Evans Cycles Terrible Buying Experience....

redmarble
redmarble Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Road general
Hi. Sorry, if this is the wrong forum but hopefully this will alert some of you, who are in then US of how a horrible experience I've had with Evanscycles.com.

I purchased a fairly expensive jersey and bibshorts on January 2, 2014, from evanscycles.com. The online order went through fine, like any other online order. I received an instant email confirming the order. So I waited... Three weeks later, and I still had not received anything from them. (I waited this long as my experience in ordering from probikekit.com usually takes 2-3 weeks to deliver to the US. Ribblecycles.com are by far the fastest, as they average about 5-8 days to have my orders delivered to me, and sometimes even faster!)

So, I send an email to them, via their "Contact Us" page, inquiring about my order and tracking information. The following day, I receive two different replies. The first one stated that they were sorry that I didn't like what I wanted and that they were setting up an exchange and that the order was returned. (I'm like what??) Then on the second email (which was send an hour later), they are apologetic that the "Consignment" was lost in transit. That a NEW consignment had been arranged for shipment. That it would take 10 days for delivery. (I am confused but assume that things were sorted out and my items were being shipped. I don't reply back with my concern.)

Days later I get a new email from them. It includes an invoice and a note stating that part of my order was dispatched on the 24th of January and that they were waiting for the other item to ship. I notice that the order delivery address was changed from the original invoice. I wanted my items shipped to my other home and not my billing address.

I, now, quickly send them an email asking to know what exactly is going on, and about my shipping address. Twenty-four hours later I get a reply. They are again sorry for the order. They then tell me that part of the order is out of stock. That I can discuss an alternative product via phone or "this email". I go back to their site and decide to order a larger size of the same item- the site shows stock. So, I reply to the email with the new product info. I also ask to check my shipping address, that they had made an error in the second invoice. A day later and no reply. So, I send a copy of that same email through their "Contact us" page. Another day passes... and, nothing!

That was the last I heard from them. It's been three days since I sent them the last message and have not had a reply from Evans Cycles. I was initially communicating with an "Adam". But, after the second email from them, no names were given.

It's January 31st and I don't have any product. Nothing has been resolved. And, they have not replied or answered any of my questions.

Should I give up??

I've about had it with their customer service! It's like pulling teeth with these guys! I guess I will have to do something I have never done... request a chargeback.

I have ordered from Probikekit and Ribble with no problems. I've ordered a Campagnolo Record group and SRAM Red parts from Ribble, recently, over several transactions, without any problems. It's my first order with Evans Cycles and for sure my last!

I'm just letting you guys/gals know that if you order with Evans Cycles and do encounter a problem, be prepared to deal with a terrible customer support team!!

Comments

• This is probably not the best place to grind your axe. Particularly as it is your first post. :D

Why not try and sort it out with their management?

I would start here......

Mr Nick Wilkinson Chief Executive

Email nick.wilkinson@evanscycles.com
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Thank you for the email address. I'll be sending an email to Mr. Nick Wilkinson ASAP!

Sorry for the rant. I did state that this was probably not the correct forum for my post. Even though I do only have one post, I, by no means, am a newbie in the forum platform.

I have made easily over several hundred online order, via WWW, throughout my internet experience. I always praise those exceptional vendors, whether good or bad, on appropriate forums and on seller's product rating pages. It is sad to say that I can only remember of one other instance where I had a really bad experience. I don't bash, just stating the facts, in this case.

Thanks, again.
  • You are better off calling them. I called their customer services to resolve a ride it 3 for 2 offer problem. They sorted it in 3 minutes.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    antsmithmk wrote:
    You are better off calling them. I called their customer services to resolve a ride it 3 for 2 offer problem. They sorted it in 3 minutes.

+1

Yes, phone them. Then you know that they have understood the problem.

TBH, out of all the major online retailers Evans are the ones I now use the least. Yes, I have had some trouble free transactions with them too, but they have messed up too many orders for me to bother with them much any more. And their price match policy is a weary process. I once asked them to price match a wheelset but they refused, insisting that they sold their wheels singly, therefore the wheelset I was asking them to price match was in fact a different product. WTF?! Nobs.
  • Sounds about normal for Evans tbf fair
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Actually that sounds right. You would expect to pay a bit more for two single wheels than a wheelset.
  • wonder if they have issues ?

noticed they have a few of jobs going in the mechanic and store departments.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Actually that sounds right. You would expect to pay a bit more for two single wheels than a wheelset.

Yeah. But at the time ( ayear or so ago) you couldn't buy ANY complete road wheelset from them at all. This was a tactic to avoid them having to price match.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Everyone in the UK already knows Evans is a rubbish shop. Why someone from the US would willing spend money there is beyond me. What did you order?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    You are better off calling them. I called their customer services to resolve a ride it 3 for 2 offer problem. They sorted it in 3 minutes.

I have found that to be a bit hit and miss. I have spoken to staff with a real 'can do' attitude and others not so good. It has got to the point where I ask them to email me to confirm what they have said.
    Always had good service in my local branch (Lakeside) though.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    as mentioned by Grill and others, Evans are pretty rubbish. Had a few dealings where I've cancelled orders that were in stock but turned not to be in (after waiting a week with no contact or sign of dispatch). I only resorted to buying my garmin from them as, miraculously, they had 1 in stock at my local store and I was impatient.
  • I got a heavily discounted jersey in their sale. It arrived with a catch in the fabric and a dirty boot print across the back (not why it was marked down). Nothing serious, but enough to make you think I'll not go there again.
  • is this your first order with them?
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Not surprising really, halfords are always shocking
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I used to avoid Evans after a couple of bad experiences (total incompetence) with their mechanics. However I have to say the customer service in Wimbledon is very good. Very helpful, good discounts and the mechanics are pretty good too. When I did have an issue some time ago (mechanic cross threaded a pedal and tried to hide it!) the store it happened at (not Wimbledon) were uninterested but a call to their customer services had the store manager phoning me within half an hour and being all apologetic and offering a new chainset! It's definitely worth a call to their customer services.
  • I have also experienced order grief with Evans. When they mucked up one of my orders I just called them to complain (I can't remember all the ins & outs) but it ended with them sorting my order out, plus reimbursing me postage fees & offering me £10 voucher. I got them up to £25, so not a bad result all round. I do still use them but tend to do my orders over the phone or in store (which can be a pain in itself as a lot of them are similar to Asda dwellers).

If the price is right & all that. I always pick up in store now though, if there are any issues, they can be sorted there & then.
  • Grill wrote:
    Everyone in the UK already knows Evans is a rubbish shop. Why someone from the US would willing spend money there is beyond me. What did you order?

Hi. Thanks, everyone for your input. Only if I would have known, I wouldn't have placed my order with them.

I'm getting back to the sport, after 10 or so years. I have been building my new bike. I have been buying components, clothing, accessories, etc. Some items I do buy at my local bike shop, but most of my purchases are made online. I have realized that buying in Europe, specifically the UK, I can save over 35-40% on most items! I really like buying at Ribble- they by far have the best prices all around!

I was looking for a Pearl Izumi BMC team pro Jersey and Bib-shorts set. After some research, Evans had what I needed, and in stock, so I thought. They also had the best prices on these particular items. Ordering the same items, here in the states, I was going to pay about $50 more for both items!

I have a sense that they might be low on staff or are really lazy!
  • is this your first order with them?

Yes, It was my first order. I've made several orders with Ribble and Probikekit. I really love Ribble- they have a very simple ordering process, takes a few days to send out/gather order, but delivery to US, California is very fast. I've invested over $4k US with them, in the past 4 months. And, all transactions have been perfect!
    There are some items the Wiggle has that I would like to order, but I have never placed an order with them. I have heard good things about them, and will be placing a small order just to try them out.
  • I thought Evans was an online only store. I didn't think that they had a physical store. Also, being "across the pond" as they say, communicating via email was more than sufficient. But, I guess I will be have to give them a call, as I just received an email letting me know that my second item was being sent out.

I had asked them to answer three questions but, they ignored them. Actually, the other questions, prior to this last email, were also totally ignored.

When they told me that one of my items were out of stock and to select an "alternative" item, I went back to their site and selected a LARGE size, instead (I actually wanted a medium). I also noticed that it was $10 less. I asked if this price was going to be applied. Of course, no reply and the new invoice included the old price. ...Now, I will be calling for this...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Wiggle are fine, a bit slow to respond to e-mails but you can always speak to them with livechat, Chain Reaction Cycles are good too and Merlin cycles are also very good. Probikekit are pretty good now and they always seem to have discount vouchers and respond to e-mails quick. They are all only or mainly internet shops unlike Evans.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Don't give up they will sort it out, they did for me, it did involve a phone call.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is probably not the best place to grind your axe. Particularly as it is your first post. :D

Why not try and sort it out with their management?

I would start here......

Mr Nick Wilkinson Chief Executive

Email nick.wilkinson@evanscycles.com

I don't really get this whole first post thing? Is it a rule you can't speak your mind or say what you want in your first post? Is there a minimum limit for the amount of posts you have to have before you can have an opinion?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Well maybe I'm lucky but I'm going to put in a good word for Evans although I agree it in no way diminishes the OP's issues. I've used probably 4 or 5 different shops and never had any issues (apart from one - see below) and I use their online service extensively. I've bought things all the way from gels through helmets, shoes, clothing all the way up to a £2k+ bike. Everything ordered online has always turned up promptly and on the odd occasion I've had to return things (clothing didn't fit) it's never been an issue and I've even had them price match on my say-so or my smartphone (I think they've used their POS terminal to check - seems like if they have internet access on it maybe ?). The staff have always seemed helpful even when the stores fairly busy (I use the London ones)

The only grouse I had was a bike service to sort out indexing which I'd wrestled with unsuccessfully and I only found out (should've checked beforehand I admit) going up the Stelvio that I couldn't get into the bottom two sprockets which luckily I was able to remediate on the spot 'cos there was no way I'd have got up on a 23 !

The problem is that like tripadvisor, you'll always get a far higher percentage of people complaining online than those who had a trouble free experience.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sjmclean wrote:
    I don't really get this whole first post thing? Is it a rule you can't speak your mind or say what you want in your first post? Is there a minimum limit for the amount of posts you have to have before you can have an opinion?

No - but a high proportion of the posts complaining about suppliers come from people making their first post. Do you value and trust the opinion of complete strangers more than your friends? What is the motivation of someone who makes no contribution to a forum until they want to complain about something? If someone whose opinion you have a tendency to trust slags someone or something off you might have a reason to believe them - if it is someone whose never posted before then why would you? Who knows what their agenda might be.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • We've had very good experiences with Evans - their shops in Gateshead and Kendal - very helpful staff. Also ordering online was fine. As it was with Wiggle.

I suppose there is always the possibility of a problem - and sometimes, if you correspond by email, there will be misunderstandings.
  • thinly veiled i have two houses post from the OP ;-)

dont like evans after they told my other half a road bike would not be suitable for her - that's any road bike, not just a specific one
    went to an independant shop & were dealt with much better, they even changed the tape on the new bike as she didnt like the colour on the original spec
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Tried to buy a set of Fulcrum 1's from Evans a couple of years ago...after they apparently dispatched them and then told me they were returned to them after a week without the courier ever attempting delivery and now they were out of stock and it would take another 2 weeks to get some in.

I gave up and have never ordered from them again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hibster wrote:
    thinly veiled i have two houses post from the OP ;-)

dont like evans after they told my other half a road bike would not be suitable for her - that's any road bike, not just a specific one
    went to an independant shop & were dealt with much better, they even changed the tape on the new bike as she didnt like the colour on the original spec

What reason did they give for saying a road bike was not suitable?

Seems a bit harsh to sl4g off the whole chain because one person in one shop said something you thought was nonsense.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    I'm shocked and amazed that sports good are cheaper here than in the USA. I always thought that what they pay in dollars, we pay in pounds was the fairly accurate rule of thimb!
  • Carbonator wrote:
    hibster wrote:
    thinly veiled i have two houses post from the OP ;-)

What reason did they give for saying a road bike was not suitable?

Seems a bit harsh to sl4g off the whole chain because one person in one shop said something you thought was nonsense.

the person represented the shop

was so her back wasnt overly stretched, i suggested shorter or multi position stem, adjusting handlebars & hoods, different frame sizes etc
    they just had no interest in it at all, just a flat no, not suitable
    it's a pile em high sell em off bike supermarket

the ILB took time, showed interest & got the sale