Frame size?

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited February 2014 in MTB beginners
I have an old carrera kraken frame that i started as a project a while back and thinking of starting again. It's a 16" frame I'm around 5' 7/8" will it be too small?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No way of telling unless you know what build you plan, and other measurements ie top tube length/reach.
  • I have the same frame, and I'm 5'9", I prefer a smaller frame, I like to be able to move the frame around underneath of me, and have my seat higher up for trails, but it's personal preference I think to a degree
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    KevChallis wrote:
    but it's personal preference I think to a degree

Indeed, I'm 5' 10" and my Kraken's a 20" frame. I do have a long inside leg for my height though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    5'9.5" and on a 16" carrera, but I am short in the leg and arm so need the smaller frame, to that end I run a setback, not inline, seatpost.

If you are of a regular build I would think it will be fine, you may need to toy with stem length and seatpost setback to get it spot on
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Rookie wrote:
    5'9.5" and on a 16" carrera, but I am short in the leg and arm so need the smaller frame, to that end I run a setback, not inline, seatpost.

Opposite way round for me - long legs, so I bought the 20" and I've just bought a 50mm stem to go with the new forks and an inline seatpost to replace the original laid back one.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    5'6 and a 15-17" frame generally would be my first choice for a test ride.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Im 5'6or7 and I ride a 16inch vulcan