replacing a helmet after a minor crash

duke duvet
duke duvet Posts: 61
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Yesterday I had an off at about 25mph on a very wet grassy slope. Back wheel went and a speedway style slide ensued until both me and bike hit the ground.

As I went over my shoulder took the brunt of the force then my helmet hit the ground with a thud. It was a glancing impact as I was sliding along the grass. Had a thumping head for about 30 seconds then fine. That's when the pain from my shoulder kicked in...

There is no visible damage and as the grass was softish due to all the rain could I still use it or would it be wise to get a new helmet. Have had it about three years.

Thankfully no serious damage all round but advice would be helpful.

Comments

• kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I was in a similar crash a few months ago. Head hit ground helmet looked ok but on closer inspection a hairline crack between two vents. I had to carry on but bought new helmet the next week. Just not worth the risk really.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would replace it after a good bash. At three years old you have had good value from it anyway.
  • thanks for the advice chaps, better safe than sorry. Have seen some Kali Chakra Plus helmets for £30 which fits my tight budget just now.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Bought one of these for my other half for £30...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

Like it better than my SixSixOne Recon Stealth that was twice the price so, if she's not riding, I grab the Uvex instead. Good coverage, really comfy, light and cool. If I were buying another lid for myself I'd buy this over the 661.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    duke duvet wrote:
    Had a thumping head for about 30 seconds then fine.

Replace it - it might not do it's job next time, damage isn't always externally visble to the naked eye. If it's had that much of a knock then chances are that the EPS liner is at least partially compressed.
  • Angus that's a good recommendation with the uvex. To be honest the Met that I was wearing cost about £40 and has no where near the features or coverage of either the uvex or chakra. Seems a good opportunity to upgrade to a better helmet especially as they have more coverage for protection.

Many thanks to everyone for tips and comments, much appreciated. Was amazed after a day and a half that my shoulder had better movement and last night was able to sleep on it. All being well should be riding again soon. :)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    duke duvet wrote:
    Angus that's a good recommendation with the uvex.

Wish I'd come across it before I bought the 661!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607