Merckx EMX-1 English or Italian Power Torque Cups

aquickone
aquickone Posts: 148
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
I have a 2011 Merkcx EMX-1 and want to know whether it has the English or Italian Power Torque Cups so I can order the correct ones without having to pull the chain set off, before I replace it. Does anyone know which they are? Many thanks in advance.
Giant Anthem X1
Eddy Merckx EMX-1
Eddy Merckx AMX-1

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Look at the cups. If it says 1.37x24TPI on it, it's English. If it says 36x24TPI it's Italian.

Are you looking to replace the bearings? If so, you need the appropriate puller to remove the RH bearing from the chainset.
  • aquickone
    Where does it say on it without pulling the crank arms off? I may well replace the bearings while I have got it apart yes, I didn't realise they were separate until today! Campag don't make it very easy do they!
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • majormantra
    It should be printed somewhere on at least one of the cups.

Read Park Tool for instructions on the bearings. The left one is in the cup, the right one is on the crank.
  • aquickone
    I have had a look at the Park Website so will buy new cups and get the left hand bearing in that and will have to get some bearings as well for the one on the crank plus the Park Tools. what a pain in the backside just to replace a chain set! Thanks for getting back to me
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • aquickone
    If there is a bearing in the left hand side cup can I buy just a single bearing for the chain set side?
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • majormantra
    I think the bearing comes out of the left cup, so you should just be able to buy new bearings, not cups:

http://www.i-ride.co.uk/Campagnolo-FC-A ... ksets.aspx
  • majormantra
    (not sure about this actually, as I don't know how straightforward removing the left bearing is.)
  • aquickone
    Hmm on the Park Wesbite it says at the bottom "The left side bearing is pressed into the cup. It is Campagnolo's intention that this entire cup with bearing should be replaced when bearing is worn out." Taken from here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... wer-torque

I had noticed that they are sold in pairs, but cant find any good instructions on how to get the left hand bearing out from the cup?
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • aquickone
    I think what I will do is buy bearings and cups (about £30 for both so a "cheap bottom bracket") as such and then put the new bearings on my new chainset with new cups to replace the whole lot in one go and then do the same with the other "spare bearing" (i.e. get new cups) when I come to fitting that. For the sake of £15 odd for the cups I can't be doing with pressing in new bearings just for that!
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • aquickone
    Just found the markings on the cups they are 36x24TPI so Italian thanks for that.
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • majormantra
    No worries. :)