Removing Cranks (amateur question!)

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I'm trying to change my dad's bike from a double to triple. I've got all the parts but have stalled getting the old cranks etc off.

It's a 2011 Claude Butler San Remo

The centre of the cranks had plastic caps and a bolt underneath. I've removed the caps and removed the bolt from each side but can't get any further. The cranks have not been released by this.

Can anyone suggest the next move???

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You need a crank-puller:
    http://www.parktool.com/product/univers ... anks-cwp-7

You'll need to fit a new bottom bracket to fit a triple chainset - the existing one almost certainly will be the wrong size.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ajkerr73
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You need a crank-puller:
    http://www.parktool.com/product/univers ... anks-cwp-7

You'll need to fit a new bottom bracket to fit a triple chainset - the existing one almost certainly will be the wrong size.

Cheers. Will I get a crank puller in the LBS?

Bb is the only part I don't have.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You'll get a crank puller from LBS / Halfords / online. (possibly in order of decreasing cost) Just make sure that when you removed the crank bolt you didn't leave a washer behind. Unscrew the central bit of the crank extractor far enough to allow you to screw the outer bit fully into the threads in the crank. Then tighten the central bit back up again and off pops the crank!

Do you have the tools to remove the old BB and fit a new one?
  • ajkerr73
    keef66 wrote:
    You'll get a crank puller from LBS / Halfords / online. (possibly in order of decreasing cost) Just make sure that when you removed the crank bolt you didn't leave a washer behind. Unscrew the central bit of the crank extractor far enough to allow you to screw the outer bit fully into the threads in the crank. Then tighten the central bit back up again and off pops the crank!

Do you have the tools to remove the old BB and fit a new one?

Picked up the crank puller and cartridge bb tool today at the lbs. |Succesfully managed to get it all removed.

Now found out the BB I have is an exterbal (?) one and I need another different tool to install it. :-(

Getting there though!!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And you need to get the BB shell faced. LBS job.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ajkerr73
    nicklouse wrote:

Sorry, can you expand on this please?
  • nicklouse
    Read the fitting instructions that came with the BB. Of download them from shimanos webby or read the info on Parktools
    Or read this viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12654663

Must sort out the missing pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    nicklouse wrote:

I can not see why he will need the BB faced. I know that it is recommended if you are going from internal to external bearings but he already has external bearings.

If there is some aspect of this that I am ignorant of I am happy to be educated.
  • nicklouse
    lesfirth wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I can not see why he will need the BB faced. I know that it is recommended if you are going from internal to external bearings but he already has external bearings.

If there is some aspect of this that I am ignorant of I am happy to be educated.
    Does not read as the OP has external, it reads as a cartridge internal BB.
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

Picked up the crank puller and cartridge bb tool today at the lbs. |Succesfully managed to get it all removed.

Now found out the BB I have is an exterbal (?) one and I need another different tool to install it. :-(

Getting there though!!!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    nicklouse wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Does not read as the OP has external, it reads as a cartridge internal BB.
    Ajkerr73 wrote:

Getting there though!!!

Sorry for not reading properly. :oops: