Orthodontics.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited February 2014 in The bottom bracket
Can anyone please help me with this. I,m hoping there may be one or more orthodontists on the forum and would like some advice.My daughter who is almost 14 had orthodontics, brace etc etc for two years and had her braces removed having been given the all clear last July.Last week out of the blue, we received a card from the orthodontists asking us to make an appointment asap. We made an appointment for this week and my daughter went by herself as she is used to going on her own having been many times before.
It turns out that the surgery has been taken over by two English orthodontists.(please remember i live in Holland). Having examined my daughters teeth the new orthodontists now say that they need to remove 3 teeth and start treatment all over again.Giving her an estimate of between 18 months to 2 years for the complete programme.Of course me and the ex wife are in shock. We have already spent the equivalent of about 3 thousand quid and now we have to do it all over again.
We made an appointment today with the ortho to discuss the whole business because we are non too happy about our daughter having to be treated again. Can any of you out there who may be in this field give me an idea as to what to ask when at this appointment. I feel as though we are being ripped off here. Once i,ve been to this appointment i will be contacting our medical insurance company to ask if they can help.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Second opinion?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Get a second opinion and quickly.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Your on the wrong part of the forum - most of the inhabitants of BB have no teeth (of their own).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Your on the wrong part of the forum - most of the inhabitants of BB have no teeth (of their own).

:lol::lol::lol: <
    Note the shiny white gnashers!
  • ademort
    Thanks for the replies much appreciated. I will seek a second opinion but first want to hear from the new orthodontists exactly what the problem is. If the first ortho has made a big mistake in treating my daughter i want to be able to say that when i go to the medical insurance office and of course i would like written proof that she has been treated incorrectly. Here in the Netherlands a medical insurance policy has a maximum amount which can be used for orthodontic treatment once you have exceeded that amount all costs are your own. Of course we exceeded that amount and paid a considerable amount above that to have the treatment done the first time round.
    If my daughter does need further tratment now as is suggested by the new orthodontists then every cent will have to be paid for by ourselves. I,m not looking forward to that. Whatever happens i will keep all informed as to the outcome. Roll on 7th February.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Find the bloke who turned Shane McGowan
    37.jpg

into

shane-McGowan_620_1728144a.jpg
  • No expert here but are you/is your daughter currently happy with how here teeth look? Currently have one child under going the whole process and our idea of how successful the whole process is will be how she feels at the end of it all as she is currently very conscious of how her teeth look. After answering that first you can begin to question further the desire of these new bods to carry out further work.

I do know that I wouldn't consider for one minute paying them a penny more should you deem further work required - no way should you pay for someone else' F up.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    remembering back about 40 years....

I think I was told that if I wanted a brace on my teeth, then I would have to have some of the teeth removed from my upper set to allow room for the ones they would need to pull back. Even at that time I had a mouth full of fillings (ah, what fluoride has done for the world of dentistry :cry: wish I had it sooner), and the teeth they wanted to remove were the only ones not filled.

As I type this, I seem to remember that they said I couldn't have a brace, and the above work was to stop the overbite getting any worse. Whatever, I didn't have anything else done and nothing seemed to change.

I wonder if the problem with your daughters teeth could be similar? Perhaps they put a brace on and either through incompetence or in all good faith, they missed the fact that they would have to take teeth out to make room and something's changed as she grew up.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Bugs Bunny made a good living back in the day ... Just leave things as they are ...
  • I am a general dentist, not an orthodontist, but 25 years on the job tells me something doesnt smell right here.
    I would suggest you book an appointment with the new guy to get an explanation as to what is actually going on.
    Either
    1.They are trying to cover up some disastrous mistreatment, in which case you should be pursuing the first dentist for recourse. (This seems unlikely to me if you and your daughter are happy with the outcome, and if this was the case, I would expect them to be totally upfront about it)
    2. They have a fundamental difference of opinion as to how to treat - there are 2 schools of thought AFAIK, on which advocates extractions, the other not - the argument being that if you avoid extractions, relapse in later life is far more likely. In this scenario, I would expect a frank discussion on fees. I would seek a 2nd opinion in this case.
    3. They are pulling a fast one - I would hope unlikely, but these days nothing surprises me!

Cant give any more guidance with the limited info available, but as I say, in these cases, I always suggest speaking to the dentist before pursuing other avenues.
  • ademort
    Appreciate what your saying but won,t know anything until i,ve been to speak to them. As said above will keep you informed. But put it this way, they better have a bloody good excuse for wanting to start treatment again.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I had 'orthodontics' carried out on me in my teens by an English dentist, when he wasn't skiing in Courcheval. Removal of 4 teeth. 2 top/2 bottom. Apparently I had and over crowded mouth. I am now in my late 40s and wish I did have an over crowded mouth of teeth. As one gets older, teeth migrate/move and one side of my mouth is very gappy now, thanks to the dentist.
    Get a second opinion.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Ife sthtopped going to the frippin denthist, buncth of crookths.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ademort
    We visited the Orthodontist yesterday it turned out that my daughter was given some sort of removable brace during her treatment but told the ortho that it was painful and she certainly couldn,t sleep with it in her mouth. The ortho at the time said OK just don,t wear it then. This is where the problem has arisen from. There should have been a modification to this item and there was not as a result certain teeth are not perfect anymore and the only option is to fit blocks again to solve the problem.
    I spoke to the owner of the practice and explained our situation this has cost a fortune and we are not happy about another course of treatment. Eventually the agreement we reached was that they will pay for the treatment and i will pay the administration fee which is about 25 quid.Good result all round i think. :D
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura