- Internal cable routing

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Brian B.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think you could really limit your choices at that price level if you strictly enforce those criteria. I think a lot of the best bikes at that price will miss out on at least one. Is internal cable routing worth that important?
    I'd be looking at something like a Canyon Roadlite AL at £899. It's light, got great reviews, full 105, reasonable wheels but it's an alloy frame and carbon fork and doesn't have internal routing. A good alloy frame may well outperform and be just as light as a budget carbon frame.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Keith1983 wrote:
    So I have a budget oif £1000 below is what I would like to get with that:

- Full Carbon Frame
    - Allround Geometry
    - Shimano 105 or better
    - Internal cable routing

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Try Ribble, but for 1k, you wont get internal cable routing and the 105 will probably push it over.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    This http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-saetta-105-2013/

Ticks all but the internal routing box. Great bike and not too many about either. I have one in blue and love it :lol:
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I have looked at the Planet-x Pro carbons - cracking spec I must concede, I obviously couldn't add internal cable routing.

I've had a look at the Ribble website and their bikes do look cracking value. I am considering saving up for a bit longer and getting the Ares I think it's called.

I like the MEKK Poggio which can be had for under £700 at the moment, ticks all the boxes except the groupset.

I don't know why I have a think for internal routing and going on spec the Planet X wins hands down in my eyes. Is it the general consencus that my prefernece for internal cable riuting is because I'm a tart and I should drop it from my list of preferences?

I live not far from Planet x so I may go and swing a leg over one and find a MEKK somewhere and see if I have a preference.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Internal routing has a few pros and cons (cleaner appearance, less access for water and grit, possibly harder to replace or maintain, potential for rattles, minimal aero advantage) but I think internal cable routing is more about appearances than anything else and it's not a good enough reason to compromise on frame quality or groupset.

If I was you I would be looking at your budget, deciding what you want the bike for and decide what really counts. If you have your heart set on the criteria in your original post I'd suggest waiting a while and saving some more to open up your choices. At <£1000 for a bike with full 105 I'm not sure carbon frames are worthwhile. I'd probably drop to Tiagra groupset to give you more frame options or get a good alloy frame. I'm not confident that budget carbon frames have any real advantages at this price level. If you want to buy now and prioritise the frame you can always replace the groupset, wheels and the rest later (although it will cost you more in the long run).
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Dolan L'Etape is an excellent carbon frame with internal routing. I think you may have to get very cheap wheels on it if you wanted 105 for under 1k though.
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    I have looked at the Planet-x Pro carbons - cracking spec I must concede, I obviously couldn't add internal cable routing.

I've had a look at the Ribble website and their bikes do look cracking value. I am considering saving up for a bit longer and getting the Ares I think it's called.

I like the MEKK Poggio which can be had for under £700 at the moment, ticks all the boxes except the groupset.

I don't know why I have a think for internal routing and going on spec the Planet X wins hands down in my eyes. Is it the general consencus that my prefernece for internal cable riuting is because I'm a tart and I should drop it from my list of preferences?

I live not far from Planet x so I may go and swing a leg over one and find a MEKK somewhere and see if I have a preference.

Big fan of Mekk. Bikes are well received. New UK brand with lots of thought gone into the frame design.

But the 105 poggio can now be found for under £1000. The new 2014 mekks are coming soon with full group sets therefore the 2013 bikes are a steal at the mo. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mekk-2g- ... tAodlnQAXQ
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Brian B wrote:

This, although no internal cable routing I don't think but that wouldn't put me off :!:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn