What gear for this hill

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited January 2014 in Road general
On my way home from work I end my commute up this (and another longer more shallow climb) http://clevelandwheelers.com/skinningrove-bank/ .
I ride a Giant Cyclocross bike with a compact on the front and 11-30 rear.
There are a few climbs like this in my area and I use the 34 x 30 for all of them.
I change up (or is it down ) for the middle section of this climb a couple of rings and then back to the 30.
I can handle the climb seated all the way , I would like to throw it out there and ask what ratio YOU think you would be able to use ?
looking forward to your views as always.
regards
ILG

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    The only thing I can compare that to is Winnat's Pass in the Peak District which I have climbed on a number of occasions as part of the Phil Liggett Challenge ride. That is around 20% ramping up to 25% at its steepest and I usually get up in 30-27 but out of the saddle for the last half. I am 6' 4" and 189 pounds.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    53*11 of course.

53*12 if my bidon was full.
  • Excuse my ignorance , what is 30-27 in compact money ?
    regards
    ILG
  • marcusjb wrote:
    53*11 of course.

TDF your next race ? :D
    ILG
  • 34-34
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance , what is 30-27 in compact money ?
    regards
    ILG
    30-27 is a gear of 30in. Compact 34-30 is virtually identical at 30.6in.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    How will the ratios that other people use help you get up the hill..??
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I would use one of a range of gears depending on how hard I planned on riding up the hill
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    38-23
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    22x34, spin at 80 RPM for a long slow easy 4mph climb
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Probably 1st maybe second - the estate does not pull like the 4x4 did.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • 34/26 or 34/28 depending what bike I am on
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Buckles wrote:
    I would use one of a range of gears depending on how hard I planned on riding up the hill

Really, that is the answer. Depending on the bike and my desire for exertion, I could be sat twiddling my way up there or out of the saddle breathing out of my arse and ready to vomit.

On the fixed wheel bike, that is one where I would be using the 24 inch gear.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    39 x 25. easy peasy.
  • If you can climb a hill like that at 12kph, (7.5mph) I would say you're already doing quite well.

With a 34-27 that means a cadence of 80.

If you're looking to climb quickly, I wouldn't go below a cadence of 80, so if you're climbing slower than 12kph or so, would be best to use a 34-30 or lower.
  • With the SS roadie probably walking, I can manage 10% even 15% with 75in gearing but above that I'll stall.

On the MTB's just spin up in the middle ring with out much effort.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    http://www.gear-calculator.com/

allows quick and easy visual comparisons of gear combinations.

As for what gear I'd use - if I had a compact with a 30-11 cassette then I'd most likely use the 34/30 combo too ...
    Sometimes I bust my arse up a climb and force myself to use a bigger gear - other times I bust my arse and try to go for cadence - but most of the time I just put it in an easy gear and pedal till I'm at the top, thinking about anything but the hill in front of me....
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    34 x 28
  • Many thanks for the replies ,very interesting reading as always.
    I ask the question out of naive interest to be honest.
    I love all things related to training.
    I come from a fell/trail/road racing/running background and i used to love training with the runners of all abilities to see and more importantly feel the effort they put into training and racing.
    In competition I was never at the top but not bad for my age group and the desire to improve was with me right up until injuries finished me.
    I am well aware that finding out what others do will not make me faster ( as a previous poster posted) but i am interested , as i say in what levels of effort others would/are putting in and where i may be in comparison.
    The short answer would be to race and find out but with hundreds of running racing in my legs i am in no rush to find out that way!
    Your comments have given me plenty of food for thought and are always appreciated.
    regards
    ILG
  • smidsy wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:...I used to have a car like that too.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    marcusjb wrote:
    53*11 of course.

Nope, you're going to need a triple, your seem to be carrying a lot of pretentious b0ll0cks (it's a bottle, unless you're speaking French) :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd like to think I'd get up it on my 39x26 but I don't know, I can blast a 20%er that is a bout .5 of a mile long on that gearing out the saddle.

Ideally If it was longer i'd like to spin on a compact.

I am very very jealous of your commute home.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    75t at the front and a 7 at the rear. I AM MAN
  • smidsy wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:...I used to have a car like that too.

On of the hills nr my folks cars will need to use 1st at a few points 2nd is just about doable in places 3rd is is a hopeless thought, it is though a seriously steep hill 17% average with ramps way behond that in places etc.