10 Speed Rear Hub with 7 Speed Groupset

chmnda
chmnda Posts: 5
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

I am trying to built up a vintage road bike
and gotten myself a campagnolo c record 8 speed groupset of front, back derailleurs and shifters.
However, I also gotten a 10 speed chorus rear hub for this bike.
Which speed cassette should I get? A 8 speed cassette with spacer or a 10 speed cassette?
Which one is workable or both works?
Because I researched and realise that a 8 speed cassette won't be able to fit a 10 speed chorus rear hub, only 10 speed cassettes are able to.

Thanks
and hope for some replies
because URGENT HELP
been searching around for months for the answer to my issue :?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    An 8 speed cassette is what you want, but you can't fit a Campag 8 speed cassette on a hub with a Campag 9/10/11 speed freehub, as the splines are different.

A 10 speed cassette and chain will not work properly with your groupset.

Basically your hub is not suitable. 8 speed Campag hubs are easy to find cheap though, why not just buy one?
  • get a 10 speed chain and cassette, it will be fine... your groupset is not indexed, therefore any number of sprockets will do just fine. I have friends on downtube shifters and 10 speed cassettes, they work fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • chmnda
    So if I get myself a 10 speed cassette, will it work but not smoothly, or not able to work at all?
    Because I also have a 10 speed campagnolo ghibli and really wish the 10 speed hubs are able to work with the 7 speed group set.

Thanks for the reply!
  • chmnda
    I think my group set is indexed.
  • Not many C-Record with Ergo levers around... You might be able to botch up something using a JTek shift mate, but you won't be able to use the all cassette. Better luck with a 9 speed cassette, which will fit your hub
  • chmnda
    They are not c-record ergo levers. They are down tube levers but they have "clicking" sound when shifted, I suppose they are indexed. or could they be changed to friction?

Thanks for the replies guys
    appreciated
  • chmnda wrote:
    They are not c-record ergo levers. They are down tube levers but they have "clicking" sound when shifted, I suppose they are indexed. or could they be changed to friction?

Thanks for the replies guys
    appreciated

They are Synchro levers, I believe you can remove the indexing and use them as simple friction levers and use a 10 speed cassette