Quick question...

richywales97
richywales97 Posts: 38
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Just a quick question for my college frame bag project, but little research like this gets me marks for a better grade.

What side do you all get off your bike? (What side would you like the opening for the frame bag to be on, left or right?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Which ever side I fall.

If I don't the left.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    This is a bag that fits on the frame is it, if so what relevance does the side someone gets off have?

Anyway, for what it's worth I get off on the left but I suspect you will get as many people saying the right!!!

I have no preference for a left or right hand zip!!

Surely any such product would be made with a left zip and a right zip version :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Yeah I'm making a bag to fit inside the main frame triangle for my college design project, and all little points about my design have to be explained, so I need to know which side I should put the zip on to make it more convenient, so that most people don't have to walk all the way around the bike to get inside the bag.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't think it matters. You can lean over and look down.

These were done years ago and failed, as I can't remember the last time I saw one, people like to keep bikes a light as possible could be one reason also that they don't work with most FS designs
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put a zip on both sides.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Left
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just checked, it's definitely hanging left.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    most people are right handed so a zip on the right = being able to reach in while on the bike.
  • nicklouse
    Just a quick question for my college frame bag project, but little research like this gets me marks for a better grade.

What side do you all get off your bike? (What side would you like the opening for the frame bag to be on, left or right?

Thanks
    what has which side you get off the bike got to do with it?

what will you keep in the bag?

why would you want to access the bag?

things like that are much more relavant to the design.

got tools in it? need to adjust the gears? then you need to access one side (and maybe with the bike upside down).

need to adjust the brakes then you need the other side .........

getting of the bike! who cares.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    nicklouse wrote:

Thanks
    what has which side you get off the bike got to do with it?

he said so you don't have to walk all the way round :wink:

what will you keep in the bag?

it's your bike, you decide

why would you want to access the bag?

to get whatever you put in it out
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    As said above, most people are right handed so, if you want to access the bag while on the bike, then zip to the right makes more sense.

However, most are also right footed (or legged) so I suspect most will get off their bike to the left. I do and (I think) all the replies up there ^^^^ say the same. So you’ll want the zip on the left side. Mmmm

Zip on each side probably the answer. Ultimately it’s a relatively insignificant element of the design
  • I swing both ways . How about velcro?
  • Answers are a bit mixed so i think I'll just put it on the right as its easier for me and I'll be the one using it.

Thanks for the help though guys
  • nicklouse
    Answers are a bit mixed so i think I'll just put it on the right as its easier for me and I'll be the one using it.

Thanks for the help though guys
    So what do you do if you want to lie the bike down on the right side?

What do you do if you have to stop but if you get off on the right and there is a big slope on that side so you can't?

Personally I use a camel back. So it does not matter.