Heston Blumenthal vomit bug

RDW
RDW Posts: 1,900
edited February 2014 in The bottom bracket
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26006223

He said he aimed to amaze guests with "taste sensations beyond their imagination" rather than exposing them to a "really nasty couple of days of heaving".

Second time it's happened at one of his places. £190 for two, and much the same effect as a dodgy kebab van. Any of you high living types know if his food is worth it?

Comments

• I think most people go to the Fat Duck to say they've been, shame really as it's the technical skill and knowhow that should bring people through the door. I'd love to go as I've always been into molecular gastronomy.

As for the food, you pay for what you get. The price is reflective of the quality of produce and level of skill involved. People used to moan at paying £50 for a 4 course at the 3 rosette restaurant I used to run, but if you want to have good food it's all down to individual preference and what you perceive to be value for money.

All restaurant have a case of the deli bellys, law of averages really.
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Rode past The Fat Duck this morning, and have had a bit of a dodgy stomach this afternoon. This thing isn't airborne is it?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Rode past The Fat Duck this morning, and have had a bit of a dodgy stomach this afternoon. This thing isn't airborne is it?

Nope. It's all those fumes from the M25, North Road Circular, M3, M4, Heathrow, Peckham...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Not Peckham I draw the line at going sarf of the river
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    The only time I've ever had bad guts was at supposedly decent restaurants - mind you this was in France and I now know to steer well clear of shellfish and steak tartare in future. Never had a problem with ropey kebabs, burgers or curries though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Steak Tartare - eugh! Who said you should try it in the first place?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    That's exactly what thought afterwards. The Frogs seemed to be into this semi/uncooked beef so I thought there must be something in it seeing as they've got a good rep for food. 'Big mistake' I thought as I rushed into the nearest Parisian café bogs to unload several pints of fizzy gravy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I've had Noro virus before and it wasn't very pleasant. It was like a reverse spit roast with muck coming out of both ends.

I accidentally ordered Steak Tartare once, took one look at it and sent it back for it to be cooked. As a burger, it was quite nice, but the waiter probably thought I was a c*nt.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    RDW wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26006223

He said he aimed to amaze guests with "taste sensations beyond their imagination" rather than exposing them to a "really nasty couple of days of heaving".

Second time it's happened at one of his places. £190 for two, and much the same effect as a dodgy kebab van. Any of you high living types know if his food is worth it?

I've been to 'Dinner' and it really was excellent - had the 7 course menu on the chef's table which allows you to have all of the best dishes...

...and I didn't get ill. Would think twice about going back now though.. especially as I'd be paying this time :shock:
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Technical skill and know how...apparently doesn't extend to basic food hygiene...

Interesting to watch Heston on the telly, but it seems you'd be safer eating a few doors down at the Waterside Inn.
  • I had Steak Tartare once in France and thought it was okay, but probably wouldn't order it again. The waitress did ask me several times that I was sure I wanted to order it as most English people turn it away once it arrives at the table...
    Better than Frogs legs or Snails, who in their right mind would eat slimy Snails?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I had Steak Tartare once in France and thought it was okay, but probably wouldn't order it again. The waitress did ask me several times that I was sure I wanted to order it as most English people turn it away once it arrives at the table...
    Better than Frogs legs or Snails, who in their right mind would eat slimy Snails?

Seem to remember Sean having dodgy frogs legs giving him bad guts, quite recently.

I would probably feel sick when presented with the bill at Heston's place. :wink:
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I had Steak Tartare once in France and thought it was okay, but probably wouldn't order it again. The waitress did ask me several times that I was sure I wanted to order it as most English people turn it away once it arrives at the table...

Seem to remember Sean having dodgy frogs legs giving him bad guts, quite recently.

I would probably feel sick when presented with the bill at Heston's place. :wink:

I think that was a euphemism.

Years, no yonks, no eons ago, Lloyd Honeyghan was due to fight the unbeaten Maurice Blocker. He was training in France and said before the fight "I feel good. It must be all this French Tartare they are feeding me". He then said "...tartar Blocker". He won. I guess it had it's uses My theory is that he couldn't stand any more of the stuff and so won the fight to get home asap.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435

well made steak tartare with lovely frites is food of the gods

poorly made and/or with the wrong meat, it'll be vile, i was served one in amsterdam that seemed to be some kind of pink industrial waste, just ate the frites and went to have dinner somewhere else
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally I think quality usually turns into pretentiousness where food is concerned.
    The diner should 'deconstruct' the dish.......not the chef :lol:

I like what he did with edible knives/forks etc. on one of his shows but generally feel you should not play with your food lol.

Did not like what he did with Little Chef breakfasts. There was nothing wrong with the ingredients, it was quality that needed improving.