Multiple bottom bracket replacements since November?

ntc05
ntc05 Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Could I please have some advice on bottom brackets?

In May last year I purchased a new Specialized Secteur Sport Tripple which was written off in August after an accident.

I had this covered by insurance so had a new bike by September but after multiple failures of my LBS I didn't receive it until the end of November. On the first morning of use, the second that I started riding, a clicking noise started coming from the pedal area. After taking this back to the shop, I was informed that the BB had rusted and would need to be replaced. As this was the only part of my old bike to be salvaged and put in my new frame, I accepted this and forked out for a new one.

By the end of November, the clicking noise was back accompanied by a grating noise. This again turned out to be a rusty BB that needed replacing. Instead of going for an identical SRAM BB30 I upgraded to a shimano alternative.

Due to the weather and holidays I ended up keeping my bike in the house until January when I rode with the bottom bracket for the first time. It started off ok, but now I am having to take it back to the store as it sounds as though this unit has failed too.

I have now lost all faith in the store. I only ride three days a week on a bus road and rinse my bike of every weekend so I shouldn't have got through three bottom brackets in the space of three months. I only stick with the store as I purchased a bike off of their competitor and ended up breaking my arm when the wheel came off on my initial ride.

Considering it is only January I have managed to get through 2 new bottom brackets in this time and am already needing at a third. Can anyone recommend a decent 68mm BB?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    BB30 and wet weather riding do not mix well.

Numerous posts about the virtues or othewise of BB30.

Many opt for a converter in an attempt to remedy the issues.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    this doesn't make sense, you cant change from bb30 BB to a shimano one unless you fitted an FSA pressfit adaptor and a new crankset.
    Also, who is going to take the bb30 bearings out of a scrap frame and put them into a new one? though anything is possible.
    R u sure of what you ve actually got on your bike?

a std shimano outboard BB such as a 105 or Ultegra will last 1000s of miles, unless you ride in the sea.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    According to Evans website the 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport triple came with full Sora groupset and standard 68mm BS Shimano outboard bearings. Where has the BB30 come from??
  • ntc05
    To be honest, I'm not sure what I have on the bike. I am only quoting the items that the store told me they installed. All I know is I started off with the basic ones that come with the bike and these were replaced with a Shimano alternative.

The original bearings were removed from my first bike and installed in the new frame or so they told me.

As for cycling through the sea, I have yet to find a puddle deep enough to get my legs wet. Though the roads are gritted frequently.

I posted on here as I personally think that I am now being taken for a ride. This is my first road bike and considering I have had it for 9 months, I have probably only been able to ride it for 2. It's seen more of the bike stores workshop than of my house.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Put a photo up of the BB/chainset
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ntc05 wrote:
    I posted on here as I personally think that I am now being taken for a ride.

It sounds like it !

My Tiagra BB on a Specialized Tricross would be similar to what comes standard on a Secteur - it's lasted a year so far with all sorts of abuse and ~2700 miles.

Why don't you take a photo of your bottom bracket and post it here - it'll be more helpful if we can see the component ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That must have been some accident if the only serviceable component was the BB :shock:
  • ntc05
    keef66 wrote:
    That must have been some accident if the only serviceable component was the BB :shock:

It wasn't too bad, I was hit side on by another cyclist when he cut a red light. No damage to his bike but he snapped my front forks and the rear of the bike wrapped around a cars bumper. I was lucky and escaped with just two broken fingers and a couple of bruises.

I used the specialized accident repair scheme to get my new bike after the store wrote off everything but the pedals and BB.

Thanks for the help guys, I will upload photos when I get home.