Insurance issue following an accident

n4th4n007
n4th4n007 Posts: 364
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
I was riding my normal route home yesterday whereby I approach a relatively large roundabout with 3 lanes. I turn right at the roundabout which means I have to filter across 2 lanes of traffic to reach the right hand lane. Generally at the time I get there every day the traffic is slow or stationary.

Approaching yesterday a car on my left decided he wanted to be in my lane and suddenly pulled right with no indication, he saw me or my light last minute and served back in. However in the meantime I have been pushed into the full lane of traffic and immediately came up to the rear end of a car slowing down quickly. I don't have time to stop and I ride into the back of the car, going through the rear windscreen.

My helmet took all the impact and basically split in 2, and apart from minor cuts and some seriously sore ribs and bad bruising I'm ok. Bars are slightly bent and front wheel is pringled.

The car that pulled into me did not stop. So it's left with me, the car I hit and no rear windscreen. Obviously it could of been a lot worst.

We exchanged details etc and the driver called me today saying that she can get the rear screen repaired via her car insurance with little excess, but she wants to get her car checked out for further damage. I took a number of pictures and the back looked fine.

Obviously I'm happy to pay for her windscreen excess, but I don't have any insurance (although I do as of today as I purchased the BC membership - lesson learnt) However I'm concerned if further damage is found the driver will hand the claim over to your insurance company and an army of legal beavers will come at me for full costs of further repairs.

Does anybody know my position. I obviously appreciate the driver was simply slowing down and minding her own business, but it was also unavoidable from my side due to the car serving into my path.

Comments

• n4th4n007
    Damage here: 20140129-211631.jpg

Lucky it wasn't a lot worst.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Jeez, could have been a lot worse.

Do you have any home insurance? Liability can sometimes cover you on that I think? Also see if you can talk to the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau) who look at cases involving untraceable or uninsured drivers. If the woman whose car you dived through witnessed his driving, that may help.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Glad you're relatively unscathed. Have a look at the "What to do in case of an accident" thread over in Commuting General for a starters.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • n4th4n007
    Sure, I did have a look but it doesn't mention Third Party Liability. Thanks for the advice.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    n4th4n007 wrote:
    Sure, I did have a look but it doesn't mention Third Party Liability. Thanks for the advice.
    As MsM says, check your home insurance to see what cover that might give you. Some cover is fairly common, but I think there's obviously variation in the degree of cover.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Any CCTV on that roundabout? Might have caught the other driver.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think you'd be unlucky to not have third party liability on your home/contents insurance. It's a standard clause in policies.

From looking at that photo I'd say there's possibly a dent above the left hand edge of the rear number plate, so she might not be taking the mick.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."