Porte and Wurf instagram takeover

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited January 2014 in Pro race
Richie Porte is known for his legendary 300km training rides and for tomorrow’s session he’s managed to convince Cannondale’s Cameron Wurf to come along with him. To document this ride (that is likely to circumnavigate Tasmania), I’ve given Richie and Cam the keys to our Instagram account and told them to go nuts. What could possibly go wrong?

Follow http://www.instagram.com/cyclingtips tomorrow (Thursday, January 30) to see this ride from their view and everything that might come along with it.

My predictions? Cam will attack as soon as they leave the cafe, Richie will let him hang out there at 4 minutes for 250km, Eisel, Stannard and Thomas will appear out of nowhere just in time to pull him back. Eisel is likely take a wrong turn into Launceston and Wurf will cross the line first at the Cock ‘N Bull pub. Or not.

Either way, tune in to our instagram account tomorrow to follow.

http://instagram.com/cyclingtips

First time I've heard of his 300km rides.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• *klaxon*

Porte nerd alert

RR's favourite Tassie is as long in training kms as he is short in height
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    There's a good shot of Gerrans attacking(!!!) Porte about 5 images in. Won't embed here.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    I agree its awesome...you can see similar that one and similar in higher res here:
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/01/santo ... nd-photos/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That site's a sight for sore eyes. Ravishing.
    smalltdu3stage_111.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    I can't work Instagram.

There. I said it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I can't work Instagram.

There. I said it.

Good thing!

A) it's not real photography and B) No matter how may nonsense filters and bulls1t they put on it, ever notice how every persons photo ends up looking exactly the same?

"Oooooh I made it black and white and whacked uop the vignette slider I'm so moody and deep and talented you know..."
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • *klaxon*

Porte nerd alert

RR's favourite Tassie is as long in training kms as he is short in height

*klaxon* I thought there were ECHELONS!!!!!!

:wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Porte and Wurf reached the 300km point, and decided to push on to 400.

Well, why wouldnt you? :?
  • frenchfighter
    400km is a bit insane.................
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 400km is a bit insane.................

They refuelled at the 180-odd km mark with 'cheese and vegemite scrolls'. Can only assume they contain some endurance-enhancing properties - certainly not on the WADA list :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Tasmania must be grim if they can cycle for 400k and find nothing worth photographing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Tasmania must be grim if they can cycle for 400k and find nothing worth photographing.

Ha! Yes, I'd thought that ... There's only about 8 photos ... I know they were busy but if you're gonna publicise the thing then at least make an effort ...
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551

It's a pretty stunning place in parts up there in fact. This is one spot you have to walk in to, but worth it!

aerial_walkers_1002-2.jpg

In 400 km they would hardly have seen a flat or straight bit of road, damned hilly round that corner of Tassie. Plus there are a few towns long rumoured to be a bit hillbilly in a Deliverance kind of way.. :shock:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ^looks amazing

Right, the rest of you miserable lot, Cam Wurf's blog post re the day itself

http://www.cameronwurf.blogspot.dk/2014 ... y.html?m=1
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

It's a pretty stunning place in parts up there in fact. This is one spot you have to walk in to, but worth it!

aerial_walkers_1002-2.jpg

In 400 km they would hardly have seen a flat or straight bit of road, damned hilly round that corner of Tassie. Plus there are a few towns long rumoured to be a bit hillbilly in a Deliverance kind of way.. :shock:

All the white that look like waves are sharks, right?

Bloody Australia (Tasmania) and their wildlife.
  • frenchfighter
    ^looks amazing

Right, the rest of you miserable lot, Cam Wurf's blog post re the day itself

http://www.cameronwurf.blogspot.dk/2014 ... y.html?m=1

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

I agree with this:
    when riding under such torturous conditions the little issues you don't feel comfortable discussing normally all off a sudden seem not so bad to share with you mates

14hrs really is pretty crazy though. Not sure what benefits that gives, like an audax, but then if they enjoy it good luck to them!

Plus Wurf rode 200 odd km on a repaired tyre - must not have been fun or efficient being on a low psi wheel unless he was able to get it high...which I never can.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Cracking.
    Like Huckleberry Finn/Tom Sawyer (or maybe Rupert The Bear and Gregory, his little Guinea Pig chum?) boy's adventure stuff, without quite the same narrative arc... Talking of which, if they're anything like their English namesakes, there's definitely some Deliverance type scenarios to be had in either Epping Forest or Launceston...

I suspect Cameron Wurf shares the same Spellchecker as rayjay.

I'd like to hear Porte's version with regard to CW's admission that they barely stopped chatting all day - Porte: "Cam didn't shut the f*ck up all day!". Also, I enjoyed the account of all the crap they consumed (and that there's a 80k a year Sky nutritionist with their head in their hands).

Don't know much about Cameron Wurf, but Porte's a funny one for me: when I first heard him in interview (3 years ago?) I thought "what a plank/duffer". Now, it's increasingly "what a top bloke" with each new event/story...
  • ThomThom wrote:

This is where New Zealand wins, no stinging nettles, residents that can fix their own shark bites, birds that don't fly and best of all no snakes! :D

Edit - and people that can actually spell Richie. What is with the putting the T in the middle to make it RiTchie? It's wrong.

*slinks off home before anyone mentions Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii or the Benson and Hedges twins or the poor kid named Number 5 Bus Stop*
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ThomThom wrote:

This is where New Zealand wins, no stinging nettles, residents that can fix their own shark bites, birds that don't fly and best of all no snakes! :D

Edit - and people that can actually spell Richie. What is with the putting the T in the middle to make it RiTchie? It's wrong.

*slinks off home before anyone mentions Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii or the Benson and Hedges twins or the poor kid named Number 5 Bus Stop*

T for Toblerone :wink:

Yeah, Thom Thom would love NZ. No wildlife that can actually kill you (or even do you much damage at all), unlike Oz with its top 10 deadliest snakes/bitey things.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    He rang his mum and informed her he would not be home for birthday dinner

Aww bless him.

Fabulous stuff - sounds like a blast. Great to read about pros riding the bike in the way they want to and enjoying just riding.

400km in 13.5 hours is good going for what looks like quite a relaxed day for them!