Homemade recipes for low GI & hi carb on the move food ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited January 2014 in Road general
The sort you can put in a jersey rear pocket without the need for a wrapper and without it literally disintegrating into an inedible mess , anyone know of links to make same ? I tried this last week with those yoghurt topped berry slices which are 74g carbs per 100g and the results were a disaster.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• jazgill
    jazgill Posts: 98
    I hate the taste of gels and am not too keen on the bars either so I've recently bought a couple of books which are really good.
    "Feed Zone Portables" and "Feed Zone Cookbook" by Thomas and Lim
    HTH
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I have discovered(for me anyway) that I don't need to ingest tons of carbs to be able to ride long distances. Sure, you've got to keep a supply coming in at regular intervals but am learning that I don't need lots of bottles full of this or that sludgey drink mix or bunches of packets of some stickey, slimy goo. I find I can ride 60 or so miles, and feel fine, on a Clif bar, a small protein bar, plain water, and maybe a Coke and or a chocolate chip cookie somewhere along the way. Works for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dennisn wrote:
    I find I can ride 60 or so miles, and feel fine, on a Clif bar, a small protein bar, plain water, and maybe a Coke and or a chocolate chip cookie somewhere along the way. Works for me.

To me that is quite a lot. been trying to drop a stone recently so I am limiting myself to what I eat, and when riding the bike. I'd normally take a banana, a slice of flapjack (about 1"wide and 2"long), a handful of jelly-babies (10) and a 750ml bottle of water.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    sjmclean wrote:

To me that is quite a lot. been trying to drop a stone recently so I am limiting myself to what I eat, and when riding the bike. I'd normally take a banana, a slice of flapjack (about 1"wide and 2"long), a handful of jelly-babies (10) and a 750ml bottle of water.

How far do you ride? I do my 40 mile loop with 2 bottles of water

Its only 50+ miles that you should need to take food with you. The body has enough energy for about 2 hours without needing to top up
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    For 200k audaxes I take 2 bars a banana and a couple gels (which I never end up using). The only time I shovel food in the quantities above is 400k+ audaxes and 12+24hr TTs. That said, for those rides I make some interesting stuff. Potato pancakes with jam, spinach and bacon is nice as are peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Best energy food for endurance activities is still a toss-up between bananas and dates (medjool being the best).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Grill wrote:
    For 200k audaxes I take 2 bars a banana and a couple gels (which I never end up using). The only time I shovel food in the quantities above is 400k+ audaxes and 12+24hr TTs. That said, for those rides I make some interesting stuff. Potato pancakes with jam, spinach and bacon is nice as are peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Best energy food for endurance activities is still a toss-up between bananas and dates (medjool being the best).

I once had a guy tell me it was watermelon. Tricky to squeeze into a jersey pocket though.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    lawrences wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I once had a guy tell me it was watermelon. Tricky to squeeze into a jersey pocket though.

Edible helmet?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Winnipeg cycle chicks bars are wonderful, easy to make and you can customise them to what you like. Put them in the freezer so you don't eat them unless you're on the bike. You will need to wrap them up though

http://winnipegcyclechick.com/?p=4657
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Banana or fig rolls :)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ednino wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

How far do you ride? I do my 40 mile loop with 2 bottles of water

Its only 50+ miles that you should need to take food with you. The body has enough energy for about 2 hours without needing to top up

that would be for 100k plus, anything less than that and I would just take a bottle and shove a gel in my back pocket, just in case.