Cycle Derby

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
Ouch!

Has anyone seen the prices for this?

http://www.cyclederbysportive.co.uk/

£35 for the middle and long rides.... which is a shame as the route looks like a nice one.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Going rate for big events now I suppose, if they can get 2k entries then I'd probably do it, if it's a few hundred then no point shelling out for what would be a club run on roads I ride all the time - I may end up accidentally doing a bit of the route in the day. Not convinced starting and finishing in the city centre will work but time will tell.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Looking at the site it says that they are expecting about 200 people to do the 160Km course. I'm only paying £14 for the Notts sportive which had 5 times that number last year (admittedly I did the stupidly early booking option to get the best price)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DeVlaeminck
    I disn't see that but then again the website plays up on this ipad - possibly the only one worse than this forum for functionality but at least Bike Radar can blame the adverts.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Ouch!

Has anyone seen the prices for this?

http://www.cyclederbysportive.co.uk/

£35 for the middle and long rides.... which is a shame as the route looks like a nice one.

Ouch indeed. Ridiculous price. Most Sportives are priced between £20 and £30, only the Wiggle ones or the closed road or charity specific ones tend to be higher. I'm not paying that kind of money to ride on roads I ride for free. If the council (effectively the organisers) want me to chip in for the cost of the Velodrome, I will, when I use it! :roll:
  • DeVlaeminck
    The prices for the shorter rides look worse - £25 for 40k round the city!

As I say I think £35 for a big time event would be OK, but yeah they probably should be trying to grow the event rather than jumping straight in and thinking they've got the next Dragon Ride or Fred Whitton. The company they are working with comes from a background of kids holiday sports camps - not a group of cyclists looking to make a business out of their passion. I think it shows a bit in the marketing - ie pictures of kids in t-shirts.
  • It's kind of frustrating as you want to help promote cycling in the City, but this is just too expensive
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    Looks like they have amended the price to guilt you into raising money for charity. Still more than I'd want to pay. Probably not the right thing to do but I'll probably just ride the route on the day for free and chuck a tenner or so to Macmillan.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Does anyone else find their website veeeeerrrry slow? Maybe it just doesn't work with an ipad?
  • R0B75
    Works fine for me on PC in Chrome.
  • R0B75
    The sportive is now priced £28 if you choose the Macmillan option, which is more reasonable. Doesn't seem like such a rip off now. I don't mind trying to help raise a bit of money so might well sign up for the 100 miler.