The influences on buying a new bike

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
As I procrastinate from this months monthly chores (to be completed by Friday so I have plenty of time) I keep looking at a new bike but often as not I have my mind changed by many factors.

What influences you? And which influences do you let rule your heart and mind? Obviously budget comes to the forefront, but there is always a selection within the budget!

My influences are probably that of others but it would be interesting to see what else is considered.

Mine, should you care

The known brand and the LBS,
For me would be another Giant, probably a TCR advanced, though maybe a propel (except the colour is horrible in my budget). However much sense it makes I don't want another Giant as half my club ride them (silly I know).

The romance
Probably a De Rosa, not particularly common here, but I do seem drawn to them and the colour scheme yet I know nothing about it and I don't believe I could try one with any ease!

The local rare steed.
A Dolan Ares, Bit of an enigma and so it has my curiosity.

The bang for buck
A canyon. A pro frame, top level kit. Ignoring the lack of a test ride it all seems sensible.

Everyone else's suggestions and bike reviews
A trek, a Boardman, a Scott, a Willier.
People suggest them so you investigate adding another dilemma to the headache! Who really says a bad thing about their purchase!
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• Colour - Mine must be white.

Not because I'm a card holding NF racist or anything. :roll:

I just think it's the best colour.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Buy local-don't want to be travelling miles to return it if something goes wrong!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Colour - Mine must be white.

Not because I'm a card holding NF racist or anything. :roll:

I just think it's the best colour.

Shows the dirt best I suppose.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I know the feeling. I've changed my mind a few times over the past few months before ordering a Canyon last week. I've even still got it in the back of my mind that I still have a few days to cancel should I change my mind!

However, you've got to fix a few things in stone to make the process sensible. If you haven't already then decide on the following:

1. What's your order of priority for the following:
    a) local purchase versus on-line
    b) brand "prestige"
    c) comfort/fit
    d) weight
    e) appearance
    f) price
    g) reviews/data/feedback
    - For me from high to low priority, I think this went roughly c-d-g-f-e-a-b. Lots of people will prioritise these differently as illustrated by two of the replies above. It's not right or wrong. It's dependent on your preferences and abilities.

2. What groupset do you want/need? Do you specifically want Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo or will any of them do and also do you know what ratios you want?
    - I tried SRAM Force, didn't like the hoods. Decided I wanted Ultegra 11 speed with a 52/36 or preferably 50/34 compact.

3. Lead time
    - I expect to wait 3 months for mine. I can live with that. You may be in more of a hurry.

These criteria should at least reduce the field to a manageable number of options. The final decision can still be tough.
  • Shows the dirt best I suppose.

Doesn't pick up too much dirt on the Turbo. 8)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    i agree bangs for you buck would point you at canyon - if yo want a bike with soul it would rule out Trek, Giant etc..... so if you're an individual Colnago, Bianchi (gets fab reviews right now), or Cervelo (good deals around) ......... or the obvious favourite of mine :) if you have never ridden a good italian go for it, you wont regret it
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ai_1
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    i agree bangs for you buck would point you at canyon - if yo want a bike with soul it would rule out Trek, Giant etc..... so if you're an individual Colnago, Bianchi (gets fab reviews right now), or Cervelo (good deals around) ......... or the obvious favourite of mine :) if you have never ridden a good italian go for it, you wont regret it
    Call me a cold sceptical engineer if you wish but a bike is a machine. The quality of the ride and handling do not depend on soul, heritage or any other intangible nearly superstitious nonsense. Some bikes are better than others but you can be sure it's down to physical attributes and nothing else. Those physical attributes are provided via good engineering, materials and workmanship not names, places, soul spirit or any other rubbish marketing departments decide people are willing to swallow.
    Furthermore, it's not very individual to buy what the majority consider to be the prestige brand and to do it on the basis of lots of good reviews. I'm not saying don't get one. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you're being especially individual!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Ai_1 wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Call me a cold sceptical engineer if you wish but a bike is a machine. The quality of the ride and handling do not depend on soul, heritage or any other intangible nearly superstitious nonsense. Some bikes are better than others but you can be sure it's down to physical attributes and nothing else. Those physical attributes are provided via good engineering, materials and workmanship not names, places, soul spirit or any other rubbish marketing departments decide people are willing to swallow.
    Furthermore, it's not very individual to buy what the majority consider to be the prestige brand and to do it on the basis of lots of good reviews. I'm not saying don't get one. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you're being especially individual!

A vaild point although it's worth remembering manufacturers are just as capable of over-stating their engineering qualities when it comes to marketing.
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

A vaild point although it's worth remembering manufacturers are just as capable of over-stating their engineering qualities when it comes to marketing.
    I agree. But at least they're being misleading in the correct subject matter.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Ai_1 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJby0BCJwDQ