Ribble Bike Builder, looks great, is it?

Andycar82
Andycar82 Posts: 129
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Went to Ribble at Bamber Bridge today was very impressed with the bike builder value? Has anyone got one, been in 2 minds about getting a Wilier GTR or a Dolan ,but will be using the bike for triathlons and the bike builder from Ribble seemed the best value, anyone any thoughts or experience with it?
Wilier GTR and Italian Tifosi Stalion

Comments

• Good bikes but if you're looking at value for money want to build one on-line, I would look at Rose and Canyon too. Spec and equipment for your £ is out of this world on those German factory bikes.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I think discounted bikes in other store can beat ribble for value if you upgrade any components in the rible bike builder, but ribble is good value if you just stick with the basic options & don't upgrade.

Have you seen this Willier seems good value to me....

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAodATgAMA
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    And check the geometry - Ribbles run around 2cm long on the top tube - so a 56 will have a 58 top tube.

As to value - well Ribble are very good, and they are in the UK if you have problems. Rose/Canyon are not, and as they sell direct you have no retailer to go to for warranty issues. Sometimes that can make a big difference. However the exchange rate is in their favour at the moment, so realatively cheaper that Ribble.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    And check the geometry - Ribbles run around 2cm long on the top tube - so a 56 will have a 58 top tube.

As to value - well Ribble are very good, and they are in the UK if you have problems. Rose/Canyon are not, and as they sell direct you have no retailer to go to for warranty issues. Sometimes that can make a big difference. However the exchange rate is in their favour at the moment, so realatively cheaper that Ribble.

They usually always have been better VFM. Ribble is mainly off the shelf and by the time you have built a bike up on the Bike Builder they become very expensive. They only have a small port of call in a industrial estate so for many your dealing over the web just the same.

Also the likes of Rose have excellent support services (they have to being on-line) free swaps in case your sizes were off and the warranties are just like they are here. The only difference is distance, but in today's world you can get things in and out of Germany in a day or so, I don't see the problem.
  • I guess you cant use the cycle schemes for German bikes!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Isn't canyon in Kingston now too?
  • Can you send a link to the bike builder for Canyon! Shame that Rose dont do it! Great bikes
  • It's not strictly a bike builder the same as Ribble, but it does give you several configuration options on chainset/cassette etc.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/

Just select the bike you are interested in from the shop menu, then under the equipment tab there will be several options on the right hand side of the selected bike.
  • Bike builder is good but it is usually cheaper to buy a special edition bike then upgrade it. That's how I got my 872 with full 105 for £1200.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bike builder is good but it is usually cheaper to buy a special edition bike then upgrade it. That's how I got my 872 with full 105 for £1200.

This! But it's worth double checking against the Bike Builder as sometimes the differences can be less than you think. I like it that you can fully spec exactly what you want. Canyon seems a rather less involving purchase experience. And they can be funny over warranty issues. At the higher end I'd probably favour Canyon but at the C2W area I'd go Ribble every time.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I didn't save a fortune but it was definitely cheaper than using bike builder from scratch. Great bike, looks like ribble are bringing in some new models soon. Being launched at the London show.