Installing cartridge headsets

englander
englander Posts: 232
edited February 2014 in Workshop
So I'm installing this headset into my Ribble Sportive 7046 Curved and I'm wondering how much force to put the cartridge bearings in.

The bottom bearings have gone in flush with the bottom of the headtube but the top bearings have not gone flush with the top - but I can't push it in any further (I've just used hand force and some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet, but I wanted to check here before applying any further pressure lest the bearings get damaged). Need more be done?

Please see the illustrative picture:

mfObefVl.jpg
Specialized Allez 2010
Strava

Comments

• Usually an integrated headset just needs dropped into the frame. That looks like it should be okay as long as the cap that sits on top covers the bearing.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Agreed. Just changed both bearings on my integrated headset. Bottom one was flush, top one sat a little proud, but was covered by the top cap.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So how does it look when the rest of it is put together and the preload is added to the bearings?

The pics you show really show nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Thanks for the input. Here's a pic of the headset without any preload (still working on getting the star nut in once I cut the steerer). There's a small gap - one that would disappear once the preload is added?

KJEApeBl.jpg
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Yip, should be Ok once you tighten everything down.
  • Great,thanks!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • smd13
    smd13 Posts: 91
    Hi guys, sorry for hijacking the thread a little but it seems similar to what I was going to post...
    I've taken the forks off my '05 cannondale and the headset is 1 1/8", as shown in the picture. Basically, does it need to be changed (still rotate fairly smoothly just dirty!) and if so does it need to be a campag one as shown or any such as say these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-headset-bearing/

dc4u1u.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Englander wrote:
    Thanks for the input. Here's a pic of the headset without any preload (still working on getting the star nut in once I cut the steerer). There's a small gap - one that would disappear once the preload is added?

KJEApeBl.jpg

It looks tight. Did it come with some flat washers? If yes you might need to add one or two to avoid contact.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • smd13 wrote:
    Hi guys, sorry for hijacking the thread a little but it seems similar to what I was going to post...
    I've taken the forks off my '05 cannondale and the headset is 1 1/8", as shown in the picture. Basically, does it need to be changed (still rotate fairly smoothly just dirty!) and if so does it need to be a campag one as shown or any such as say these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-headset-bearing/

dc4u1u.jpg

You'll need to check for your specific bike, but certainly my old cannondale was campag headset. Think the angle was 45 degrees so as long as you get 1 1/8th bearings with the same angle you'll be Ok.
  • smd13
    smd13 Posts: 91
    thanks! Of course, now the issue is where to find the angle. Just had a look around the cannondale site but the manuals don't mention it
  • nicklouse
    Or just go onto Cane Creeks headset finder page and put in your bike and fork info.
  • It should be stamped on the old bearing somewhere if you can clean the dirt off.