Keeping White Winter Jackets Clean, well still White

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Been wanting to get new winter cycling jacket for a while and I'd like a change from my usual red/black or just black.

Can a decent white winter jacket will it stay white when washed through the winter? Any extra special care required?

Jackets in mind are the Pearl Izumi Men's Pro Softshell 180 Jacket or the Gore Bike Wear Phantom other recommendations welcome.

Thx
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Cycle on your own with mudguards.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • FitzM
    On a turbo too? :-)
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The mud and water beads up nicely on my Phantom and it always washes very well. Despite some filthy rides, on and off road, there are no stains and the colour is bright..... But it's red, not white !

I spray it occasionally with a Grangers proofing spray, which may help, but to be honest, I think it best to steer clear of white for the winter.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Not white surely, black and white fine ...
  • Got an Endura FS 260 and it has been used all winter on a bike with mudgards. It still looks ok.
  • FitzM
    giant man wrote:

It has some black but not much :-)
  • FitzM wrote:
    Can a decent white winter jacket will it stay white when washed through the winter?

No
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    yes, castelli quantum radiation jacket, 5 winters, still white, amazing fabric (always washed it with assos cleanser)

if i'd known how good a jacket it was, i'd have bought a couple extra, as when it eventually wears out i've not seen anything near as good to replace it with
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    edited January 2014
    Why would you buy white winter clothing?
    Even if you use mudguards you still end up covered in road crud, salt, grit, oil, mud and...blood.
  • FitzM
    Bozman wrote:
    and...blood.

I'm a cyclist not a gladiator :o
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Had 2 mavic white jackets. Returned both as could not get mud out from group rides. Don't waste your money! I now only were black jackets. Clean as whistles! Get a white helmet or white bike for visibility!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got a couple of Castelli jackets with white panels - Gore fabrics and they're still gleaming white after 5 winters. Some makes use inferior fabrics, including a certain 'A' brand that look manky after one ride. Stick with Gore fabrics and you'll have few problems IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    Bozman wrote:
    Why would you buy white winter clothing?
    Even if you use mudguards you still end up covered in road crud, salt, grit, oil, mud and...blood.

to be seen more easily on grim murky winter days, plus it looks cooler

as m' leared friend mr m dog points out, good white stuff stays white
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I have nothing against white but I'd hate to pay a small fortune for a jacket and the find that a 30 wash won't get it clean. I had a Santini orbit soft shell and on its first wash the white trim went grey and that sort of put me off white.

Doesn't some of the Assos white turn yellow?
  • FitzM
    giant man wrote:

Have ordered a black and WHITE jacket. I'll see how the white survives the Winter. If it still looks good come the Spring, maybe I'll buy a White jacket when the Winter apparel is reduced :-)