Felt Carbon fork crack? warranty?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited January 2014 in Road general
Not sure if this should be in road general or workshop....

Whilst cleaning my Felt F85 after yesterdays ride i noticed an alarming looking crack on the inside of the front fork, from the drainage hole outwards.
Whilst it looks like a paint crack (albeit a rather large one), its impossible to see underneath it to see if there is any damage to the carbon.
The crack definitely was not there on saturday, and i cant recall hitting any potholes during yesterdays ride, so god knows what caused it.

I have contacted the online store i bought it from and sent them photos etc but not had a response yet.

With the bike being 18 months old, does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty if it does turn out to be a crack in the carbon? As far as i can see the small print on Felts website regarding the warranty fails to mention forks, only frames & components. I assumed it would be classed as part of the frame but after reading their website i'm not sure. Does anyone know?

If it is not covered under warranty does anyone know if you can buy replacement forks directly from Felt (or Saddleback)?

Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• A few manufacturers have longer guarantees and warranties than 12 months. My bike has a 5year one on frame and forks.
    Have eyou got any documentation from your purchase?usually it states it in there.

If its just a year (looking at felts website it might be) then see what the bike store says. Its hard getting OEM parts unless its in warrenty etc so you might have to get a new fork.
  • redvision
    Thanks for your reply rick,

Yes still have all original paper work, however the manual actually states that
    'The bike is guaranteed for 2 years against processing & material defects (as of date of purchase for initial buyer).'
    However, does not mention which parts, just to contact the place of purchase felt dealer.
    As you say, the website says only 1 year on components & three on the frame, but does not mention the forks.

Still waiting for the online retailer to get back to me.

Had a closer look this evening & it looks much worse than a paint crack.

Looking at replacement forks (just in case) but any idea how tell which 1 I would need?
    The felt is:
    Felt road UHC Performance carbon fibre monocoque fork. 100% carbon fibre, control taper technology 1.125 - 1.5 steerer
    I have been looking on ribble at this
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 4000000000
    However, I have been told that different forks can change the handling etc...

Thanks for you help
  • redvision wrote:

'The bike is guaranteed for 2 years against processing & material defects (as of date of purchase for initial buyer).'
    However, does not mention which parts, just to contact the place of purchase felt dealer.
    As you say, the website says only 1 year on components & three on the frame, but does not mention the forks.

Looking at replacement forks (just in case) but any idea how tell which 1 I would need?
    The felt is:
    Felt road UHC Performance carbon fibre monocoque fork. 100% carbon fibre, control taper technology 1.125 - 1.5 steerer

Thanks for you help

Hmmmm frame could be "frameset" which includes forks... however it could just be frame!!!
    I dont know - you will have to see what they say before anything else.

I would start looking like you have been just in case. You will have to make sure you match up the rake as well as the taper and headset size etc.
    I would take it to a reputable local bike shop if your unsure as they can fit a fork and new headset for you without the worry.

Its not that hard to replace a fork - but you will have to measure and cut the fork length a well as getting the size right.

Also noticed its says you have a a 100% full carbon fork- that might mean it ha no aluminium steerer. You might have to take the fork out to check.
    The Ribble fork is a alu/carbon one. They are usually cheaper and have more weight compared to full carbon. - double check this.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Ribble one is quite heavy! I have a Gran Fondo and the fork isn't the lightest. I have just ordered one of those though as a spare for my Gran Fondo - but then that's because it matches and I've never been fussed about that bikes weight.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvision
    redvision wrote:

The felt is:

Thanks for you help

Hmmmm frame could be "frameset" which includes forks... however it could just be frame!!!
    I dont know - you will have to see what they say before anything else.

I would start looking like you have been just in case. You will have to make sure you match up the rake as well as the taper and headset size etc.
    I would take it to a reputable local bike shop if your unsure as they can fit a fork and new headset for you without the worry.

Its not that hard to replace a fork - but you will have to measure and cut the fork length a well as getting the size right.

Also noticed its says you have a a 100% full carbon fork- that might mean it ha no aluminium steerer. You might have to take the fork out to check.
    The Ribble fork is a alu/carbon one. They are usually cheaper and have more weight compared to full carbon. - double check this.

Good spot with the ribble being alu/carbon, I hadn't noticed that in the description somehow :oops:

Think I will wait until I have a response about the warranty & if it's not covered then will follow your advice & get it to my lbs.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.