Reverb Dropper...

Soggz
Soggz Posts: 221
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Ok,i wanna get one for my bike...I have an 18" GT,and i am 5'9"...
Do i get one with 100mm,or one with 125mm movement.?
Admittedly,i could prob do with a smaller frame,but i've has this bike for a few years and am comfortable with it.Its been tweaked with wider bars,shorter stem,e.t.c, but i am wondering about the length of the post as i dont want to order it to be wrong,then have to mess about sending stuff back.
Thanx in advance.

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Measure how much post fits in your frame, as well as how much post is exposed from the frame when at full height ATM. I don't know how much the bulge of the reverb is where it sits about the clamp, but let's say 5cm to be on the safe side, so if you have more than 17.5 cm sticking out, go for 125mm, less, go for 100mm . The more drop the better. Under 14cm and you won't be able to get one
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you still have the Suntour forks, buy new forks instead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Soggz
    ^^^ cheaper to get the dropper...and the forks still work ok.
  • Soggz
    Hmmm...my frame only seems to be 27.03mm wide...will a reverb fit,or are they too wide..?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Won't fit,and I'd rather have nice forks
  • cooldad
    It's probably 27.2 and no, reverb won't fit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Yep, but he could actually get really good forks for that.

Cheap cable operated one off Ebay and decent forks would make more sense.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Lev is poorly and in for warranty repair, as are others I've heard about on STW. I realise this isn't all Levs, by the way, and in no way represents a statistical analysis.

However, as above, decent (or great forks) and a cheaper dropper would be the right way round.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Forks, forks, forks, forks, forks.

(nice touch on the KS dropper to make the remote an ODI inner clamp btw)
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Yep, but he could actually get really good forks for that.

Cheap cable operated one off Ebay and decent forks would make more sense.

Agreed, decent forks would give more riding bank for his buck.
  • Soggz
    Really...im happy enough with my forks for the amount of riding i do...a dropper post would be more of an advantage for the trails i ride...Whats those 'Hilo' ones all about?,i really am on a budget as we are about to move house...
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Have you ridden better forks? Only then will you know the difference.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • cooldad
    There you go, right size, cheap as you'll get.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281205987507? ... 1438.l2649
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:

After reading the details I would be so, so tempted to remove the 'cover plate' on that, just to see what happened.
  • cooldad
    Just make sure the camera is rolling so we can see it on Youtube and laugh.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:

After reading the details I would be so, so tempted to remove the 'cover plate' on that, just to see what happened.

:lol: Go on, stick on some saftey goggles and satisfy everyone's curiosity. :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Soggz wrote:
    Really...im happy enough with my forks for the amount of riding i do...a dropper post would be more of an advantage for the trails i ride...

Now I'm just a newbie, but I can't see the logic in that statement - if you're riding trails gnarly enough to get any significant benefit from a dropper post then you'd certainly get more benefit from a better fork first. As someone else said, I'm guessing from that quote that you've not tried a better fork?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Soggz wrote:
    Really...im happy enough with my forks for the amount of riding i do...a dropper post would be more of an advantage for the trails i ride...

Now I'm just a newbie, but I can't see the logic in that statement - if you're riding trails gnarly enough to get any significant benefit from a dropper post then you'd certainly get more benefit from a better fork first. As someone else said, I'm guessing from that quote that you've not tried a better fork?

Trails don't have to be gnarly to make use of a dropper. I use mine all the time riding green and blue routes.
  • cheap as chips,works fine and 27.2mm: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bi-King-2013- ... 258870297e

I tried the above on my Hardtail as I wasn't convinced I needed one. I now have a Reverb on my FS too. Being able to get the seat out of the way and move the bike around beneath you more easily does make riding more enjoyable.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • cooldad
    That is a bargain. Been thinking about it for a while but at that price it's hard to say no.
    Even if the wait will be a while.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Certainly looks like a good deal, punkatron1, how long have you had it? I presume you got on well with it if you ended up getting a Reverb?
  • Ive had it for about 6-7 months. The main drawback is that its either up or down, no in-between position. I do notice this more now that I've got a Reverb, which can be put in to any position you like. Its still better than messing around with a quick release though.

Its a bit clunky to use, you need to learn where to apply pressure to help it down. But i've kept it on the bike and with a bit of TLC it should keep going for a while. Pretty pleased with it really, even if it is a bit agricultural in use.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Cheers for the feedback!
  • Soggz
    mcnultycop wrote:
    My Lev is poorly and in for warranty repair, as are others I've heard about on STW. I realise this isn't all Levs, by the way, and in no way represents a statistical analysis.

However, as above, decent (or great forks) and a cheaper dropper would be the right way round.
    Like i said,my forks work fine,im not that heavy,so they dont need to work too hard...
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    cooldad wrote:
    That is a bargain. Been thinking about it for a while but at that price it's hard to say no.
    Even if the wait will be a while.

I have an ice v8 one which I think is exactly the same. They do the job, but cable tension needs adjustment fairly often, I have also had problems with mine freezing on night rides meaning it wont stay up. Once you point downhill they arent the easiest to use, you may hit a section and want to raise the seat (which you cant do without bouncing your arse on the seat) or lower it slightly for other sections whilst at speed on tight singletrack all whilst feeling like you are going to dislocate your thumb trying to press the lever far enough to actuate the post. OK for the price but dont expect miracles. I now have a reverb, works 10x better but will reserve judgement until I see how reliable/unreliable it will be.
  • cooldad
    Most of the time I'm fine with the saddle up. Just sometimes on really steep bits I have to stop. So won't really be used a lot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fitting a dropper post while you have those forks is like trying to polish a turd.
    Quality forks will make a HUGE difference to your bike and the way it rides.
    A dropper post is nice but doesn't actually improve ride quality. I want one for my bike but forks absolutely had to come first.
  • Kowalski675
    Fitting a dropper post while you have those forks is like trying to polish a turd.
    A dropper post is nice but doesn't actually improve ride quality. I want one for my bike but forks absolutely had to come first.

CAWT.
  • Soggz

CAWT.
    whats 'CAWT'?