RideLondon...missed out on the ballot...what are the options

davep1
davep1 Posts: 836
edited March 2014 in Road general
So according to the website (which worked on a pc yesterday) I am "cancelled" so I am frantically looking for a way in.

The obvious route is a charity place. I have contacted the Alzheimers Society as I did it with them last year; I see they expect a pledge of £800 (up from £750) plus entry fee. There are others, some of which want you to pay an admin or registration fee before they tell you if you have a place; I don't mind paying to get in and some kind of admin fee, but I am not scatter-gunning admin fees out there to all that may accept me!

Does anyone know of any charities that definitely have places left?

There are also events companies with places, such as -

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co. ... rtive-2014

Looks like the cheapest option is £309 each for 2 people. Almost as much as a charity place! And I live 90 mins drive from London so doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Do places become available later when people cancel? Any other ways of getting in?

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I mentioned it in the other thread - but we got in last year via a team entry by our cycling club. We entered a team of 5 riders around March time, we could have had 2 or more teams if we wanted, there were no restrictions. The results suggest 148 club teams finished last year. Ours isn’t listed because one of our 5 riders didn’t finish (so more teams may have started). My time as an individual is there though. We plan to enter 3 teams this year.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    For the sort of money people are asking for to ride, and it seems people are prepared to pay, I think I would rather jump on a plane and go and ride a continental sportive.

It all seems a little out of control. I am disappointed to not get a place, but it is just a bike ride.
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    edited February 2014
    [post deleted]
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    LLR want £600 for an entry. I had a place with them but have withdrawn due to getting in on the ballot, so lash at it boys!

(And, I'm not being cold - I personally raised over £1500 for them during the course of last year and was involved in organising events that raised near £20k for them. So i feel not a shred of guilt.)
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    As I think myself and others have posted, keep an eye out for the event sponsors. They will be given places and may well issue them to customers (as Wiggle did last year). Or get a job with Prudential......
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    marcusjb wrote:
    For the sort of money people are asking for to ride, and it seems people are prepared to pay, I think I would rather jump on a plane and go and ride a continental sportive.

It all seems a little out of control. I am disappointed to not get a place, but it is just a bike ride.

My thoughts exactly.

As cool as it would be to do the RideLondon, I'd rather spend the hunderds it will now cost on a few days in the sun on my bike, or on shiny parts for my bike, or on new kit... or on anything else that isn't a huge outlay for little reward... Okay, shiny new parts could be considered that ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • DaveP1 wrote:
    So according to the website (which worked on a pc yesterday) I am "cancelled" so I am frantically looking for a way in.

The obvious route is a charity place. I have contacted the Alzheimers Society as I did it with them last year; I see they expect a pledge of £800 (up from £750) plus entry fee. There are others, some of which want you to pay an admin or registration fee before they tell you if you have a place; I don't mind paying to get in and some kind of admin fee, but I am not scatter-gunning admin fees out there to all that may accept me!

Looks like the cheapest option is £309 each for 2 people. Almost as much as a charity place! And I live 90 mins drive from London so doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Do places become available later when people cancel? Any other ways of getting in?

Or you could just suck it up and go ride a few sportives instead? It's not worth hundreds of pounds.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    It won't be a few hundred pounds if I get a charity place. Some people have misgivings about asking folk to "pay for them to enjoy themselves on a bike ride" which I understand, but I will be asking for sponsorship to do it in under 5 hours, which at 49 years old I think is quite a challenge. 5 hrs 45 last year, as a yard stick.

And if any of you doubt it is worth it, it was the best cycling thing I have ever done, by a long way. The closed roads, the interaction with the crowds, the sheer numbers of cyclists, whanging under Admiralty Arch and flogging myself to the line, the whole day itself.

I've done UK sportives and cycled abroad, and they are great too, but nothing I have experienced was like RL 2013.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Sheesh - how much?
    I'm doing the Tour of Flanders sportive in April for less (travel included).

As above, if you didn't get in and wanted to do it - bad luck (genuinely) - but you can do any number of sportives round the Surrey Hills at a fraction of the cost & possibly better organised. That or head out there and ride round the Surrey Hills for free (it really is good riding & well worth the visit)?
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    marcusjb wrote:

This. My ride to Istanbul will cost less than a charity place to the Ride 100. Save your money and ride to Bruges instead.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Just ride your bike?
  • DaveP1 wrote:

Where on the website is it? I haven't heard anything but can't find it on the website ...
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • ... and here is me living en route and wondering what the fuss is all about... possibly the worst sportive course in the world... or at least I can't think of a worse one... anyone?
    left the forum March 2023
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    cant believe people are prepared to pay 3 figures for this

bonkers
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ... and here is me living en route and wondering what the fuss is all about... possibly the worst sportive course in the world... or at least I can't think of a worse one... anyone?

Flat out in the Fens is probably worse. Anyway, I really don't understand the rabid need to do RideLondon - how it is so massively oversubscribed I'm sure I'll never understand. I think if you live in the area, it might be fun to do but as an event to travel to at significant cost? I'd rather just go for a ride in the Dales for free. No crowds and stunning scenery works better for me.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    ... and here is me living en route and wondering what the fuss is all about... possibly the worst sportive course in the world... or at least I can't think of a worse one... anyone?

Surely there's a sportive that crosses New Mexico on the I-40...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • MartinGT
    Rolf F wrote:

Flat out in the Fens is probably worse. Anyway, I really don't understand the rabid need to do RideLondon - how it is so massively oversubscribed I'm sure I'll never understand. I think if you live in the area, it might be fun to do but as an event to travel to at significant cost? I'd rather just go for a ride in the Dales for free. No crowds and stunning scenery works better for me.

+1
  • Rolf F wrote:

I think it's the "I was there" factor... bit like going to Glastonbury... you'll have to live in a stinky tent, crap in a portaloo and eat the worst food you ever had in your life for a full weekend... but hey oh, the experience and the photos you can upload on Facebook... and the "like"button that rockets in the high teens

I did the Ronde Van Vlaanderen once... 18,000 entrants... it was horrible, despite the course being legendary
  • MartinGT
    Rolf F wrote:

I think it's the "I was there" factor... bit like going to Glastonbury... you'll have to live in a stinky tent, crap in a portaloo and eat the worst food you ever had in your life for a full weekend... but hey oh, the experience and the photos you can upload on Facebook... and the "like"button that rockets in the high teens

I did the Ronde Van Vlaanderen once... 18,000 entrants... it was horrible, despite the course being legendary

I did it two years ago. It was mental with the amount of people, but climbing the Muur and having people cheer you on was fun.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Having ridden both RL and in the Dales/lakes/Spain/France they are two separate things. RL is good not because of the course (flat) or the scenery (70% grey, 30% green) -its the closed roads, the crowds (last year anyway) and riding past famous landmarks without having to look out for a construction lorry.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

I do hear you for sure, and I also live pretty much en route.

It'll be a great experience I am sure - not for the scenery or anything like that. But it is a rare opportunity to ride on closed roads in the UK. I went and watched some of it last year in Richmond Park, and it was great to see people out enjoying being on a bike. I like that sort of stuff and I entered it because it would be fun to ride it, not take it ever so seriously and just enjoy the day.

I am slightly disappointed not to be in it, but that is life. I will go and cheer on my better half who did get a place.

I do understand why people are so desperate to enter, but, as enjoyable and unique as it might be, it really isn't worth hundreds of pounds (either directly paying that or asking your mates to sponsor you), I really would rather hop over to the continent on a plane or ferry and ride something over there. You can even do 4 or 5 days in the Alps/Pyrenees for £4-500 and go and ride on legendary roads - I guarantee the memories of standing on top of a world-famous climb will stay with you much, much longer than those of riding along Portsmouth Road through Esher.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It's rather dependant on what you want out of it ...

1) it's a hundred miles - that's still a lot to many riders
    2) it's London and on the Olympic RR route - so there's "kudos" for riding the same route as the elite athletes.
    3) it's closed roads so you can ride almost with impunity
    4) it goes through some pretty iconic places so there's the kudos for riding down the Mall etc etc ...
    5) there are a lot of others around, both riders and spectators - which is a boost for many ppl -

You could ask the same question of the London Marathon or any of these sorts of events - you could do the same distance with differing levels of effort for much less if you just went out and did it by yourself ... which leads me to.

6) by paying a not insignificant sum to do the ride, some find that the motivation to do the ride come-what-may ...

By not committing to an event such as this, some ppl will add the excuses up to not do the ride or training - there are always "more important things to be doing" ... but if you've made a commitment to do it then you tend to push those others aside.

I would've ridden it had it not clashed with another (family) event. And I would've loved to have ridden it with my wife - even though it'd cost just shy of £100 for entry before we've even looked at travel and accommodation....

I'm now looking for another event in the "summer" that will give us something to aim for ... it needs to be ~100 miles but not too hilly ... and achievable to do in a long weekend (to include travelling to/from the event)
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    So today is the day.

Will have to wait til tonight to see whether im in or out.....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    It'll be a great experience I am sure - not for the scenery or anything like that. But it is a rare opportunity to ride on closed roads in the UK.

http://www.etapepennines.co.uk/ - closed roads + some of the best scenery in the UK.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    2) it's London and on the Olympic RR route - so there's "kudos" for riding the same route as the elite athletes.

Ah yes, the RR won by Alexandre Vinokourov... :mrgreen:

Kudos misplaced, though.... Beside the Olympics, I don't think any elite athlete actually cares about the annual race they organise on the course... and that includes Cavendish, I'm afraid... there is probably more glory for him in winning a stage of the Tour of Qatar or lifting the Agostoni cup trophy
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    edited February 2014
    marcusjb wrote:

Indeed. The route isn't exactly that good, and judging by the times posted last year isn't all that challenging either. Like you, I applied, but try and do a sportive in the mountains each year.

Doing the Tre Dreilander this year for €65, with a nice trip over the Stelvio midway through. I'd have gladly done the London event and all, but if I had to spend hundreds to do so then a granfondo seems much the better choice imo.

That said of course, it's great that there is such an event, and we can't really quibble about the lack of mountains to ride up. If it gets more people into cycling then fair dos.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Ah yes, the RR won by Alexandre Vinokourov... :mrgreen:

Kudos misplaced, though.... Beside the Olympics, I don't think any elite athlete actually cares about the annual race they organise on the course... and that includes Cavendish, I'm afraid... there is probably more glory for him in winning a stage of the Tour of Qatar or lifting the Agostoni cup trophy

Ah - yes, that's why I put it in those inverted commas ....
  • If I didn't win a place in the ballot, and can't get one through personal contacts (as I'd hoped), I'll probably do the same as last year: ride 100-odd miles in Kent, with as many clubmates as are in the same position. I'm already doing two sportives on mainland Europe this year both of which will be harder than RideLondon, and plan to complete at least half a dozen centuries if the knees and weather oblige, so I don't feel I'd be missing out all that much. The idea of spending hundreds of quid for a place is ludicrous to me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    marcusjb wrote:

If you can afford to pay for a Ride London place then you can afford to jump on a plane and do another event as well.
    Its not either/or.

Ride London is iconic and it is not really comparable to other events.

I am personally happy to pay to ride it if I have to and will do in the near future no doubt.
    I would love to go abroad too but its the hassle that has stopped me more than the cost.

Ride London is a weekend away to London for me and I plan to do it every year. I will not be paying for all of the years so the average cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things.
    You earn X amount and just decide what you want to do with the disposable bit most.

People whinge about you spending money on something, not because they cannot afford it, but because they want everything they have and the thing they are whinging about.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is a very slim chance but didn't a guy last year get a place because they used his photo on the 'congratulations' magazine?