The Armstrong Lie; A Review

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited February 2014 in Road general
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• In years to come he'll be remembered for winning 7 tours.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    In years to come he'll be remembered for not winning 7 tours.

Fixed that for you :wink:
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Apparently this is being reviewed on the film thing on Radio 5Live with Kermode and Mayo.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Going to see this next Sunday, please dont reveal the ending.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Going to see this next Sunday, please dont reveal the ending.

Its all marginal gains and spinning at a high cadance

Oooops sorry :oops:
  • dancing
    dancing Posts: 16
    Its difficult to give the wins to other cyclists because they may be going down to 20th in the GC standings
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    rayjay wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?

The first guy to finish that didn't cheat.

Just because the media or the organisers cannot identify that individual at this time doesn't matter. There can be a white space next to the winners name indefinitely.

If they all cheated (unlikely), then the race is null and void and there is no winner.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Going to see this next Sunday, please dont reveal the ending.

The twist is: Tyler Hamilton was actually just imagining Lance all the time, and they were in fact the same person.

Sorry to break it to you.
  • Lance is actually dead and only Bruyneel can see him.

or

Tyler comes close to beating Lance, Lance then fights back and reveals he is in fact Tyler's father.

or

Lance think's he's in France but he is in fact in America the whole time.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    He took the blue pill but he should have taken the red one.
  • In years to come he'll be remembered for winning 7 tours.

Unlikely older folks may remember his wins, but from now on he is the dopper, if you google him the first suggestion is "Lance Armstrong doping"

His image is forever tied to doping, it wasn't a small mistake he made. What ever else he does with his life he will be the guy who doped to win the TDF.
  • IC. wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?

Just because the media or the organisers cannot identify that individual at this time doesn't matter. There can be a white space next to the winners name indefinitely.

If they all cheated (unlikely), then the race is null and void and there is no winner.

Just playing devil's avocado but what about all the other Tour winners who tested positive at some stage in their career? Pantani, Fignon, Merckx, Anquetil (admitted it) to name a few... should their wins be blanked too? LA is a bullying lying cheat but are his "wins" really more tainted than others?
  • quote]

Just playing devil's avocado but what about all the other Tour winners who tested positive at some stage in their career? Pantani, Fignon, Merckx, Anquetil (admitted it) to name a few... should their wins be blanked too? LA is a bullying lying cheat but are his "wins" really more tainted than others?[/quote]

This. I would like this question answered................
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rayjay
    IC. wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?

But for quite a few years after he retired he was the winner.

Then he admits doping and he his not the winner.

If he had taken the deal Tygart offered him he would still be the winner of quite a few tours.

So Tygart would have let him keep some of his doped tour wins but not others.

Seriously , does it matter. I mean I saw him win the tours , all his rivals get busted for doping.

Riis has kept his tour win even though he admitted doping.

All this Armstrong stuff has been a waste of money and time .

Riders are still doping and getting busted.

It's done no good for the image of our sport.

And we still have a peloton with loads of ex dopers still riding and still running teams.

Cycling is now questioned more than ever.

In the review show, one of the guests said it would be far better if cyclists admit that they are doping and introduce their Dr ,,,Not many people believe it's a clean sport and not many even care.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    wouldn't waste money seeing this rubbish ...
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    rayjay wrote:
    IC. wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?

But for quite a few years after he retired he was the winner.

Then he admits doping and he his not the winner.

If he had taken the deal Tygart offered him he would still be the winner of quite a few tours.

So Tygart would have let him keep some of his doped tour wins but not others.

Seriously , does it matter. I mean I saw him win the tours , all his rivals get busted for doping.

Riis has kept his tour win even though he admitted doping.

All this Armstrong stuff has been a waste of money and time .

Riders are still doping and getting busted.

It's done no good for the image of our sport.

And we still have a peloton with loads of ex dopers still riding and still running teams.

Cycling is now questioned more than ever.

In the review show, one of the guests said it would be far better if cyclists admit that they are doping and introduce their Dr ,,,Not many people believe it's a clean sport and not many even care.

I agree with this ^, it all seems a bit hypocritical to me :(
    Lance' OCC chopper should be punishment enough, it was 'kin awful! :shock:
  • hibster
    hibster Posts: 58
    edited February 2014
    Raymondo60 wrote:

Just playing devil's avocado but what about all the other Tour winners who tested positive at some stage in their career? Pantani, Fignon, Merckx, Anquetil (admitted it) to name a few... should their wins be blanked too? LA is a bullying lying cheat but are his "wins" really more tainted than others?

they are to me due to his career ending bullying antics
  • rayjay
    hibster wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    quote]

they are to me due to his career ending bullying antics[/quote]

Tell me exactly the bullying you are talking about ?

Do you think that Armstrong was any worse than Cipo , Vino. Pantani. Merckx. Do reckon it was a picnic riding/working for these guys.

I am not defending Armstrong's behaviour but It's such a media fuelled over the top witch-hunt.

Take Betsy for instance, Did she shout from the roof when her hubby was doping?

She shouted when he got kicked off the team.

Armstrong never stuck a needle in anyone's arm.

DZ would have had the same issue whatever team he had gone to.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Lots of people think he's been very unsavoury, manipulative and aggressive Rayjay, and all this is on top of him being a cheating tit. There's stacks and stacks and stacks on this on the various Lance threads for you to read if any of it comes as a surprise to you (which it doesn't).
  • Back to the film ....

Watched it last week (preview night) and thoroughly enjoyed it ... Don't want to spoil owt for anyone on here. I'd just say go and watch it ....
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • rayjay
    Spoiler alert,,,,,,, He admits he doped :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The best anecdote was that apparently at the height of his pomp, only 50% of the people of Austin, TX didn't dislike him - when questioning why, the answer was that they hadn't met him yet. :-D
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    rayjay wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?

A pathological liar with Sociopathic tendencies.
  • rayjay
    adamfo wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Who won the tours then?

A pathological liar with Sociopathic tendencies.

You believed him when he said he did not dope? What else was he going to say.

There are quite a lot of Athletes who fit that description and worse still quite a lot of politician's, who do have some actual power to effect our lives.

I know what causes me more concern.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Amazed that the discussion over LA is still going. Would like to see the film though - if it gets shown around these parts...
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    Amazed that the discussion over LA is still going. Would like to see the film though - if it gets shown around these parts...

Do you have electricity yet?
  • Just watched the filum, probably needs more about his battle with cancer and his raising money for sick kids.
  • Watched it yesterday and thought it interesting as a documentary but today nothing exceptional remains in my mind so it's not a keeper.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Deleted