Limits of a new MTBer and a 80mm Hardtail

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited January 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi All
Just wondering what a 80mm front suspension hard tail would be like at places like Nant Yr Arian and Coed Y Brennin I have only been riding for just over a month, I have ridden off road motorbikes for years so have an idea of how to ride off road, but I have over 12" of suspension on my motorbike.
Everyone tells me the tyres on a mtb are good for grip and not to worry to much about that, how big of a obstacle can you ride with 80mm ( Rock Shox Recon Silver air forks) just like to have a bit of an idea so I can plan my route up or down a section, before I think I wonder if I can go over that or this and end up on my face thinking shouldn't of done that :(

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You'll be fine on most things at a trail centre on that. Don't worry about it.

When I started riding I had a crappy Dart 2 fork on my hardtail and it was my ability, not the bike's that held me back. Someone will be along soon with a photo of someone riding a rigid down the World Cup course at Fort William.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I know what you mean there is always someone out there who can do some things and you think how the hell did he do that, I have ridden motorbikes for 34 years and when I watch people like Toni Bou I haven't a clue how the hell he can do the things he can do on a trials bike
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    The guys over on "Retrobike" regularily ride trail centers and natural single track on full rigid 80s and 90s bikes so I wouldnt worry about having 80mm.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I my old 1990's hard tail bike has 50mm front suspension and v-brakes. I used to ride it anywhere with no problems.
  • morepower
    morepower Posts: 140
    When I started on my old rigid it never stopped me from riding anything I would ride on a modern bike. We used to have a 50 foot quarry drop in which was a 3 to 4 foot lip onto the slope you couldnt walk or scramble up. There were no trail centers then and it would now be seen as a black section. The only difference would have been the average speeds of the rides we did back then I guess but it is all about the ride and fun you get from riding and pushing your own limits not bragging rights.. lol.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're confident and moderately competent then an 80mm hardtail is fine on any trail.
    It's about the rider, not the bike.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Buy yourself a 160mm bike, you'll spoil yourself, and you'll be incapable at riding on a 80mm hard tail over obstacles. If you start with a 80mm hard tail, you'll always be fine
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    100mm hardtail is my main ride for most things and goes with me to trail centres all the time - I have no issues with tackling any welsh trails I have been to as yet including blacks, reds etc. If its a new trail to you its always best to take a look at stuff on the trail first to be sure you aren't getting into anything you might have problems with from a skills point of view and build up the difficulty levels steadily (dont just hit the black run first and hope for the best).

Have fun and post your bike up in the Your bike section!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    You will have no problem at all at Coed-Y-Brennin I don't know about the other. Just don't go OTT on the jumps I have no idea how good you are but use some common sense its usually the rider that's the limiting factor. My mate rides a Carrera Vulcan with suntour xcm (no suspension horrific forks) everywhere from Coed to Fort William with no damage to the bike at all, that said his bike doesn't reflect his ability and he is a very good rider. The key point is your 80mm HT is more than adequate for Coed although it has difficult sections so be careful.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build