N-1?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Anyone intentionally streamlined down to one bike? I'm thinking of doing it.

As I've blabbed on in several other threads, I'm totally besotted by my CR1 and have started using it on the daily commute. The Fratello I used to use is now gathering dust and has to go. My initial thought was to look towards building something up that gives me just as much fun as the CR1 and then I can go back to using the CR1 for posh only. The problem then was, I was finding myself speccing bikes that will end up costing at least as much as the CR1 did, and should therefore be treated just as carefully.

I'm sure plenty of people would tell me to go cheap on a commuter, but the commute is 90% of my riding and I want to be able to enjoy it to the full.

My thinking now is to save the money I'd spend on another bike and use it to cover any extra maintainance costs the CR1 will require and maybe buy a really nice set of wheels for non commuter stuff.

I should probably state that I will inevitably change my mind on all of this tomorrow.

Comments

• Keep the CR1 as your commuter and save up to buy something even better to use as your good bike!
  • I'm sure plenty of people would tell me to go cheap on a commuter

Not anyone on here, surely!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Keep the Fratello. Eventually you'll get annoyed at commuting taking it's toll on the CR1 (first time you have to change the BB for a start as that's an LBS job) and you'll take the Fratello and decide it's wonderful again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Anyone intentionally streamlined down to one bike? I'm thinking of doing it.

As I've blabbed on in several other threads, I'm totally besotted by my CR1 and have started using it on the daily commute. The Fratello I used to use is now gathering dust and has to go. My initial thought was to look towards building something up that gives me just as much fun as the CR1 and then I can go back to using the CR1 for posh only. The problem then was, I was finding myself speccing bikes that will end up costing at least as much as the CR1 did, and should therefore be treated just as carefully.

I'm sure plenty of people would tell me to go cheap on a commuter, but the commute is 90% of my riding and I want to be able to enjoy it to the full.

My thinking now is to save the money I'd spend on another bike and use it to cover any extra maintainance costs the CR1 will require and maybe buy a really nice set of wheels for non commuter stuff.

I should probably state that I will inevitably change my mind on all of this tomorrow.

I have reduced down bikes, I did have nice MTB and a SS roadie for commuting/trips into surrey hills.

I found that I just didn't use any other bikes, though handy for the moment that I have the old MTB which I'm going to use for getting back on the road/commuting while the nice MTB and roadie wait for me.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    thinking of selling the MTB, as it's not getting the usage it should really
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Gary Fisher Triton and Cooper Reims have both gone in the last year and the Langster went the year before. They just weren't getting any use. Have upgrades in mind for the Boardman but having gone through a few years of buying lots of kit I'm going a bit more for quality over quantity with the next round of spending :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Keep the Fratello. Eventually you'll get annoyed at commuting taking it's toll on the CR1 (first time you have to change the BB for a start as that's an LBS job) and you'll take the Fratello and decide it's wonderful again.

The Fratello has to go whatever. It was a silly knee-jerk purchase of mine. I'd decided that my 56cm Equilibrium was too long for me (it was) and decided I would keep an eye out for a smaller secondhand Equilibrium or Fratello frame. A 52 Fratello came up on eBay, which I thought I could make work and so I bought it, but it's clearly too small. I could sell it on as a frameset or I could sell it as a complete bike. It just depends on what I want to do about a commuter.

If I do go for another dedicated commuter I won't go for heavy steel again. I'd want something that has the very quick, very light, responsive feel of the CR1. I was considering an aluminium frame for this reason, but I'm nervous it would feel harsh on crappy London roads. I then thought about a Kinesis Granfondo ti, but that's when the price began to escalate. :)
  • dhope wrote:
    The Gary Fisher Triton and Cooper Reims have both gone in the last year and the Langster went the year before. They just weren't getting any use. Have upgrades in mind for the Boardman but having gone through a few years of buying lots of kit I'm going a bit more for quality over quantity with the next round of spending :D

the SS is less maintenance, though being heavy and liking hills cheap chains would stretch to beyond use within a month, so tended for slightly more upmarket ones.

it's presently in the shop having most parts replaced!
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    I am going through this dilemma at the moment as well. Opposite situation to you though - my fratello is getting all the use and my cervelo none. The fratello is so comfortable, planted and perfect fit but it is heavy. The cervelo is just not good for the commute and all my recreational riding has been XC MTB for the last couple of years. So thinking of selling both and buying a bespoke high grade steel bike with clearance for mudguards and half-decent components for year-round all types of road use.

If your fratello doesnt fit then it has to go. Nothing wrong with using the CR1 for everything just be prepared for more maintenance on it. Maybe get a set of sturdy commuting wheels and tyres to swap over as required.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • Given all your requirements and wishes I have discovered the ideal replacement bike for you, enjoy!
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec054447
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Anyone intentionally streamlined down to one bike? I'm thinking of doing it.

Yep, and don't regret it for a moment. I have different sets of wheels and take the guards off for summer, but otherwise I ride an Equilibrium everywhere.

It means I only have to maintain the one bike, and because I use it more or less daily it always has to be pretty well looked after. Carbon frame is now sitting in the attic... Poor thing.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Asprilla wrote:

The Fratello has to go whatever. It was a silly knee-jerk purchase of mine. I'd decided that my 56cm Equilibrium was too long for me (it was) and decided I would keep an eye out for a smaller secondhand Equilibrium or Fratello frame. A 52 Fratello came up on eBay, which I thought I could make work and so I bought it, but it's clearly too small. I could sell it on as a frameset or I could sell it as a complete bike. It just depends on what I want to do about a commuter.

If I do go for another dedicated commuter I won't go for heavy steel again. I'd want something that has the very quick, very light, responsive feel of the CR1. I was considering an aluminium frame for this reason, but I'm nervous it would feel harsh on crappy London roads. I then thought about a Kinesis Granfondo ti, but that's when the price began to escalate. :)

If you get the right Alu frame it won't be harsh. My Italia gives a smoother ride than the 00.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I should get rid of:

- RockHopper Pro Disc (in the shed, never used)
    - my 531c steel road bike (in the shed, never used)
    - my old RockHopper (broken axle, seized seatpost)

Should; but probably won't.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I need to get rid of my Dolan, and then should probably get rid of the MTB and replace it with something modern. Although had it for 15 years so there is some attachment to it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I tend not to get rid of bikes. Last one I got rid of was in 1992 I think, a 5 geared very early mountain bike. My bikes tend to evolve so they still have a purpose. My hard tail MTB is now a slicked and mudguarded all seasons commuter. My first adult racer is now the winter bike / crit bike. I also have a best bike, which has been blinged up, and a hard tail mountain bike (the top of the range version of the one I got in 1992 which I picked up last year for £25!) that I need to get some full knobblies on and get out in the mud to give a good thrashing to at some point. They are all worth more to me than their resale value, except ironically the best bike.
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    I think you have already had the answer.

You love your CR1, so keep riding it. Put the saved money towards a best set of wheels/or a commuting set (depends what you have on already) and the extra maintenance costs and continue to ride the bike you love riding.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Seems to me that your 'love' of your CR1 is reaching dangerous levels and may be clouding your vision.

What you need to do is get rid of the CR1 immediately - I'll take it off your hands for a song. You know it makes sense.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • I always wanted a second bike, for winter. Bought it and never rode it as it was drudgery. I just have one bike and ride it all the time, commute 150 miles during the week wash it down Friday night and ride it at the weekend if I feel like it. Upgraded the Roubaix when I came off it and now commute on a very expensive SuperSix and love it, people think I a nuts..
  • Thanks for your thoughts, all.

I'm still torn. On the one hand I'm only using Zondas, which are pretty reasonably priced, so no big deal if I need to replace them, and I suspect all moving parts on the Chorus groupset that are likely to get worn aren't going to cost the earth to replace, but on the other, I've just been cleaning the bike and it's heart breaking to see it all cacked up with grit and sh*t.

A second, cheaper CR1's not a bad idea and in some ways I wish I'd bought a Pro frameset when I had the chance. But then even if I had, I'd probably want Zondas on it anyway and at least a Centaur groupo.

We shall see.