Pennine Bridleway help

oldskoolg60
oldskoolg60 Posts: 20
edited May 2018 in Routes
Hi there

Just joined up and wondered if anyone has done the Pennine bro9dleway in its entirety, Im just doing the bits that are local to me at the moment, Burnley/Pendle area. Has anyone any advice on train stations close by and routes to the trail. Basically Id like to do approx 15 miles each trip of the trail, but Id want to use public transport as much as possible, ie going form one train station up to teh trail, then ride a bit and head onto another train station and then jump on the train home. The settle loop bit is alrighta s its a loop so I can take the car up and not have to worry about being so far away from the car when i finish. I hope this kinda makes sense. Any help would be great, Many thanks :D

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This is the official site which might help http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-bridleway

You might have to do a bit of research on the Network Rail maps I cant see much problem on the southern half the trail never seems to be more than 10 miles from a station. A bit short of stations further north.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cheers Stubs. Will have a look
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Train stations virtually bang on the Pennine Bridleway include Settle, Horton-in-Ribblesdale and Garsdale. Ribblehead is also very close, just a 5-10 min cycle up the Hawes road to join the PBW at the Cam High Road, or a bit further up the same road to join the PBW when it turns North to cross the road at Newby Head and head towards Dent Head. Dent station is also v close to the PBW - it's a steep incline up the Coal Road to join it on a lovely "balcony" track high above the dale. Kirkby Stephen is not quite on the route, but is on one of the official feeder links (the PBW turns a bit to the NW between Garsdale and Kirkby Stephen, thereby not actually going very near KS, but it's still a great ride between the two and can get train back from KS). Or you can just cycle to KS station from the end of the PBW about 7km along the main road.

I can't comment on any of the PBW south of Settle as I've only done the Settle to KS bits.

Lucy
  • lg18 wrote:
    Train stations virtually bang on the Pennine Bridleway include Settle, Horton-in-Ribblesdale and Garsdale. Ribblehead is also very close, just a 5-10 min cycle up the Hawes road to join the PBW at the Cam High Road, or a bit further up the same road to join the PBW when it turns North to cross the road at Newby Head and head towards Dent Head. Dent station is also v close to the PBW - it's a steep incline up the Coal Road to join it on a lovely "balcony" track high above the dale. Kirkby Stephen is not quite on the route, but is on one of the official feeder links (the PBW turns a bit to the NW between Garsdale and Kirkby Stephen, thereby not actually going very near KS, but it's still a great ride between the two and can get train back from KS). Or you can just cycle to KS station from the end of the PBW about 7km along the main road.

I can't comment on any of the PBW south of Settle as I've only done the Settle to KS bits.

Lucy

If you're looking at these stations, look up the "dales rail" service. Goes through all these on a sunday from blackpool to carlisle. I got my bike on no prob's
  • lg18 wrote:

Lucy

Thats fantastic info. many thanks for that.
  • lg18 wrote:

Lucy

If you're looking at these stations, look up the "dales rail" service. Goes through all these on a sunday from blackpool to carlisle. I got my bike on no prob's

Cheers dude, just ticked off another section today. Now need to work out where to go next :D
  • oldskoolg60
    Thread resurrection, I finally did it completely, albeit in April 2014. What an amazing experience, blooming hard work in places especially the push up dolphinsty, recommended
  • oldskoolg60
    No I didn't do it in one hit, I did it over the course of a few Fridays, doing about 25 miles a day. Once you get into the Dales it's easier as I used to park up either at the train station or as close as possible to one then ride 25 miles which wouldn't be far off another train station and travel back to my car.
    Favourite bit for me was the descent from dolphinsty to the end, then a ride back in the road to Kirby Stephen, knowing that I'd completed it. I did it from South to North, there are some cracking bits of scenery a long the way.