I'm a commuter now.....

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited February 2014 in The bottom bracket
.....so you can all f*ck off.

Started my new job this week and I have started to commute in. Depending on the route it's between 8 and 11 miles each way, and when I rode home today it was dark and windy and raining, so I'm officially hard as nails. Not like you soft lot only riding during the TdF season and only when the sun's out.

If anybody wants any tips on how to toughen up, just let me know.

BTW, my collar boner still hasn't gone away.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You have to go 'over there' before you count as a commuter. Otherwise you are just a road cyclist who has really crap routes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    You'll fit right in over there :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Have you had your jabs?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,197
    Are you helmeted?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Are you helmeted?

He's a helmet alright.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • GiantMike
    I'm a proper commuter; I don't speak to other commuters. They're scum. I'm a solo renegade forging my way through the bleak winter Wiltshire mornings and the dark wet Wiltshire nights. One man, one bike, one hell of a story, and I aint sharing it with no Communters. I jump the reds with my headphones pumping, sometimes with and sometimes without a helmet. I've got lights so bright they'd burn your retinas off and if I drag race a car I know it aint me eating humble pie at the end of it. I'm such a great commuter I ride primary, secondary AND tertiary, flash the Gore-Tex and Altura and can trackstand for 14 minutes. Chuck Norris has a picture of me on his wall. In skimpy lycra.

Yeah, my 8 miles is a test of speed, endurance and nerve, up hill, down dale, across streams and rivers, thrusting my winter bike into the future. And I've still got a collar boner.
  • pinno
    GiantMike wrote:
    I'm a proper commuter; I don't speak to other commuters. They're scum. I'm a solo renegade forging my way through the bleak winter Wiltshire mornings and the dark wet Wiltshire nights. One man, one bike, one hell of a story, and I aint sharing it with no Communters. I jump the reds with my headphones pumping, sometimes with and sometimes without a helmet. I've got lights so bright they'd burn your retinas off and if I drag race a car I know it aint me eating humble pie at the end of it. I'm such a great commuter I ride primary, secondary AND tertiary, flash the Gore-Tex and Altura and can trackstand for 14 minutes. Chuck Norris has a picture of me on his wall. In skimpy lycra.

Yeah, my 8 miles is a test of speed, endurance and nerve, up hill, down dale, across streams and rivers, thrusting my winter bike into the future. And I've still got a collar boner.

I like it - communter with proper attitude.Or perhaps this is the beginning of the paranoid, angry commuter "I take my life into my own hands everyday" psychosis that they all suffer from?

About the collar boner, I told you to shut it in the door a few times. If that doesn't work, use a vice (preferably a No7).

You don't commute into that b4stard windswept sh1t hole Swindlem do you?
    Or are you a posh Bath boy with your 'I say, Regency facades' and iron railings, golly gosh?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    GiantMike wrote:

Why would your headphones wear a helmet? Will you post a video of your commute?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Do you have a flouro vest?

When we getting a youtube vid of you yelling cnut at every driver that passes by you, exclaiming they are too close even with a foot gap.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Veronese68 wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Why would your headphones wear a helmet? Will you post a video of your commute?

Just about to mention this. He didn't say anything about a camera, so he can't be a commuter yet.

The older I get, the better I was.

• MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    GiantMike wrote:

:lol::lol:

Gold, just pure gold.
  • I misread the thread title, I thought GM had decided to become a computer. :lol:
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    In that case, you are also responsible for Communter gate. And get a f*cking camera, otherwise you're just a pretender !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Surely only doing 11 miles doesn't count as any form of cycling, not even commuting? 18 miles is the bare minimum required to count.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    GiantMike wrote:

I think I want to communt too now!
    I'll have to be with you in spirit only though until I can get a job a bit further from home. :cry:
  • Are you one of these guys : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCqz3l33kU :-)

Probably best now watched at work!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Well, try taking the pills and you could get back to racing :mrgreen:
  • GiantMike
    Day 2 and I decided to take to long ride both ways, 9.7 miles each way. When you commute as much as I do, you get used to occasional issues with other road users.....

...so, I'm rocking a big gear and smashing it on the A36 getting some decent training in when some idiot in a Mondeo decides he aint gonna wait behind me and pulls out to overtake. F*ck that, I thought, and swerved out to block his path. Inconsiderate git couldn't wait another couple of miles until the Dual Carriageway bit even though I was on fire, averaging 14.5mph with a cheeky tailwind, legs pumping away, heart racing and I'm in the zone. So, to stop him trying anything else stupid, probably egged on by the massive queue behind him, I'm now riding the middle of my lane. He starts honking and flashing, what a knob!

Anyway, eventually he got past me and stopped up ahead and flagged me down. It's on, there's a fight coming and I'm a fit cyclist. 'Would you mind pulling over in the future please' he said, 'and learn to share the road'. 'F*ck you' I said. And then everything went black and I don't remember anything until the ambulance arrived. One of the 40 or so witnesses said that he punched me, but nobody was prepared to give a statement to the Police because they all thought I was riding like a tw@t. Just goes to show how drivers all stick together against us riders when the 5-0 turn up. Anyway, the Rozzers aint pressing charges against me, but I'll need to keep a low profile for a while because I'm a marked man now.

The ride home was much less eventful as I had to back off because I can't see out of my left eye as it's so swollen. Still managed to average 12.4mph though. Noticed more filth around too, so word's got about that I'm out there on the roads and they just don't like it. And I've still got a collar boner.
  • You should have got in first with your D-lock.

You have got a D-lock now you're a communter, haven't you?
  • pinno
    GiantMike wrote:
    Day 2 and...
    ...And I've still got a collar boner.

Have you tried jamming it in your chainset and turning the pedal? (Preferably an old worn out one with gnarly teeth).
  • GiantMike wrote:
    .....so you can all f*ck off.

Started my new job this week and I have started to commute in. Depending on the route it's between 8 and 11 miles each way, and when I rode home today it was dark and windy and raining, so I'm officially hard as nails. Not like you soft lot only riding during the TdF season and only when the sun's out.

If anybody wants any tips on how to toughen up, just let me know.

BTW, my collar boner still hasn't gone away.

So is Grahem Norton in the changin rooms.
  • GiantMike
    213 weather warnings for wind and rain, loads of floods in Wiltshire and I still commuted to and from work today despite the 35mph headwind home. Didn't see any of you lot out there so I guess you all took the easy option and drove in or called in sick. Lightweights!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Nah, I was out there as well today. Bike racks were a bit empty at work - bunch of pansies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]