10/11 speed compatability

tpbiker
tpbiker Posts: 24
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Specifically can I use my current 10 speed compact 105 chainset to replace a 6800 ultegra 11 speed in 53/39 flavour which is coming on my new bike.

Any reason why it won't work?

thanks

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Should work. Rings will be a bit further apart (maybe 0.5mm) but I doubt the front mech will worry about that much. I'm surprised you couldn't specify the compact on the new bike (actually surprised it wasn't standard as most seem to come with compact these days!). You'll maybe need to shorten the chain a link of two, depending on what you do with the cassette.
  • Personally I wouldn't, as you've got a nice new Ultegra 6800 chainset there. As soon as you get the bike take it off then you can sell it here or on ebay and buy a 6800 compact chainset.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you take off the standard double and fit a compact (regardless of speed) you will need to move the front mech down. If you have a braze on this could be tricky.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Not it won't, just move the front mech down. The location of braze-on mounts is designed to work with both standard and compact chainsets. The only time it can be a bit of a hassle is with 55t+ rings (or ovalised rings).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tpbiker
    tpbiker Posts: 24
    thanks folks. Its a Canyon CF Sl so it has a braze on. Ridiculously I have to wait until may for one with a compact, but can get the exact same model with a 53/39 next week (although I'll have to shell out 17 quid to change the cassette as well)

I plan to sell the 53/39 so a new one probably makes sense.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I run 6800 on one bike with a SRAM red chainset and I don't get any issues at all.