Rockrider 6.3

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited September 2015 in Your mountain bikes
As my Saracen Mantra frame was way too small for me (17"), I decided to get a new frame, and fancied trying a full-suss. This popped up on eBay for a good price and I've now upgraded basically everything on it! I don't like the pedal bob from the rear shock but I'm grateful of it on the descents! Trying to keep it XC-orientated but the weight is hard to keep down with this frame and my budget! Hope you like it :)

DSC00368_zps6cf22ed0.jpg

DSC00374_zps0a24f44e.jpg

DSC00375_zps10854119.jpg

DSC00376_zpsefe3723c.jpg

DSC00377_zps5431797b.jpg

Frame: Decathlon Rockrider 6.3 (20")
Forks: Rockshox XC32 TK Solo Air (100mm)
Bars: Crank Bros Iodine 1 (700mm)
Stem: Crank Bros Iodine 1 (100mm)
Headset: A Ritchey something or other
Grips: Lizard Skins Northshore
Bar Ends: No. Just no.

Front Brake Lever assy: Deore 615
Front Caliper: Deore 615
Front disc: RT66
Rear Brake Lever assy: Deore 615
Rear Caliper: Deore 615
Rear Disc: Tektro
Hoses: Deore 615

Shifters: Deore 615 i-Spec
Cables: Deore 615
Front Mech: Deore 615
Rear Mech: XT M786 Shadow+
Chain Device: None.

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: On-One Twelfty Sport
Seat Post Clamp: Standard QR

Cranks: Deore 615
Chainring(s): Deore 615
Chain: Deore 615
Cassette: Deore 615
Pedals: M520
Bottom Bracket: Deore 615

Front Wheel: Mavic Crossride
Tire: Continental Mountain King II 2.2"

Back Wheel: Mavic Crossride
Tire: Continental Mountain King II 2.2"

Weight: Around 14KG but probably just under that now - I need to weigh it again...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Nice! I know your lbs...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Nice! I know your lbs...

Thanks! Great shop but not really local (they're about 20 miles away) :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Nice! Lose the rear reflector, tidy up the cable routing along the frame as its a mess, and buy a shock with lockout (shocks don't cost too much) and it's perfect :)
  • declan1
    Cqc wrote:
    Nice! Lose the rear reflector, tidy up the cable routing along the frame as its a mess, and buy a shock with lockout (shocks don't cost too much) and it's perfect :)

Cheers :)

It's a rear light, not a reflector ;)

I agree that I made a right mess of the cable routing so I'll try better when I get some more cables. I'm looking at a new shock but they're still a bit expensive at the moment so that'll have to wait :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Cqc
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DNM-Mountain- ... 381wt_1190
    not sure if length or stroke matches, but cheap
  • declan1
    Cqc wrote:

That looks really good for the money! £13 delivery and probably a load of customs charges too though (not to mention the fact that it will probably be destroyed because it's 'dangerous'). Thanks for the link though - I'll try to hunt one of these down in the UK :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Cqc
    Make sure the stroke length and the eye to eye lengths are the same though
  • declan1
    Cqc wrote:
    Make sure the stroke length and the eye to eye lengths are the same though

Will do. It'll be a while before I get one though :wink:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    I bought my bike from them, Steve's a nice guy. They're my lbs and they're around 100 miles away ;). Whereabouts are you?
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    I bought my bike from them, Steve's a nice guy. They're my lbs and they're around 100 miles away ;). Whereabouts are you?

Yeah, I go riding with his son quite a bit but Steve's always busy with the shop so don't really get to see him much. I'm near Invergordon so not very close either :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    Where abouts do you ride? If you haven't been to Golspie then you should...
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Where abouts do you ride? If you haven't been to Golspie then you should...

I've been to Golspie many times - I normally get the train up and just go up and down all day :D

Currently my favorite place to ride is Strathpeffer - there are so many great trails around there, like the Puffer, the Contin XC course and the trails in Blackmuir forest :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    I've never been riding in Strathpeffer, but would be interested. Am I right in thinking there's no marked routes? It wouldn't normally put me off, but if I'm travelling that far it puts me off.
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    I've never been riding in Strathpeffer, but would be interested. Am I right in thinking there's no marked routes? It wouldn't normally put me off, but if I'm travelling that far it puts me off.

They're not marked but the shop normally have a few trail maps you can buy (they're £3 I think) :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    Might have a look next time I'm down. (Not very often)
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Might have a look next time I'm down. (Not very often)

It's worth it - lots of great trails all around there!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    Have you used Velocity in Inverness? They do maintenance courses, have a full workshop to rent, and do food. I went there to learn headsets, and it was really good.
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Have you used Velocity in Inverness? They do maintenance courses, have a full workshop to rent, and do food. I went there to learn headsets, and it was really good.

Never been there but I've heard they're good! We've got a pretty decent workshop so don't really need to rent anything. Went for a great ride around Strathpeffer today :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    Next on the list. What about Kyle of Sutherland? It's a bit far from you, but I love the Carbisdale red.
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Next on the list. What about Kyle of Sutherland? It's a bit far from you, but I love the Carbisdale red.

I've never actually been to Carbisdale - I keep meaning to but never got round to it! Balblair is amazing - better than Golspie IMO.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    I wasn't too keen on Balblair, I find the rock faces get a bit tiresome, but the stretch after the split between the long and black runs (on the short one) is great though. It's more than worth a visit for the red.
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    I wasn't too keen on Balblair, I find the rock faces get a bit tiresome, but the stretch after the split between the long and black runs (on the short one) is great though. It's more than worth a visit for the red.

Do you mean the bit where you can go left to skip the black or right to do it? I haven't done that bit - I just do the black. I must go up to Carbisdale; maybe next week!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    There's a point on the black where you can take 2 routes, onesabout 7 miles (?) and the other 10 maybe. I haven't been there since October, it's quite sad to see them become really overgrown in summer. Last time I was there some idiot dog walkers went out along the end of the red, I nearly killed their dog. They must have known, they were walking between some berms (and there's signs everywhere).
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    There's a point on the black where you can take 2 routes, onesabout 7 miles (?) and the other 10 maybe. I haven't been there since October, it's quite sad to see them become really overgrown in summer. Last time I was there some idiot dog walkers went out along the end of the red, I nearly killed their dog. They must have known, they were walking between some berms (and there's signs everywhere).

Oh yeah, I think I took the shorter route (it takes you down a grass trail doesn't it?).

Yup, walkers can be idiots at times. You can walk anywhere so why walk on a mtb trail?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    There's some really nice singletrack on the shorter route, I don't know about the long one though, I've never done it.
  • declan1
    Lewis A wrote:
    There's some really nice singletrack on the shorter route, I don't know about the long one though, I've never done it.

Yeah, I remember there are some really nice switchbacks on the other side of the hill that were really fun.

I'll probably go up to Carbisdale sometime this week to try it out - thanks for reminding me it's there! :mrgreen:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Lewis A
    Enjoy it!
  • love what youve done to this bike, what shock have you used? as ive ordered this frame without a shock and dont know much about them. i also dont know the eye to eye measurement so i dont know what would work :cry::cry::cry:
  • declan1
    love what youve done to this bike, what shock have you used? as ive ordered this frame without a shock and dont know much about them. i also dont know the eye to eye measurement so i dont know what would work :cry::cry::cry:

Hi there,

This bike is still going but in a different config for my dad now! The shock shown is the original but I upgraded it to a Rockshox Monarch R which improved it quite a bit. I'm sure the shock was 165x38mm. Have fun with it :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred