Cipollini Bond

Dazza993
Dazza993 Posts: 99
edited June 2016 in Your road bikes
My Cipollini Bond custom build, which is my pride and joy.

Took a while to get sorted but happy with the end result.

CipoBond-01.jpg

Ultegra 6800 11sp mechanical groupset
Mavic R-Sys wheels
Cinelli Neo Morph XL handlebars
Cinelli Neos stem
Selle Italia SLR titanium railed saddle
Speedplay Zero stainless steel pedals (might need to do something about the red pedal bodies !)

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice looking machine...
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Looks fantastic. Bars are a bit funny but function over form for contact points.

Needs deeper wheels, looks under-wheeled.

Please slam it and cut it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Defo needs slamming and deep section wheels, but awesome, cipollini are my favourite bikes, I've got my eye on one of these.

Nice mate.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Nice, very nice.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nice - but too many spacers...
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Nice, really like the colour of the frame.
  • Now you dont see many of those about.............love it! :D
  • Now you dont see many of those about.............love it! :D

That was one of the things that attracted me to the brand (and the fact they're 100% made in Italy)

Thanks for the comments. I know there's quite a few spacers under the stem but I'm not a fan of the fully slammed stem look, plus I've got the scope to remove spaces if necessary. Impossible to add once the steerer has been cut.

As for the wheels - I procrastinated for ages over what to buy. Initally I was set on 35mm Reynonds Attack carbon clinchers that the showroom bike was wearing, but stories of delamination on long descents put me off.

The R-Sys wheels are light (1355g) and it to get comparably light aero wheels the price was astronomical. Plus the white hubs complement the other white bits :D

The blue is a lot more vivid that the photo shows too.

I just need warmer/drier weather so I can ride it.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    R-sys are stunning wheels if you enjoy climbing and decending. I found the spokes give a very direct and stiff feel which was nice. I tried the yellow-rimmed original models several years ago.

The saddle makes it look like some kind of weapon. The Cinelli Graphis stem is also very pretty although discontinued now. It's quite striking looking.

Maybe you could slam it just for us and take a couple pictures then put it back as you like it :-D
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Beautiful bike. Always been a fan of Cipollinis.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Quite jealous, these are a rare beast these...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Fairly unique. Good call.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Strong.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    Looks great.

My LBS stock these and have a fluro yellow on show, it looks awesome. Let us know how you get on with it.
  • That is quite a good colour scheme, and a very good looking frame.

Hopefully it rides as nice as it looks!
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Fantastic looking bike......but the bars are hideous, sorry. What are they, Cinelli Neo Morphe?
  • Fantastic looking bike......but the bars are hideous, sorry. What are they, Cinelli Neo Morphe?
    Yeah, Neo Morph XLs. I like the quirky look to them. All the reviews I read we very positive on the comfort aspect of the bars.

I wish the weather would perk up. :cry: I'm dying to ride it.
  • Hey Dazza,
    I ordered my Cipollini Bond last week....same as colour as yours....sorry if you wanted to be exclusive :( . I looked at all the colours, but thought the blue was stunning. How are you getting on with it, have you ridden it yet?
    How long did it take for your frame to be built? I'm putting Sram Red on it, but still trying to decide what wheels.

You got some more pictures yet? :P
  • Saw one of these in mallorca today very nice in the flesh. I was riding in gateshead back in september. Dont buy deep wheels, sell this and buy a mountain bike jesus the roads were harsh! You must know some good routes for a bike like that. Enjoy looks lovley
  • Hey Dazza,
    I ordered my Cipollini Bond last week....same as colour as yours....sorry if you wanted to be exclusive :( . I looked at all the colours, but thought the blue was stunning. How are you getting on with it, have you ridden it yet?
    How long did it take for your frame to be built? I'm putting Sram Red on it, but still trying to decide what wheels.

You got some more pictures yet? :P

Ideally yes, I was hoping for a tad exclusivity but unless you live near Newcastle Upon Tyne then I can relax that I won't bump into you at one of the local sportives.

Build only took a week but I paid for the supplying dealer (Team Cycles) to do it. The Blue is very vivid under normal light and I'm like a magpie for blue shiny things (I've had more blue cars than any other colour). I spent ages deliberating on wheels. Deep section carbon wheels do look lovely and ones with white graphics would really complement the bike. But... I live at the top of a hill (about 550 ft) so always have a nice grippy climb to get home so plumped for light wheels (hence the R-Sys). Lightweight carbon clinchers are available but expensive. Most of my riding is dropping into/out of the Tyne and Derwent valleys so light weight rather than aero performance was the order of the day. I've still not ridden the bike yet :oops: but desperate to get out on it. Here's a non drive side photo and I'll post a few more photos over the weekend.
    CipoBond-02.jpg

I also felt compelled to buy a matching set of shoes (my last ones were Red/White/Black that simply clashed)

IMAG0198.jpg
  • :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Yea I'm looking at cosmic carbine black with white writing...maybe. Still trying to decide on spec. No worries re exclusivity...I'm in Surrey. As I'm having mine built as I need a small frame...I think I won't get it until end of March if I'm lucky. Love the shoes.
  • More photos for Mountain Fun - keep you going until yours arrives.
    Cipol-1.jpg

Cipol-2.jpg

Cipol-3.jpg

Cipol-4.jpg

Cipol-6.jpg

Cipol-9.jpg

Cipol-10.jpg
  • It looks fabulous....I'm counting the days for mine. Thanks for putting them on for me.
  • Mart74
    Can I ask, did you only have the Bond in mind for your new bike? Did you narrow it down to 2/3/4 and then choose the Cipollini? What made you go for this over the other (if any) choices?

Genuine question as I'm very keen on one myself
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    some great pics.... thanks...
  • Mart74 wrote:
    Can I ask, did you only have the Bond in mind for your new bike? Did you narrow it down to 2/3/4 and then choose the Cipollini? What made you go for this over the other (if any) choices?

I had for a while been hankering after a new bike, and Italian ones were at the forefront of my mind having seen a few exotics whilst on holiday in the Italian lakes.

Initially I'd wanted a Pinarello, a good friend has one, and I been wanting a Dogma 2 or K (or possibly an Kobh). It was almost by chance I stumbled across Cipollini - I'd never heard of the brand until I ventured into my LBS for a set of mudguards to fit a newly purchased Boardman CX bike I'd bought for the winter. The LBS (Team Cycles) had the Bond framesets in stock in the blue,red,white and silver and I was smitten from there on in.

I looked and considered a few others, Scapin bikes looked particularly sweet and rare too but trying to find one in the North East was difficult, so never got to see one in the 'flesh'. Kuoata also appealled but after a test ride on a Bond, I stuck with my initial gut instinct. Hand made (from carbon), Italian, rides well, looks good and rarity where my key requirements. IMO - the Cipollini Bond fulfils all of those. I think the Scapin bikes would have been the closest contender had a LBS had them available to view/ride.

I did also briefly consider a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX bike. Very light with a high spec so good value for money, but long lead times, no direct support and popularity put me off. By all accounts they're a superb ride so I wouldn't knock any one for choosing a Canyon.

I always preferred the idea of purchaing a frameset and then adding the bits I wanted. Some of the reasonably pricey (£2.5k+) Colnago bikes for example have mediocre wheels for example, plus it was fun reseaching all the components individually though you will often find totally opposing views on components - wheels in particular.

If you're going to be spending a big wedge of money, buy as much with your heart as your head. You've got to love the bike unless you've money to burn and can afford to change after a year or two.

Please keep us posted on what you go for (and pics when you have it)
  • Mart74
    Dazza993 wrote:
    Mart74 wrote:

I had for a while been hankering after a new bike, and Italian ones were at the forefront of my mind having seen a few exotics whilst on holiday in the Italian lakes.

Initially I'd wanted a Pinarello, a good friend has one, and I been wanting a Dogma 2 or K (or possibly an Kobh). It was almost by chance I stumbled across Cipollini - I'd never heard of the brand until I ventured into my LBS for a set of mudguards to fit a newly purchased Boardman CX bike I'd bought for the winter. The LBS (Team Cycles) had the Bond framesets in stock in the blue,red,white and silver and I was smitten from there on in.

I looked and considered a few others, Scapin bikes looked particularly sweet and rare too but trying to find one in the North East was difficult, so never got to see one in the 'flesh'. Kuoata also appealled but after a test ride on a Bond, I stuck with my initial gut instinct. Hand made (from carbon), Italian, rides well, looks good and rarity where my key requirements. IMO - the Cipollini Bond fulfils all of those. I think the Scapin bikes would have been the closest contender had a LBS had them available to view/ride.

I did also briefly consider a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX bike. Very light with a high spec so good value for money, but long lead times, no direct support and popularity put me off. By all accounts they're a superb ride so I wouldn't knock any one for choosing a Canyon.

I always preferred the idea of purchaing a frameset and then adding the bits I wanted. Some of the reasonably pricey (£2.5k+) Colnago bikes for example have mediocre wheels for example, plus it was fun reseaching all the components individually though you will often find totally opposing views on components - wheels in particular.

If you're going to be spending a big wedge of money, buy as much with your heart as your head. You've got to love the bike unless you've money to burn and can afford to change after a year or two.

Please keep us posted on what you go for (and pics when you have it)

Thanks for the reply, pretty much my thoughts exactly!

A bond was initially out of my budget but since upping that a bit and my LBS making one up with full ultegra for less that 4k (not great wheels though) it all of a sudden came within reach.

I've not ridden one yet but have been offered the LBS owners to try for the day (full DA though). I'm also really keen on a Wilier Cento1 SR which is the same sort of money. I love the look of both but really fancy the Bond as it's just so different. Need to ride both and see what/if I can tell the difference!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    nice. see one guy in cat 4 races at hillingdon on his. he must have some major insurance!

The r-sys wheels are pure climbing wheels, and are about as aero as a barn door.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    The r-sys wheels are pure climbing wheels, and are about as aero as a barn door.

That's what I'd hoped and planned for i.e. lightweight.
    As I live about 550ft up, I always have a hill to content with to get home after every ride.

Had I lived in Norfolk, some deepish section wheels would have been chosen. I can live with them not being aero - I'm not that fast anyway :oops:

If you can't be fast, at least be flash :wink: