Whether to weather the weather

gingaman
gingaman Posts: 576
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all, looking forward to your ride home or not? I don't have adequate waterproofs so as the current weather snapshot shows, I am going to get soaked. Warm bath when I get in I reckon

3101143pmweathersnapshot_zpsa6950d95.png

Have a good weekend :lol:

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Your skin will keep your dry Gingaman - shame the Lomo hasnt yet arrived...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Na - checked the forecast last night and they said "light rain" so thought I'd risk it ... then checked again this morning and it said "heavy rain" ... stuff that ... what with the ice this morning it wasn't worth the bother ... I'll just turbo later ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Slowbike wrote:
    Na - checked the forecast last night and they said "light rain" so thought I'd risk it ... then checked again this morning and it said "heavy rain" ... stuff that ... what with the ice this morning it wasn't worth the bother ... I'll just turbo later ;)

Did you check the wind strength as well?

You might want to.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Did you check the wind strength as well?

You might want to.

I didn't have beans last night, but the fan will be on - that'll be strong enough for the wind ... ;)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Blowing strong here and looks like a cross wind. :cry:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I saw the forecast for tonight, particualrly the strong winds and left the bike at home. Didn't fancy getting blown into the path of a car / lorry
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nothing to get blown home about up here......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Is that thunder I just heard? Uh-oh!

Edit: actually, possibly not. Sorry.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • gingaman
    It wasn't actually that bad in the end, bit windy in places and I need new shoes, current ones must think they are fish they are so wet all the time.

Oh yeah got a 'visit' too, 10 mins from home. Walked it for about 100 yards trying to decide whether to change it or push it. Changed it in the end
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Wusses!

(That said I missed my appointment at 6 so....)

I suppose living in NL for 3 years gives you a different view of wind...

I like OMG totally love my new Gore Jacket too!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Got blown sideways a couple of times and ended up definitively damp, but it felt nice and fast, I didn't get any PRs on the way home. I picked up three PRs on my lunchtime ride thanks to a strong southerly breeze.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rule #5
    Rule #9

That is all
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    PBo wrote:
    Rule #5
    Rule #9

That is all

Indeed. Shameful.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • gingaman
    MrSweary wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Rule #5
    Rule #9

That is all

Indeed. Shameful.

I did. And I am. 8)
  • Most enjoyable ride of the week, I thought.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Hot Orange wrote:
    Most enjoyable ride of the week, I thought.

Depends which direction you were riding, I guess. My ride westbound along Embankment was a fun mix of brutal headwind and the occasional crosswind gust. Then it started raining. Slowest average speed for quite a while.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Was a bit damp and windy I suppose down the Embankment, but while I was anticipating it, there was no wall of wind at Millbank around 1815. Thereby encouraged, I put in a cheeky clockwise lap of RP, solely to say I had done it/rule 9. And now I have, so I'll get my coat ...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Just watched this morning's forecast. Going to start developing gills at this rate. Hope those near the Thames are keeping their feet dry. Was on the train through Oxford this time last week and it was already surrounded by vast lagoons to the West.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Just watched this morning's forecast. Going to start developing gills at this rate. Hope those near the Thames are keeping their feet dry. Was on the train through Oxford this time last week and it was already surrounded by vast lagoons to the West.

molesey is looking very vurnable at the moment the Thames has breached its banks that side and it's all flat so there are a lot of houses potentially as the river is now at the same height but only 100 ft or so away, plenty of the houses nr Hampton Court are wet, one has a under garage with a Ferrari poking out of the folds water....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aww shame...