Best all round cycling guide

chrisroad
chrisroad Posts: 6
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

I'm new here (first post!) and I just wondered if anyone knew a good guide, book, website, resource etc, that would help me as an all rounder. The basic things I want to improve on/get a knowledge of are: nutrition (what to eat/how to cut the fat but keep energised!), if I should be building strength either on the bike or in the gym, and some inspiration for new rides.

I've read a few blogs but not many go as in-depth as I'd like, they tend to be around one subject and just kind of scratch the surface. At the same time I don't fancy shelling out a load of cash on a book will an excess of information I don't need. I guess I'm asking if you guys know a decent website or article or guide, or even any free books and cheap books? Even Magazines!

Sorry for the extremely vague post, but I guess it's every cyclist's dream to improve in all areas, I'm at the stage in my riding now where I've bought the bike, been riding for about 18 months and doing okay distances (60miles) but feel like I could be riding faster and harder.

I'm Chris by the way, any advice is appreciated :D

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I Wouldn't worry about any special nutrition. Just eat healthy balanced diet & the right amount of it so that you are a good weight.

As for the rest if you want to improve speed/endurance ride further more often, try doing hill repeats etc. If you really want to get more technical you could get powertap & HRM, & do interval training
    Also if you want to improve motivation to push yourself on rides you can by using Strava or/and join a local bike club & try & do there chanigang rides.

I think any more specialized knowledge won't help you improve much, comapared to just the above, i.e there are not shortcuts you need to just work hard by putting the hrs in on the bike.
  • Yes, I agree thanks Moonbiker. Only experience will help, although I have lost half a stone in the last few months, goign down from 13st to 12.5, so hopefully a continuation of this will see me reach my 12 stone goal by summer. And the hill repeats are a good suggestion, I'm just going to have to ride hard like you said!

I did look on amazon, but the 'top tip' books seemed a bit too broad, with no specific areas to focus on. They just said 'work hard' and 'eat right', unless I'm looking in the wrong places. I also found this on probikekit, which seems like the 'ultimate cycling guide' to get someone like me started, but again, a lot to focus on: http://www.probikekit.co.uk/blog/probik ... cess/2014/ do you think this is a good guide to go off? If so, I'll take your advice along with it and save the pennies.

I'll also check back in and let you know how I'm getting on!
  • Also, a good point on the HRM, maybe if I start to write down my progress, I can track improvements easier.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    In terms of writing stuff down, you could also use Strava. If not already familiar then take a look, its a good training tool for seeing if you are getting quicker.
  • I was looking at Strava the other day actually, a few nice Garmin computers that work along with it. Looks like a really good tool to track progress.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Careful, strava is addictive!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd forget the idea of a guide. Just spend hours browsing the relevant forums on here. You'll get a much wider range of views / opinions, occasionally some well argued case, frequent sarcasm and derision, and with the added excitement of the inevitable downward spiral into flaming, personal abuse, and threads being locked and people banned.

You don't get that with a book.
  • You've sold it to me keef!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Set yourself a goal or two, keep them realistic.

You're already doing 60mile rides so why not aim at a century? If you feel like you need motivation book a sportive and use a training plan like this: http://www.etapemercia.co.uk/images/PDF ... n%20(6-8hr)%20(2).pdf to build up to it.

Do you Strava? If so why not pick a few segments and aim for top 10 or higher if you think your capable. Bagging a KoM is a great feeling, defending one after you've lost it is even better.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.