tyre causes crash ?

2»

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    cougie wrote:
    http://youtu.be/yrjAsU6RKaU 21.20 in. Poor Rudy Dhaenens.

Erm, is that a tub? :wink:

Your example is 25 years old...
    The fact remains that a tub is far less likely to come off a rim than a clincher.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Team4Luke wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Team4Luke wrote:
    everyone should keep their speed down on hills, cyclists really should think more about what you doing downhill, I've seen it go wrong twice and it's not a pretty site to see and attend.

What do you suggest - braking all the way down the hill ? That sounds more dangerous than letting the bike roll.

What is a safe speed on the bike ? I've flown down every hill I've seen in the last 30 years with no damage. Braking all the way down seems unneccessary to me.

Simply, do not accellerate over the top ie don't like some, shove it in a big gear and rev it out to gain extra speed, don't pedal if the descent is slight or soft pedal, brake on and off as you should do to ensure no overheating of the rims and control the speed down.

Decide yourself for me it's no more than about 30-35mph a speed that I hope I would survive and injuries may not be critical. A lot of speeds cyclist like to shout about as we know are in the region of 40-50+mph. At those speeds should something occur you will not be able to avoid it or get away without critical or fatal injuries.
    Much can happen that we don't like to think about, I know someone who hit a sheep at high speed, sadly he did not survive.
    Things that can and do go wrong:-

animals running out (seen it - death)
    speed wobble (seen it, aint pretty to see when you are following a friend behind watching a human bounce up and down at god only knows what speed)
    puncture
    hit a hole
    tyre blow out over heated rim
    too fast run wide hit oncoming car or crash (seen my mate run wide, crash his face into the edge of a stone wall)
    component failure ( my braking performance failed on a descent due to appalling rain and farm muck/diesel soaked roads, I am lucky to be here - I had no brakes whatsoever)

we take it far too much for granted, we have zero clothing protection unlike a motorbiker for example.

Sorry to be a downer but seen too much and seen to many new inexperienced riders coming in to cycling without any club background and guiance riding poor equipment too.

take care be safer

Sure, but life is far more exciting when you are nearer the edge.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    marcusjb wrote:

Or shorter :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    smidsy wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

Or shorter :shock:

Maybe, but that is a risk I am happy to take.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    edited February 2014
    putting tyre on without levers is not only 'normal' but is really the way it should be done, far less chance of tube pinches (perhaps just 'bruising' / weakening the tube for it to let go later) etc. Then always take the time to make sure the tyre is well seated all the way round, both sides of rim, before full inflation.

Tyre off rim before puncture not very common, usually poor fitting would have been a contribution tho very occasional defects are bound to slip through the production process.

The Ultremo, IME, a great tyre, but it is a lightweight 'race' tyre and can be suscecptable to sidewall damage from stones etc, one for warm dry summer days, with latex tubes and listening to them hum on warm tarmac.

Wet winter riding stick with something more durable such as Gatorskins or Duranos.

Meantime, OP, Get well soon :-)
    fay ce que voudres
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I had a front tyre (clincher, GP4000s) blow when I hit a stone going downhill on my commute. At 50mph - I saw the computer tick over to 50 at exactly the moment it blew: thankfully I was going straight, goodness knows what could have happened on a bend...
    I simply braked & instinctively leant back hard to keep the weight off it. The rim had a couple of fairly nasty dents but I managed to change the tube and get the tyre back on & limp home slowly with a fairly large hole with tube bulging through.

Not sure what, if anything, that proves, but it does happen, I'm glad I got away with it and I'm sorry the OP didn't - speedy recovery to you.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Scarey thread. I enjoy fast downhills but I do wonder about tyres, overheating rims, foreign objects, etc. Presumably pro racers use tubs because they are safer at high speed? I also never ceased to be amazed how pros seem to stand up after big crashes (unless they've broken their collarbone), hop onto a spare bike and zoom off after the peloton. Do they just bounce better?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1