Dodsun Firepower

sweetwheels
sweetwheels Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in Your mountain bikes
I already have an MTB, Single Speed, Pub Bike, and Road Bike...but following the N+1 rule I decided I needed a 26" tourer.

In exchange for a case of beer a friend of mine gave me a 90's ChroMo Dodsun Firepower in rather shitty condition...

YXh2VWp.jpg

Completely dismantled, stripped, cleaned and resprayed the frame with RustGuard (That stuff is amazing btw, super adhesive). Bought some 22.2mm diameter bullhorns and some charge faux leather bar tape. Threw on some SPD's a cheapy rigid fork and a BB7 up front. Just need a new saddle, panniers and a much shorter stem and I reckon I'm just about ready to ride to Melbourne (from Sydney)...

Lsj2Kel.jpg

Will post more pics once I can afford the final bits and pieces.

Thoughts?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice retro frame, can't help but feel that that is precisely what I wouldn't have done with it though, but it's your bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Interesting but why the layback seatpost and then have the saddle falling off the front of it :?:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    Interesting but why the layback seatpost and then have the saddle falling off the front of it :?:

Good question.

I'm waiting on a shorter stem. Once that's fitted I can put the seat back to a sensible position.

TBH there's a bunch of things I'd change if I had more money/parts laying about.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Im a big retro bike fan, and i like that alot. I would have had flat bars with no spacers personally with some bar ends if you wanted the alternate hand positions, and i would have gone for a nice brown charge spoon to go with the grips. Lovely none the less. :D
  • The Rookie
    I have 2 retros's, biggest issue for me is the white forks and front disc brake, kind of spoil it for me, technically superior to a steel with V's I'm sure.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I have 2 retros's, biggest issue for me is the white forks and front disc brake, kind of spoil it for me, technically superior to a steel with V's I'm sure.

I agree. I actually think steel forks would have been better for ride and appearance. But price was an issue. Need to use the brake bosses to mount a front rack. Also felt that running discs would be safer once the thing is loaded down with bags.
  • The Rookie
    Nothing in it on road between discs and V's, in facts V's are better as they don't load the spokes up as the braking is on the rim, you could have used Black Mosso forks (debadged) with V's and I think it would have looked a lot nicer, but that is a personal thing.