105 - ultegras advice

willtri
willtri Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
hi there, ive just purchased a new bike with shimano 105 group on it. I have some spare cash and would like to slowly start to upgrade some components. Does anyone know which ultegra shifters I will need to get to be compatable with the 105 (5700) I have already so I can easily straight swap them.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Just curious - why are you looking to upgrade?
  • to be totally honest im not sure !! I just have some decent wheels etc and have a bit of cash left to put towards something for the bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    In terms of performance the difference between 105 and ultegra is pretty minimal.

Mainly weight in my experience. Not sure it'd be value for money at all.

Appreciate snot what you're asking and feel free to ignore - it's your money after all.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Heres a document with some info for you...
    http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... le.html/01)%20Drivetrain%20Compatability%20Chart.pdf
    And another forum discussing the same topic..
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 3&t=117152

Would it be worth saving up and buying the entire groupset, then going full Ultegra 6800? A very quick scan showed that full 6800 would cost slightly less than 6700 (based on two well known stores)

If your after weight gains, very little between 5700 and 6700. If your after performance gains, again 6700 not significantly better imo.
    If your looking at improving your bike, generally wheels are the first place to look, but depends on what wheels you've already got. I think most would agree, if your new bike has the factory wheelset, upgrading this would be more beneficial than slowly upgrading from 5700 to 6700.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Keep the 105 (it is the best VFM groupset in the Shimano range) and spend the money on a holiday or you significant other, or some other more worthy cause.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You should have just bought an Ultegra bike if you wanted it.
    Don't say you could not afford it because upgrading group sets on a new bike is financial suicide :shock:

Luckily (as has been said) you do not really need to upgrade from 105 to Ultegra anyway.

Ride the bike for a bit then get some new brake pads, wheels and tyres for the summer :wink:

I would upgrade things like chain and cassette when they wear out (or if you need a different ratio cassette).
    Depending on what brand of bike you have the chain and cassette are probably cheaper ones that were put on to keep the cost down.
  • willtri wrote:
    hi there, ive just purchased a new bike with shimano 105 group on it. I have some spare cash and would like to slowly start to upgrade some components. Does anyone know which ultegra shifters I will need to get to be compatable with the 105 (5700) I have already so I can easily straight swap them.

All Ultegra 6700 stuff - i.e. 10 speed is compatible with your 105 setup. However 6700 is now old, and has been superceded by 6800 - i.e. 11 speed Ultegra.

As it is the difference between 5700 and 6700 is very small, and I've ridden bikes with both. Since your 105 is brand new it would be the biggest waste of money ever to start throwing those components away. If you really want to upgrade I'd say wait a year (or two) and then go a full upgrade to Ultegra 11 speed.

However in the meantime if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, when wheels are the best bang for your buck upgrade for new bikes. Plus you can keep your stock wheels for winter use.

What bike do you have, exactly? Preferably with a link.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The 6700 STIs are direct replacement for the 5700 you currently have - there is practically no difference. I have just done the replacement (I wanted the 5700 for another bike so the 6700 went on the best bike) - I can honestly say that I haven't noticed any difference in operation at all.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    to be totally honest im not sure !! I just have some decent wheels etc and have a bit of cash left to put towards something for the bike.
    Resist the urge to "buy something for the bike" ride it for 6 months, then you will have a better perspective on what if anything you want / need. :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • To notice differences you need to jump 2 in shimano group sets. I wouldn't go for ultegra just for the sake of it. You will have a fractional performance gain and a tad less weight.

Most noticeable difference if you want to splash out on upgrades is a new wheel set and tyres. A lighter wheel set and nice rolling tyres almost always makes a noticeable difference. Not only that but you can loose hundreds of grams off a bike straight away if your bothered about that.

But yeah with shimano you will have much more noticable difernces every 2. ... Sora - 105, Tiagra - Ultegra, 105 - DuraAce.

It really isn't worth it IMO.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Spend it on a bike fit.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Spend it on petrol.
  • Spend the cash on decent clothing. You want to be comfortable on your new bike and decent shorts, gloves, shoes etc. cost money but will make your riding a lot more enjoyable.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Spend it on a trip to the Alps !
  • +1 on the Alps trip!
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Give it me
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • IC. wrote:
    Spend it on a bike fit.

+1
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Good quality clothes for all types of weather - or - better wheels - upgrading shifters is not worth it (unless you are super rich in which case do it and give the old ones to me)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    cougie wrote:
    Spend it on a trip to the Alps !

Fine advice (pyrenees also an option). Spend a week out in the mountains, enjoy the cycling, the views etc.

The memories that will give you will be with you for the rest of your life. Changing shifters will give you a novelty that will wear off in days.

Bikes are just tools to take us to interesting places - doesn't matter whether that is an old knackered beater or the latest 11-speed, electronic geared carbon wonder bike.

Sure, I like nice bits on the bike, but I don't have fond memories of the day I bought XYZ - however, standing at the top of a mountain that you have just ridden up, admiring the view - that is the stuff I will remember when I am old.