Women only Road Race coaching

andcp
andcp Posts: 644
edited February 2014 in Women's cycling forum
Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but one of the ladies in our club is trying to get some interest in women only road race coaching, please see below:-

"I'm looking at arranging a women’s only road race coaching session at Darley Moor circuit within the next few months.

This will be aimed at beginner and novice level riders giving them the knowledge and skills needed to start racing. There will be a women's 3rd and 4th category only race several weeks later at the circuit.

3/4 women only races are extremely rare, so this would make an excellent opportunity for participants to try out their new skills in a supportive environment.

The session is for women who are keen to give cycle racing a go, plus riders who have raced and are keen to refresh or expand their knowledge with an eye on moving up the categories. The session will be structured in a way that allows all riders to participate at their own level of ability and there will be no instances of novice riders feeling ‘out of their depth.’

The session will be delivered by Huw Williams a British Cycling level 3 road and TT coach.

The session is aimed at developing essential skills in novice and 4th category riders but more experienced 3rd category racers returning to the sport are welcome and would find them useful.

The 4-hour session will be progressive, on a dedicated, traffic-free circuit where participants will learn the techniques, skills, tactics and group riding etiquette needed to race. I'm also considering an off the bike skills session covering training theory, basic mechanics (changing a tube, adjusting breaks) bike cleaning and basic nutrition.

The cost will be approximately £20 per rider per session payable on the day.

Before I make any firm arrangements I need a rough idea of how many women are interested. If you are interested (or want further details) please email elisamcdonagh@gmail.com by 30th January.

Please forward this email on to anyone you know who may be interested.

I look forward to hearing from you

Happy cycling

Elisa"

I believe Elisa has already had a very positive response.

Go on, you know you want to....

Andy.
"It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill

Comments

• I am interested, where in the uk is this taking part please? I'm from the north east
  • andcp
    Hi suzygarbo,

This event will take place at Darley Moor circuit which is about 3 miles south of Ashbourne, Derbyshire.

http://www.darleymoor.co.uk/

Andy.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Do you know if they are going ahead with some women only racing at Darley? That is what is really needed - coaching is great and welcomed but at the moment there isn't much for it to lead into round here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andcp
    From the first post: "There will be a women's 3rd and 4th category only race several weeks later at the circuit." - I don't know how many races or when, but I do know that Elisa is very keen to get this up and running.

Andy
  • andcp
    Update - Apologies for any cross posting or if you've already seen this on Facebook and responded.

Women only RR - the organisers (Ashfield RC) have now set up a Facebook thread to gauge interest in these two potential women only circuit races at Darley Moor on 7th June and 12th July.

To make these happen we need as many of you to post in this thread as possible. It's only an expression of interest not a commitment at this stage. If there isn't enough interest these women only races won't happen and that'd be a real shame.

Please post in this thread and share it on Facebook and Twitter. Please forward this email on to everyone you know.
    https://www.facebook.com/sally.maier1/p ... 8168918743

And don't forget Matlock Cycling Club are definitely holding a women only 3/4 circuit race at Darley Moor on 4th May at 2pm. Details to follow.