Are these wheels / rims worn out

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi Guys, just bought these wheels on ebay Cube HP Aero [made by citec]
They were listed as used but "all in good condition" " Rear has few marks on decals" yes but not a problem.

The rear wheels bearings are a bit gritty but I can sort that.

It's the rims I am concerned with, there are loads of pics here so please see them all, the ones in this listing are of the front. They seem to have worn strangely with a double ridge in the middle [like tram lines], please see pics. And the whole surface is roughly worn.

On the next listing is the rear, the rim are quite dished [in my opinion] and again badly worn.

Also both rims seem to have stress like lines again please see pics as it's hard to explain.

I'm no expert on wheelsets and when they are worn so would appreciate any input and help.

The seller sent good communication and seems a decent Guy so don't think anything sinister etc, that is of course if they are worn etc.
Many thanks in anticipation, Alan

DSCI0787.jpg
DSCI0789.jpg
DSCI0790.jpg
DSCI0791.jpg
DSCI0792.jpg

Comments

• ascurrell
    Now the rears

DSCI0797.jpg
    DSCI0798.jpg
    DSCI0799.jpg
    DSCI0801.jpg
    DSCI0804.jpg
    DSCI0805.jpg
    DSCI0806.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I wouldn't be worried about that crazing in the finish, but that rear rim looks worn out to me, and the front's not far behind it.

There's a big difference between worn and worn out.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    From the minute you fit them, every ride afterwards you'll be thinking "is this the ride when the front or rear wheel fractures at the brake track".

Barge pole.

PS - Best way to measure wear is to use a dental guage, they're about a fiver on ebay. As a general rule, if they measure less than 1mm look to replace, and don't use them once they get to 0.7mm.

As I said, a general rule.
  • The rear is dangerous and you should stop riding it now
    The seller is a fraudster, there is no other way to describe him
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    To be fair, the seller could just be someone who knows little about bikes. The rear rim being worn more than the front suggests he doesn't even know how to ride a bike. I had the same issue with a front wheel I bought off eBay, notified the seller and he apologised and gave me a full refund.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Not unusual for the rear wheel to wear faster than the front. I do know how to ride a bike ;)
  • BigMat wrote:
    To be fair, the seller could just be someone who knows little about bikes. The rear rim being worn more than the front suggests he doesn't even know how to ride a bike. I had the same issue with a front wheel I bought off eBay, notified the seller and he apologised and gave me a full refund.

If you know little about rims, you don't make a statement about their condition... you just say you have no idea.

All rear rims wear quicker if you ride in the wet, it's dirtier at the back of the bike
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    BigMat wrote:

If you know little about rims, you don't make a statement about their condition... you just say you have no idea.

All rear rims wear quicker if you ride in the wet, it's dirtier at the back of the bike

I ride in the wet but mine don't. I hardly ever use the rear brake. TBH I don't have to use the front very often on my gentle, rural amblings. I can confirm that despite full mudguards the back wheel is a lot dirtier than the front. (note to self to give it a wash at the weekend...)

Although last night I did have to brake to avoid a badger crossing in front of me. None of that dithering and changing it's mind like deer or rabbits; just a very determined, head down and straight across. Big bugger too. I can imagine a badger could get quite bitey if you hit one.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If it is an ebay purchase open a case you will get your money back. Ebay will side with you if you put a clear case across with pics. I have done this with second hand parts that have been described as in working condition but turned out to be inoperable. The seller refused to do anything so I opened a case and I got my money back. It works the other way around to when parts have been returned to me marked/damaged unfit for resale and I have not refunded in full ebay sided with me when the buyer opened a case.

I would not ride the rear the rim could blow out any time.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I appear to have no idea... :oops:
  • ascurrell
    Thanks for replys so far.

I suppose instead of some of you guys agreeing or dis agreeing on how to ride a bike I am merely asking if the rims are, apologies for saying that but it just moves away from my original questions about the wheelset and I need to make a decision on what to do next about them sooner rather than later, thanks

a] good condition or not
    b] worn or worn out
    c] the front is a strange wear pattern, it is worn with a ridge in the middle of the braking surface, like the brake block had a deep cut in it. The opposite to a wear groove on a rim [hope that makes sense]
    d] are they dangerous
    e] were they wrongly described as good condition

Thanks again , alan
  • Post the full description from ebay here and let them loose. :)
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    They are clearly not in good condition, are badly worn to the point of being dangerous. So unless the seller described them as worn out wheels that are in dangerous condition then I would say they were wrongly described...
  • I advise you not to ride them and return them...

Have a read, so you know what happens if you do ride them

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... t-too-much
  • rattyc5
    rattyc5 Posts: 84
    as said earlier, you will get your money back by making a dispute with ebay if he will not refund you. I once bought some rockshox forks which were described as used but in good condition. they were knackered. the seller would not answer my emails so I went through ebay and got my money back off them. they will take seller to court themselves to get money back. I had cash back after roughly 3 weeks. don't know if ebay ever got their cas h back.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME rears wear faster than the front if ridden in winter due to the dirty road spray picked up from the front.
    I'd return them - concave brake track is due to excessive wear and could result in sudden catastrophic failure, simply not worth the risk unless you have good dental insurance.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Is this a wind-up?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Buckles wrote:
    Is this a wind-up?

Does look a little like it!

I have never had a rim fail, but have seen exploded rims. Happened to a friend only a couple of weeks ago, luckily at low speed going up a hill. The consequences of a rim failure at speed do not bear thinking about.

Wind up or not, I wouldn't ride that rear wheel for sure.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I have a rim like that which I was about to relegate to the turbo, but now the freehub has failed. Ah well, never mind.

But these are my old knackered rims I was about to stop using, not ones I've just bought.

The front looks odd to be sure - could be a damaged block : what's the other side like ?
  • ascurrell
    I advise you not to ride them and return them...

Have a read, so you know what happens if you do ride them

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... t-too-much

Thanks to all for replying, this link was very interesting, thanks
  • ascurrell
    Buckles wrote:
    Is this a wind-up?

If you are questioning my initial listing, no it isn't, the photos are real, the description is genuine and honest,

the only thing was that the description on ebay wasn't true.

everyone else has given good valued feedback, your's is a wind up
  • ascurrell
    Again, many thanks for all the feedback, I have now been given a full refund, that's also appreciated, alan
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    BigMat wrote:

...and if you're using the wrong brake.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    good to hear you got a refund. Cheeky seller me thinks.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    ascurrell wrote:
    Buckles wrote:
    Is this a wind-up?

If you are questioning my initial listing, no it isn't, the photos are real, the description is genuine and honest,

No, calm down, it was just a question because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've seen threads like this before that turned out to be a joke.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • edten wrote:

Ah, here is another one who knows how to cycle...

Listen, the vast majority of rims I see and I see many wear quicker at the rear. You can argue that nobody knows how to brake like you do, but the fact remains.
  • ascurrell
    edten wrote:

Ah, here is another one who knows how to cycle...

Listen, the vast majority of rims I see and I see many wear quicker at the rear. You can argue that nobody knows how to brake like you do, but the fact remains.

I also think maybe the brakes were set up wrong on inspection. The reason being that there is uneven wear into the black from the braking surface area. Of course in initial listing no close up pics could be seen of this. I've learn't a lesson here to ask for close up pics rather than just believing "good condition" in listing.
  • ascurrell
    Buckles wrote:
    ascurrell wrote:
    Buckles wrote:
    Is this a wind-up?

No, calm down, it was just a question because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've seen threads like this before that turned out to be a joke.

Apologies, but it wasn't a joke. I had forked out good money for them and was disappointed.

I just found it strange that you wrote something like that knowing how I felt at the time.

Maybe a joke sometimes but can also be kicking a guy when he was down. Happy cycling, well when I can get some bloody wheels lol
  • ascurrell
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I have a rim like that which I was about to relegate to the turbo, but now the freehub has failed. Ah well, never mind.

But these are my old knackered rims I was about to stop using, not ones I've just bought.

The front looks odd to be sure - could be a damaged block : what's the other side like ?

Certainly is odd [the front], between those two raised 'tram lines' there is a groove. The other side is badly worn but not with that ridge, that side looks more like its been metal to metal braking.
  • ascurrell wrote:
    Certainly is odd [the front], between those two raised 'tram lines' there is a groove. The other side is badly worn but not with that ridge, that side looks more like its been metal to metal braking.

That is not unusual, have a look at this section, which shows the same type of wear and you will understand why it does wear that way

rim_zps702fb8d5.jpg