Crank and bottom bracket removal help

Stevie Spokes
Stevie Spokes Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in Workshop

I want to remove the cranks and bottom bracket ( truvativ )of my boardman but am not sure which method is correct for my bike. As you can see from the photo there appears to be something missing, is it just a blank cap or is it an integral part.

Do I just need to put the correct tool into the hole and unscrew it , and which way to loosen it (I'm guessing anti clockwise)

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Anticlockwise. It looks like you would need a crank puller too but I can't see the normal screw marks to screw it in .. you will also need a tool to remove the bottom bracket. I learned all this with my octalink/isis crank/bracket but it wasn't obvious even with the help of mr google.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put the self extracting ring and plastic washer back on and then just undo the allen bolt you see in your picture.

if you dont have the parts you will need a suitable crack puller.

see parktools for how tos.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • extrusion wrote:
    Anticlockwise. It looks like you would need a crank puller too but I can't see the normal screw marks to screw it in .. you will also need a tool to remove the bottom bracket. I learned all this with my octalink/isis crank/bracket but it wasn't obvious even with the help of mr google.

Cheers for the info
  • nicklouse wrote:
    put the self extracting ring and plastic washer back on and then just undo the allen bolt you see in your picture.

The crank is as you see it. I don't have any self extracting ring, can I do it without one?
  • nicklouse wrote:

The crank is as you see it. I don't have any self extracting ring, can I do it without one?

If its n ot self extracting then you need a suitable crank puller - I had Truvativ Power Spline BBs for a while and they needed one like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/crank-puller

Park Tools maintencance site is your friend on this and there are a fair few vids on U-Tube showing how its done. Ita a pretty straightforward process if you have the tools and are carefull not to cross thread anything.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Elita never came Powerspline did it?

and that looks like a GXP to me.

which should have the self extracting ring and washer.

but a puller can be used.

manual below

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/KjsIO ... 03-000.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Elita never came Powerspline did it?

Don't know the PSP Truvativ BBs I had were with unbranded cranks that came OEM on a Spesh bike.
  • Thanks for all the help people. :)