Stoodley Pike

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited February 2014 in Routes
Thinking me next ride out might be Hebden again. Going to cobble a route together from the OS map. Feel I should take in Stoodley Pike as it's pretty iconic and I've not been up there before. I'm under the impression there's a pretty decent descent from the top?

Looking on't map though, there only seems to be footpaths which go right to the top so what's the best way up and the best way back down again?

Comments

• Right... deep breath and here goes...

Out of hebden bridge come back along the road for a few miles towards Todmorden and turn left over the canal at Shaw Wood, bear right past a boat yard and follow your nose up the road through the woods. At the top it goes left 90 degrees and at this point you need to take the dirt track right in front of you and keep going up, get to a gate and turn left then keep following the trail and you'll be able to find your way to the pike.

From there you're at the top and it depends where you want to go, back along the pennine spine is footpath however I have, erm, well "seen" several riders along that ridge.

Its full of big boulders so makes for a bit of tricky trials riding from what I've, erm... "Seen" of the riders I saw...

Be careful though, its peat so will swallow you, your bike and any small children you have in tow if you hit one of the big puddles.

At some point you can bear right and head down a trail which brings you out near the Shepherds Rest on LUmbits road but I only know that junction when I'm there.

If I'm totaly honest I wouldn't ride the pike in winter its much to soft until the peat firms up.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I rode around Hebden Bridge. I did The Blue Pig then up and down a couple of the trails at Pecket Well, then lapped that again.

All good and all rocky trails hold up really well.
  • Right... deep breath and here goes...

Out of hebden bridge come back along the road for a few miles towards Todmorden and turn left over the canal at Shaw Wood, bear right past a boat yard and follow your nose up the road through the woods. At the top it goes left 90 degrees and at this point you need to take the dirt track right in front of you and keep going up, get to a gate and turn left then keep following the trail and you'll be able to find your way to the pike.

From there you're at the top and it depends where you want to go, back along the pennine spine is footpath however I have, erm, well "seen" several riders along that ridge.

Its full of big boulders so makes for a bit of tricky trials riding from what I've, erm... "Seen" of the riders I saw...

Be careful though, its peat so will swallow you, your bike and any small children you have in tow if you hit one of the big puddles.

At some point you can bear right and head down a trail which brings you out near the Shepherds Rest on LUmbits road but I only know that junction when I'm there.

If I'm totaly honest I wouldn't ride the pike in winter its much to soft until the peat firms up.

Blimey, cheers for the detail fella, should be able to find my way up there. Given what you say and the endless rain at the moment, I might hold off going up there for a while.
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I rode around Hebden Bridge. I did The Blue Pig then up and down a couple of the trails at Pecket Well, then lapped that again.

All good and all rocky trails hold up really well.

Think I'll do this when I go. Is pecket well pretty obvious? As in, take any road up there and any bridle way back down?
  • mcnultycop
    Come down past the Blue Pig club from the trail then over the bridge, there's a little bridle way heading up. Head up that then take a right after a good few hundred metres then head back down the next one. Then do the same in reverse!
  • mcnultycop
    Or up the road to Pecket Well then pick a bridleway back. I just follow my nose.
  • how do you get to the blue pig ride, is it from heptonstall? any pointers on where the trail starts.
  • mcnultycop
    I can get there, but not describe it too well!

Yes, it's up towards Heptonstall. The Blue Pig itself, the working men's club, is in Midgehole and this is where the trail ends. This is near Hardcastle Crags. One option could be to park up here then push up the trail. It'll give you a chance to scope out the trail, as it is pretty challenging in places.

After riding down it you'll want to hit it again.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    I can get there, but not describe it too well!

Yes, it's up towards Heptonstall. The Blue Pig itself, the working men's club, is in Midgehole and this is where the trail ends. This is near Hardcastle Crags. One option could be to park up here then push up the trail. It'll give you a chance to scope out the trail, as it is pretty challenging in places.

After riding down it you'll want to hit it again.

I was thinking about doing the Blue Pig, then Peckett well, then jumping on the train back to Burnley. How far is the Blue Pig in total
  • mcnultycop
    The techy bit of the Blue Pig is only 5-600m or so, plus the sanitised bit at the top that isn't really worth bothering with.

You need to string it into a bigger loop or just keep sessioning it. Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge do some local trail maps for 50p (ish) but to be honest I've never bought one.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    The techy bit of the Blue Pig is only 5-600m or so, plus the sanitised bit at the top that isn't really worth bothering with.

You need to string it into a bigger loop or just keep sessioning it. Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge do some local trail maps for 50p (ish) but to be honest I've never bought one.
    Cheers. Mate
  • There are some great loops around Hebden Bridge that take in any or all of the above mentioned trails .... There is a great descent from the Pike, directly infront of it :) But as said it will be a little boggy around the area just now .... Bobbing down through Pecket Well into Hardcastle Craggs is a great descent too with some techy rocky sections which are slippery when wet ... But great fun :) And the Blue Pig .. again just great fun :)

We are based in Halifax and do have regular group rides around Hebden Bridge area, and we always welcome other riders to join us :)
  • sounds good mate. going to have a day exploring the area