Ultegra 10s lever issues.

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Just posting to see if anyone has previous experience of this issue.

Today I had a weird one with my right hand 6700 shifter. When shifting down to a smaller gear I'd get to about the middle of the cassette and the lever would click but wouldn't move the derailleur. If I clicked back up and then tried again it would work Ok. It also seemed to work Ok if I shifted up 2 cogs at once. This was pretty intermittent and wouldn't happen on every shift past the mid point on the cassette.

I've got a new cable coming to see if that helps, but I have a funny feeling it might be within the guts of the lever.

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Bet it is a frayed cable.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Agreed. Almost certainly either a frayed cable or just general gunked up cable. This time of the year is hard on cables.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My money is also on a cable frayed inside the shifter. My 105 has eaten two of them so far.
  • Ok cheers guys. I'll pull the cable our and have a look.
  • clunsy
    clunsy Posts: 9
    Mitch,

Is it a 2012 model shifter by any chance? The same thing happened to me twice with the left shifter, within a few months of getting my new bike about a year ago. The first time chain reaction replaced it under warranty with another 2012 batch ultegra. Then when it happened again within about 6 weeks, they replaced it again under warranty, only this time with at Ultegra 2013 one and they admitted there'd been a lot of these intermittent problems with the 2012 batch.
  • Thanks for that info.

I'm not sure of the year to be honest as I bought it second hand. I pulled the cable out tonight and certainly isn't frayed in any way. In fact it was in really good condition.

I'll put a new cable in tomorrow and have greased the mechanism as best I can. I'll see how it goes from there. I have the tool to take the lever off if need be but hoping it won't come to that.

Thanks again.
  • I had lot of problems with the gears on my Ultegra 6700, I replaced inner cables oiled them still the same. Then I replaced the inner and outer and it has been great since.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Solely replacing inner cables rarely solves these problems unless the cable has noticeably frayed within the shifter. The bit that wears out is the nylon or PTFE liner in the cable housing.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 2012 6700 Sti's x 2 have done this to me. One bike the left hand guide behind the brake lever has snapped meaning any attempt to shift while breaking results in the inner gear arm getting caught the wrong side of the internal mechanism. This can be sorted with a little gentle wiggling until it happens again a few months later.

Just had problems with another left shifter this morning, went to change up to big ring and the mech moved initially but then jumped straight back down rather than clicking into place. Have pulled back the hoods and all the internals are juggled around plus a tiny star nut has come undone on the inside of the hood body spreading the sti laterally by 4 or 5 mm. This one looks expensive!!!

I am tough on kit but its a little disappointing, Never had anything like this on old ultegra (6500) despite years of use and several crashes. Neither of these sti's have ever had a knock but are AFU.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "My money is also on a cable frayed inside the shifter."

"I pulled the cable out tonight and certainly isn't frayed in any way. In fact it was in really good condition. "

This is why I don't gamble :oops:
  • Ha! 60 mile commute done today without a repeat of the issue. Scratching my head now, but hopeful there was something dodgy with the cable that I didn't notice.

Thanks again for the help.