Moving House

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
Is there anything in life more annoying and frustrating* than moving house?

Solicitors, impatient sellers and buyers, needing to pack old houses and paint news houses....

it really is the pinnacle of nonsense.

I equate getting estate agents to call you back as being as hard as splitting the atom of moonwalking the great wall of China.

We even had a man with a really small set of ladders knock on our door and poke his surveying head up into our attic.

As you get to the conclusion of the deal there is the bizaree notion of not actually knowing where you will be living in more than a few weeks time, coupled with the realisation that a change of heart by anyone in the whole process could bring the whole thing grinding to a halt right up to you getting your keys...

Rant over.

*I know there is but, bear with it.

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

Certainly very traumatic, which tends to come from the annoyance and frustration.

I bought my present house off my mum after my dad died, about 15 years ago. The fact that mum and I share not only the same surname (naturally) but also the same initials caused some problems.
    Such as, ST Water transferred all the water rates I'd just paid for my house into my mum's account for her new house and then refused to transfer the money back; "Can't you just ask her for it?" said the ST wakner in one phone call. :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Is someone forcing you to move?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Is someone forcing you to move?

What planet exactly do you live on?! Is that your response to everything in life.
  • Hahah @sloppy.

No gun to my head of course. But would like some more space thanks for asking.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Ah the devils triumvirate of estate agents, solicitors and mortgage advisors. I've only ever bought a house once so far in my life and I hope it's sometime before I have to deal them again. How hard can photocopying, making phone calls and filling out forms be?
  • Its both tricky and costly based on my current experiences :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273

Yes..moving house and then finding that you have scratched your precious Carbon frame on your best bike in the process :evil: :evil:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wow!

bad times.

I only moved about 50 yards last time so was able to walk from house to house with my bikes to avoid any danger.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    smidsy wrote:

Yes..moving house and then finding that you have scratched your precious Carbon frame on your best bike in the process :evil: :evil:

My precious carbon bike managed that all on it's own*. Just keeled over sideways in the garage like Dell-Boy falling through the opened bar.

* OK, I might have nudged it a tiny bit as I was wrestling the wheely bin. I'm still seething, and it was months ago. Still need to fit the replacement mech hanger...
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    i am currently trying to buy my first house at the moment,and this seems to be enough trouble,trying to jump through the right hoops for people,and then there is the estate agents,based on my experinces up to now got to say 75% of them have got their heads firmly planted some where,and like to look down on you,not bad to say that the people buying and sell houses pays their bloody wages
  • with a bit of elbow grease there are lots of properties to renovate here and make your home a castle.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    gastrovelo wrote:
    with a bit of elbow grease there are lots of properties to renovate here and make your home a castle.

Yes but that would entail living in France - which may not be very convenient.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    What really gets me is the commonly spouted nonsense that house prices going up 10% a year is a good thing.

That leaves me, a successful mid-30s professional living with a family in a 2 bed small house - with a mortgage of £850 a month.

When my parents were my age they bought the house they're still in - our family home. People say that it's just relative - but it's not - it's about 3 times relative and with salaries being pretty stagnant it'll only get worse. For me to buy a house like my parents would cost about £1800 per month which is just stupid - and that's with some equity.

What gets me almost as much is people seeing it as an investment - because that house you bought for 300k will be "worth" 500k in 15 years - but in that time you've basically given all that "profit" to the bank in interest. Only the banks win and I think it's been pretty clear in the last 10 years what they're interested in.

The whole thing is just stupid. It's just some bricks. Live in it and then sell it to someone else. The only ones making money are the wealthy and in pretty sure they need less of a hand than I do.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Spiralling house prices benefit nobody but the mortgage lenders, estate agents and all the other miscellaneous hangers-on. For most people trying to move from a small house to a slightly bigger one, a 10% increase in house prices also means a 10% increase in the extra loan they'll need. The only time you can hope to benefit from the increase in the value of your house is if you're going the other way and downsizing, and by that time you're starting to worry about whether you can afford to retire and how long you're going to stay healthy and independent.

People in this country are obsessed with short term financial gain and house prices in particular. I'm sick of hearing about it.
  • use an online estate agent and save a fortune.
  • better still - setup a one-page website (or ask a techy friend), advertising your house. Wordpress can give you some nice templates for dynamic sites with moving galleries etc...

Put an enquiry form for people to get in touch or put your mobile number on it if you're brave.

The only issue might be surfacing the site in search results.

The less money going into Estate Agents pockets the better.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I feel your pain man.

Good luck with it!