insurace claim - British cycling

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
I have a question.

Having been involved in an accident today, with damage to me and the bike. Can I join British cycling/ctc and use there solicitors for an accident that happened prior to joining?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    rubertoe wrote:
    I have a question.

Having been involved in an accident today, with damage to me and the bike. Can I join British cycling/ctc and use there solicitors for an accident that happened prior to joining?

Don't think so with BC but will check tomorrow if you like? Think the best we could do would be to refer you to lawyers that are cycle friendly. Hope you/bike aren't too badly damaged.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rubertoe
    Cheers msm.

Bit sore, bit of road rash, got a feeling that my shoulder and wrist will be sore and stiff tomorrow.

Bike seems ok, but will check it out in daylight. Tape will need replacing, wheel needs looking at.

Still in a bit of shock tbh.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Sorry to hear that Mr Toe,
    I think Sketchley had cover through LCC and the lawyers they used will do no win no fee type business and are cycle friendly.
    Then join BC anyway because it's well worth it and we need to keep young MSM in Pinot G.
    Take pictures if all the damaged items, take note of every extra cost you incur and I'll try to think of any more. If you're in any doubt about what damage you've done to yourself get checked out.
    Look after Mrs Toe because with youngest Toe on the scene she's probably a bit more freaked out than she would have been.
    Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ouchie! Echo Veronese's comments & sadly point you to the accident thread on the other commuter forum.
  • A friend had the same issue. I spoke to CTC for him and they said you can get retrospective cover if the lawyers agree to take the case but you have to then buy a five year membership. Although they also said that if the lawyers do everything right you can claim for that cost as well.
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    I was told a number of years ago by a solicitor (who was trying to get me to take action against my employer) that the legal cover you take out with a home or car insurance policy is not specific. He was willing to take on my case based on my car insurance legal cover.
    May be worth checking out.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I had this issue. I signed up post accident and they let me speak to one of their lawyers. Very helpful.

They would only take the case if it resulted in serious injury, if its minor they suggested to go through the other parties insurance company yourself as the process would be quicker. I did this route and it worked out OK.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    No answer to the questions but GWS!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rubertoe
    I have taken legal advice through my home insurance... will pursue a claim through them.

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    GWS Rubbertoe.

How is the Kaff?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    rubertoe wrote:
    I have a question.

PM'ed you.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I went through a no win no fee sol a few years back, didn't need BC or CTC membership, they were happy to take my case...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    No win no fee lawyers pay good money to advertise to get clients. You don't to be a member of any body to use those firms, they'd love you to be the one to ring them up with a good case. Membership offers no advantage if you are the one taking the case.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Hard luck Rubertoe. Hope you're ok.
  • rubertoe
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    GWS Rubbertoe.

How is the Kaff?

The Kaff has been checked over and is fine - only damage to the bike I can see is a bit of torn handle bar tape, a torn saddle and the shifters both have moved.

Its Steel and is rock solid.

The gloves were ripped to shreds (but my hands were not) and my tights and jacket were both ripped (I had a hi vis jacket on as well, i never wear a Hi Vis jacket normally).

They will all be going on the claim list.

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Glad to hear you are ok Rubbertoe. I hope everything gets sorted for you.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra