How to use less quads and more glutes ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited February 2014 in Road general
I find after around 60 miles that I can really feel the effect of the ride predominantly in my quad muscles and very little in my glutes. If I were to make changes or adjustments to involve the glutes more and the quads less what courses of action or steps would you suggest ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Move thy saddle back 5mm
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Use a gear that allows you to spin a little faster.
    Try to pedal 'in circles' so that there is no downward pressure on the pedal as it moves from bottom to top. You don't have to try pulling UP on the pedal, just make sure the pedal is not pushing your foot up.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Move around on your saddle. A more forward position uses hamstrings/calves whilst a more backward one uses the quads.

The Fizik Arione is excellent for this as it is quite long giving you good scope to use different positions.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is your saddle high enough?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    JayKosta wrote:
    Use a gear that allows you to spin a little faster.
    Try to pedal 'in circles' so that there is no downward pressure on the pedal as it moves from bottom to top. You don't have to try pulling UP on the pedal, just make sure the pedal is not pushing your foot up.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

I'd second this. Instead of pushing "down" on the pedals, see if you can try and concentrate on pushing the pedals "forward", almost as if you're trying to push your fott past the front wheel.
  • Would simply positioning your bum a bit farther back on the saddle mean the glutes were coming into play to a higher degree ?
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Sitting up straighter seems to activate my glutes more and riding aero seems to make use of my quads.
    I`m no expert but This may change with the individual due to bike fit.
    Also some people have shorter bodies and longer legs and vise versa.
    So what works for one may not have the same effect on the other?
    Ive confused my self now but I hope it kind of makes sense.
  • Im the opposite OP. I have yet to figure out how to use my quads more.
    My glutes and knees get over used I think. Have tried a couple of positions with the saddle but hasn't made a difference so would like to know what your position is OP.