How do I identifiy my Reba model & year,replacing the Poploc

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

On a previous post I mentioned I had Poploc issues, tried all obvious solutions inc cleaning out, replacing cable and outer etc.

I want rid of it, and a manual knob on the fork crown, thinking of doing the job myself.

What is the minimal item/kit I need to do this? I can not see much being required, as I reckon all I need to do is strip the remtote lock, cables and outer, then remove the bit where the cable clamps, and perhaps some sort of return spring, then replace all this with the manual version.

In order to ID the right kit, I also need to positively ID the fork. Its on a 2012 (bought end of 2012 in the Sale) Cube Ltd SL 26inch wheels, any where to check the exact model date/number on the fork?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You probably only need to figure out if its 2012 on or 2011. Thats an easy enough job. The 2012+ models have hollow leg bottoms, with the footnuts recessed right up into the fork legs, pre 2012 models have the footnuts at the base of the leg on the 'outside' so to speak.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    edited January 2014
    As for the parts - you probably need the whole damper unit as the poplock is spring loaded, whereas the standard RL offers increments of compression to lock. Any RL/RLT/RCT3 damper for your correct year of fork will work. If you have 2012+ forks you can use the SID ones too, I think pre 2012 you will need a reba specific one. Personally if it fits I would go for a RLT Moco DNA or RCT3 damper unit. You should be able to simply take the old one out and slot the new one in its place no worries.

Once you know, check out SRAMs site for technical diagrams, then check out petra cycles for prices.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are you replacing?

the poplock is just a lever on the bars. any will do.

if you are replacing the MoCo cartridge then that is a different matter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I want shut of the Poploc, so I need to get rid of the spring loaded dial, and need a manual dial.

My forks have the recessed / hollow legs. So thats 2012.

Sorry to be daft, but could someone link me to what I need and about what I should be paying?

I think I need something like this, but not the Poploc version...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RockShox-Compre ... +shox+reba

OR - replace the Poploc spring, but I don't fancy its chances considering the short life this current one has had!

What tools will I need, would this job get messy or do I avoid all that?
  • benpinnick
    You are going to be paying up to £120 or so to replace the whole assembly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    I want shut of the Poploc, so I need to get rid of the spring loaded dial, and need a manual dial.
    looked in the FAQs?

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12686393
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    I want shut of the Poploc, so I need to get rid of the spring loaded dial, and need a manual dial.
    looked in the FAQs?

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12686393

Thanks - so what is the end result of that? Spring removed, but how do you then manual operate?
  • benpinnick wrote:
    You are going to be paying up to £120 or so to replace the whole assembly.

:cry:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't need to replace the whole assembly, ignore that.

Follow the guide Nick linked to, then you just need a crown mounted lever.
  • Right! Can you link me a lever?

Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-MoCo-201 ... B005XGAIS0
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No, this.
  • Thanks - so this (albeit still pricey, but not as pricey as other solutions), plus the method on the other thread, and I have a manual fork on/off, and no Poploc?
  • just use the poploc knob that the cable attaches to, no point in changing as it will still work - I know, I did it.

Just unclip the spring internally and fit everything back together. Just remember, you can't really put the spring back on once its done.

Old pic - but this is how mine ended up. As you can see, the poploc knob is still in place, worked spot on.
    20130521_203723_zps8bedb902.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Fitting an O ring to add some friction to the cap can help.
  • OK. May have a play about with it in the week.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I removed the poploc from mine. Just take out the compression damper, unhook the return spring inside the damper (no need to remove it) and refit the damper. Just use the existing knob.
    Costs nothing and works fine.
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fitting an O ring to add some friction to the cap can help.

Any idea what size o-ring is required?
  • Small... whatever fits.

I didnt use one, didnt find it was required.
  • Seems to be a known problem - out of interest how do Sram/RockShox respond to requests for help for something with in a 2 year warranty?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Seems to be a known problem - out of interest how do Sram/RockShox respond to requests for help for something with in a 2 year warranty?

They claim it's lack of regular maintenance and cleaning. In reality it's just a sh1t design.