Ladies Tour of Qatar : Liv?Giant??

TimB34
TimB34 Posts: 316
edited February 2014 in Pro race
According to the cyclingnews reports, there are riders from "Team Giant-Shimano" and "Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team"...

They're both in the overall team classification too.

What's going on there? I thought that the old Rabobank team had changed into Blanco then Giant for the men, and directly to Giant for the ladies?

It doesn't help that cn seem to use both interchangeably in their photo captions.

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Ha... I was just thinking this morning that Giant were doing a great job of sponsoring cycling teams at the moment.

If I recall, Giant-Shimano (sometimes Liv-Shimano) is the women's team run by the same guys at the men's Giant-Shimano team. So last year they were Argos-Shimano.

When Rabobank pulled their sponsorship, I think it was only for the men. Afterall, why lose out on sponsoring Vos. So they kept sponsoring the women's team for a couple of more years. Hence Rabo-Liv. With Giant (using their female focused brand name, Liv) chipping in as well...
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    AH ok -

So, Team Giant-Shimano (UCI code GIW) is what used to be Argos-Shimano. They wear kit with Liv Giant on the front:
    Qatar_Stage1_Wild_Team_Giant_Shimano.jpg

So Liv-Shimano is the same as Giant-Shimano, and is different to Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team, that used to be Rabobank (and includes Vos):
    13_4c750ce2581da7be_1024box.jpg

Different teams, different kit, pretty much the same bikes
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Yip. That's about it... though why Giant-Shimano/Liv-Shimano are used interchangeably I don't know.

Also, don't forget the third Giant team in that peloton at the moment China Chongming-Giant Pro Cycling. At least its not another Dutch team but instead comprised of Chinese/HK riders. Though bizarrely Chilean registered (according to the ToQ website).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,220
    Who's that winning in the top picture? She seems rather muscular for a female cyclist!
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Pross wrote:
    Who's that winning in the top picture? She seems rather muscular for a female cyclist!

Kirsten Wild.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Pross wrote:

Kirsten Wild. Rides a lot of track too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,220
    Cheers. She certainly looks powerful.