Cannondale Synapse - bent wheel

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
So, in Nov/Dec I had to take my bike to my local bikeshop to get a replacement rear wheel as it had been bent badly - bu someone or something - while I'd left it locked up on a local street. New wheel and fitting cost around £80.

This week, I cycled to work, went to place my Cannondale Synapse in a upper level rack at work, then bike didnt engage in the rack properly, slipped out and another bent rear wheel that needs replacing.

My Synapse is a 2011 model I think. Came with RS 3.0 wheels.

Reluctant to shell out another £80 for a new wheel and wondering whether I can buy a replacement and fit it myself. Apart from a like-for-like replacement, what would be a comparable wheel I should look for, how hard would it be to fit and add the cassette (I've never done it before), and will I save money??

Many thanks!

Comments

• can it not be straightened by your lbs?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • The rs wheels are shocking i had planned to keep mine for winter but they didnt even last 1 month. If your looking for cheap solid long lasting wheels i cant recommend fulcrum 7s highly enough. For £100 they are brilliant.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am still puzzled as to how a wheel just suddenly becomes bent? I have had the odd wheel go out of true (which was a 10 minute fix)...and the odd spoke break which then resulted in a proper rim deflection...but just bent so badly as to not be able to park it? Any thoughts on what happened or is this another case of leaving it somewhere for someone to kick? Why not see if the LBS can just retension? May only cost £20.

I think the RS wheels are ok. No problems with R500 or my new winter wheels, RS30 (£100 from Ribble and very durable).

If you regularly leave your bike in a public place then it would be crazy to stick decent (as in good handbuilts or RS81) wheels on it as they will suffer the same fate...or was that a one off?

If you do a lot of commuting, handbuilts would be my answer (you can get a good set for less than £300) as you can replace rims when needed. I don't like mismatching but you could think about just buying a rear wheel for now though (RS30, Fulcrum 7/5, Aksium, etc)?

All in, I think a bit more info is needed...
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think the RS wheels are ok. No problems with R500 or my new winter wheels, RS30 (£100 from Ribble and very durable)..

They are not shimano RS wheels, They are maddux RS totally different brand. ;) And they are poor.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fair enough. Wasn't sure if the . in "RS 3.0" was just there as an interloper :)
  • Don't take this the wrong way but I have to question, the wheel didn't engage with the rack as the wheel was that bent, but you didn't notice this whilst riding!!
    Could it be the rack that caused the damage??
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think we could do with some photos. What do you mean by 'bent'?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Don't take this the wrong way but I have to question, the wheel didn't engage with the rack as the wheel was that bent, but you didn't notice this whilst riding!!
    Could it be the rack that caused the damage??
    I think he means he put it in the rack, it didn't get engaged properly, it fell out and got damaged causing the bent wheel.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)