New CAAD 10 Frameset - Finish on carbon fork a bit iffy

paulmon
paulmon Posts: 315
edited January 2014 in Road general
I've just had my new CAAD 10 frameset delivered and whilst the frame itself is perfect I am less than impressed with the finish on the carbon forks. It looks like they have been partially painted at the top where the brake caliper sits and at the drop outs. The rest appears to be a nude/lacquer finish. I've been told that this is how its meant to be but I'm not convinced to be honest. I was expecting the forks to at least be painted the same colour of the frame.

I am probably going to take the frameset back but I cant decide if I'm being too picky or if there is actually an issue. Here are some images, your feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
12171812115_493f4e9f52_b.jpg
m00nigan, on Flickr

12172450986_fde9ae2d91_b.jpg

12170664445_ff2c206cb1_b.jpg

12170888133_a40082edab_b.jpg

12170886973_58dffdb79b_b.jpg

12170886693_e229a6b846_b.jpg

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just a means to show that the forks are carbon rather than alloy. It will have cost more to do it like this than to just spray them the same colour as the frame! Looks fine in the pics but ultimately, if you don't like it........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Picky? With wallpaper like that!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The forks are partially painted at the top because the steerer and crown are aluminium and the fork blades are carbon. The paint is there to cover the joint. In any case, I honestly can't see what the problem is, apart from the wallpaper... ;)
  • Where did you get the frameset , I thought Cannondale only sold complete bikes in the UK.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • paulmon
    Where did you get the frameset , I thought Cannondale only sold complete bikes in the UK.

I got the frameset as part of warranty claim for discoloured forks on my current CAAD10 but they are available to order in limited supply from a number of dealers. I got mine from Drakes in Leeds.
    Imposter wrote:
    The forks are partially painted at the top because the steerer and crown are aluminium and the fork blades are carbon. The paint is there to cover the joint. In any case, I honestly can't see what the problem is, apart from the wallpaper... ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense.
    Picky? With wallpaper like that!?

Thanks for your completely useless and irrelevant input.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234

:lol:
  • Where did you get the frameset , I thought Cannondale only sold complete bikes in the UK.

Westbroooks have them
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    There was a thread like this a month or so ago. The op from that thread had exactly the same issue with a white frame and forks not matching.

The guy from that thread contacted Cannondale and was told they're aware that there's actually a problem with the paint (nothing structural). They're just not shouting about it as it would cost them loads in having to replace people's forks.

Drop Cannondale an email.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • TheHound wrote:
    There was a thread like this a month or so ago. The op from that thread had exactly the same issue with a white frame and forks not matching.

The guy from that thread contacted Cannondale and was told they're aware that there's actually a problem with the paint (nothing structural). They're just not shouting about it as it would cost them loads in having to replace people's forks.

Drop Cannondale an email.

No, this one is meant to be like that.

The frame is anodized aluminum and the forks bare carbon.

its not a flaw, its the design.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My winter bike's like that. Metallic dark cherry red alu frame but a clear coat carbon weave fork. Looks rather stylish I think.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    keef66 wrote:
    My winter bike's like that. Metallic dark cherry red alu frame but a clear coat carbon weave fork. Looks rather stylish I think.

Well, style and taste are an individual thing. For example, do you own a suite of soft sports cars with matching personlized number plates?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    styxd wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Well, style and taste are an individual thing. For example, do you own a suite of soft sports cars with matching personlized number plates?

Nope. One of our Marketing chaps once took delivery of his new company BMW to find it had an accidentally personalised plate ending in WNK. Needless to say it was immediately dubbed the w@nkmobile :D
  • Imposter wrote:

No, the CAAD 10 fork is full carbon steerer and crown

It's UD finish carbon, and meant to be like that as other posters have alluded. No paint = light weight. This frame itself is anodised rather than painted
  • The forks on my Zero.8 are the same, paint fading to bare 3k back to paint, I like the effect, but its each to there own :D ....

12191558493_2264780841_z.jpg
    WP_20131230_009 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr
  • Wot an eedjut... deserves that the CAaD polis snatch it all back and give him a Triban... give us strength oh lord
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • paulmon
    Wot an eedjut... deserves that the CAaD polis snatch it all back and give him a Triban... give us strength oh lord

Was going to bite but it looks like the last useful contribution you made to a thread was way back at the start of 2012 :roll: :roll:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    PaulMon wrote:
    [

Thanks for your completely useless and irrelevant input.

No this is the most important thing to come out of the thread.

That wallpaper would be a crime in most counties in the UK other than Lancashire and is that a purple velour sofa in the back ground?

Fair play to you for putting that in the public domain :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem