Pro race cross thread *spoilers*

Comments

• COME ON STYBAR
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stybar riding for the win 100%, not holding anything back right now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stybar is amazing...50m into Nys now, all incrementally.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    That was a great race - Stybar smashed that :mrgreen:
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    That was great!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Quality race.

But it got me thinking. Obviously Stybar has a huge cross background but now he is focusing on the road and just decided to do the world champs.

Imagine if it was the other way round and Nys decided to just ride the road world champs and smashed everyone, people would kick off.

I just think that if the world bands should be put on show. We won't see them at a cross race now this year. Seems a bit silly really. But that's just my 2p worth. I'll be prepared to get shot down.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Quality race, great advert for CX
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Fantastic race. Really thought it would be about whether Stybar could hold Nys and beat him in the sprint so surprised it was ultimately an error by Nys on a technical section that decided it. Good pressure from Stybar to force the mistake. Think I'll be going to Milton Keynes next year to watch this new World Cup round, will also be helping out at the Nationals that my club are running. I need to watch more of this, shame ES doesn't cover it.
  • That was nail biting! To see the world's best battle it out like that was awesome. And the crowd did very well with some funny/rude banners. Who could fail to be entertained?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Awesome race.
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    Quality race.

But it got me thinking. Obviously Stybar has a huge cross background but now he is focusing on the road and just decided to do the world champs.

Imagine if it was the other way round and Nys decided to just ride the road world champs and smashed everyone, people would kick off.

I just think that if the world bands should be put on show. We won't see them at a cross race now this year. Seems a bit silly really. But that's just my 2p worth. I'll be prepared to get shot down.

Good points but here you can lose the race from a quick crash or slide. I think the road gives you power which is where Stybar can monster the flats - it was clear to me (who hardly watches CX), that Nys was the more skilful.

Totally agree about the bands almost never been raced in if Stybar wins...a shame for the fans.
    Pross wrote:
    surprised it was ultimately an error by Nys on a technical section that decided it.

Ah, I was wondering why when I flicked away then back Nys was back in 2nd...but then to be fair to Stybar he did increase his lead almost double. What was the error and how did he force it?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ah Stybar's pappy was crying. And has amazing eyebrows.
  • andyp wrote:
    Stybar might, if he rides.

He is, but I don't think he will.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stybar- ... oogerheide

This is why I don't play PTP. :(

Still, fantastic race. Stybar is a beast!
  • Awesome race. Well done Ian Field, think he came 29th.
  • Great race - much better TV than most CX races. *moan* McCrossan's commentary was crap as always however - Stybar with his road miles and road skills - yawn. Loads of other errors as usual *moan*.
  • Just been reminded of another McCrossan clanger - first it was Stybar's aero helmet giving him a 12.5% advantage in the sprint, then it was 12.5 watts. Aaargghh. Nooo.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Just been reminded of another McCrossan clanger - first it was Stybar's aero helmet giving him a 12.5% advantage in the sprint, then it was 12.5 watts. Aaargghh. Nooo.

Then the other chap reminded him that the maths applies to roadies going at 40mph :lol:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Amazing last lap, great race. And a great and testing course after all, not dried up as much as anticipated. Cross at its best. On the one hand it's a pity the rainbow jersey won;t be on show in all major crosses, but on the other hand it's great to someone seriously combining both disciplines, like in the old days with De Vlaeminck and Van der Poel.

Huge crowds, obviously so near the Belgian border, but a bit too much negative shouting, as often with crosses (beer will play a role). Stybar was booed the whole last lap, and very clearly when he came out of his post-race interview. Not good. Same used to happen with Groenendaal. You'd think the Belgian fans understand a bit more international flavour to the field is a good thing for cross...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Finding this pretty entertaining. Good course and good camerawork.

Stybar very strong, Nys very efficient.
    I knew you would get into cross eventually :-)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Guess this is appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSZafN2fJhg
  • Just watched the 9 minute edit and can't wait to watch the whole thing.

As FJS says, cyclocross was made for road pros to keep fit in the winter, so it's kind of apt that a roadie comes and wins it.

It's not like Tom Boonen showed up and won it as well, it is Stybar's third title. I seriously believe he'll win Paris-Roubaix one day, probably once Boonen and Cancellara retire
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    BffOVFtCQAArYs4.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Bfe5inXIMAA6v3W.jpg:large

Koen Pelgrim ‏@koenpelgrim1 2h
    Big congrats to the new cyclocross world champion @zdenekstybar! The whole team was cheering for you on Mallorca: pic.twitter.com/Gs1qV3Dbxe
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tumblr_n0dm928TsY1ropreyo1_1280.jpg

As Inner Ring points out, note the number of separatist flags on display

Do Basques ride cyclocross?
  • FJS
    Do Basques ride cyclocross?
    Yes. Well they used to, unlike anywhere else in Spain. Igorre, in the Basque Country has often had the World Cup recently, and Getxo, also there the world champs some years ago. The Spanish riders on the startlist almost all have Basque sounding names.
    Now, about that Catalan flag, no clue.
  • Yes the booing was a little uncalled for. The last lap was really noticeable but there were parts of the course where Stybar was being booed every lap. There were an awful lot of Catalan flags as well as a few very large cardboard cut outs of the Belgian minister for immigration. Not necessary. It really put me off Sporza's post-race interview with Stybar, she kept looking over his shoulder.
  • Still the people with the banner that read "Een eikel altijd een eikel" raised a giggle in this house. I just want to know who it was aimed at?
  • FJS
    Still the people with the banner that read "Een eikel altijd een eikel" raised a giggle in this house. I just want to know who it was aimed at?
    It's what Paul Herijgers, Sporza co-commentator and former world champ, said a couple of days ago about Mario de Clerq, also former cross world champ. De Clerq is now DS of a cross team and had publicly suggested all other Belgian riders to ride against Nys together, in the hope that one of his guys would get the win. Herijgers and De Clerq had their disagreements in their time, hence the 'eens een eikel altijd een eikel'
  • Compton suffered an asthma attack according to CX Magazine.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    reverse angle

Bffh4rsCIAEDVCx.jpg:large