The replacing of a 105 name plate

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Due to a bad mechanic I need to replace the 105 name plate on my LH shifter.

Now my problem is that I can't remove one of the screws to then fit the new plate and nor do I want to unscrew anything with guess work.

The photo below shows the screw trapped by some black plastic. Any suggestions would be great as I continue my horrible learning curve of bike maintenance.

IMG_1040.JPG

Cheers
Iain
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• Head here http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18 and scan down to the bottom. Download the file EV-ST-5700-2998A. That should help you a little.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers, looked at it earlier and wasn't quite sure what I could take apart against how it was put together by Shimano.

It would appear that I could unscrew the brake/shift lever to access the screw and place it back without issue. Would love some clarification before it becomes a costly mistake ha.

Thanks again
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Get said bad mechanic to do it as pennance AND refund you the money for whatever he did.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Flâneur
    Wish I could Smidsy, full out denial saying that must have been how I delivered it. Was the last chance for that place anyway. Had a bad service when they didn't index my gears upon return. A later service, someone cross threaded the BB back in so half a mile down the road it all fell apart.

The manager handled that ok (vouchers and very apologetic) but I thought I would give the place one last go as I bought a deal on services. Only 2 good services out of 5 has meant that I shall avoid the place and the hassle.

I'll peddle over to a different one at the weekend if I get time see what they can do.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 799962.pdf

Looks like you need to remove (5) to give you access to (2).

Seems excessive - the Ultegra 9 speed I did just had a little screw in the top of the nameplate which was totally visible once you squeezed the lever. Progress Hmm.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I wish someone would do a youtube video on this, my OCD means my recently scuffed up 105 nameplates are driving me loopy :lol: :? :lol: :?